The fabled Freo March to the MCG and Parade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Usually, the Victorians hold a certain level of disdain for interlopers coming over the borders for the grand final. They actually liked the horde, found you all to be good sorts, good in the taxis and pubs, good on the streets etc.

Yeah I have never watched any part of the game again.
It was the fastest 3 hours of my life. I remember being in a bit of a daze during the game, as we left cries of '* off back to Perth!' from the piss and poo ferals who had set up little drinking circles outside the ground. It didnt effect me though, and they werent to know, I was already gone :'(.

I remember 1 old guy in hawthorn colours in the middle of the march to the MCG just saying to me "I've never seen anything like this" It really stuck with me. Made me think, we are Freo, we do things differently!

won't post any of the messy aftermath at the Great Britain in Richmond. nobody needs to see those...
How was the GB that night? For a little while me and a close mate abused the weekday happy hours there: 3-6 it was $8 pints of anything. Being students and piss aficionados it would always end one way: nothing but nice IPAs for two hours, playing pool, solving the world's troubles...

Me and my girlfriend tried going there a few months ago to have a pint on a Monday arvo and I was not so surprised to see cranes pulling it apart. Apartments o course.

I remember the night after the Grand Final. A lot of my mates back then supported Hawthorn. I always liked the Hawks. None of them came to the city and instead I was by myself. I'd met a girl earlier that year and I talked her into coming out. We sat on some bar on Smith Street and all I remember is she drank this pink cider. Pink cider!? What a time to be alive. Guess it was. Never saw her again.

How was the GB that night? For a little while me and a close mate abused the weekday happy hours there: 3-6 it was $8 pints of anything. Being students and piss aficionados it would always end one way: nothing but nice IPAs for two hours, playing pool, solving the world's troubles...

Me and my girlfriend tried going there a few months ago to have a pint on a Monday arvo and I was not so surprised to see cranes pulling it apart. Apartments o course.

I remember the night after the Grand Final. A lot of my mates back then supported Hawthorn. I always liked the Hawks. None of them came to the city and instead I was by myself. I'd met a girl earlier that year and I talked her into coming out. We sat on some bar on Smith Street and all I remember is she drank this pink cider. Pink cider!? What a time to be alive. Guess it was. Never saw her again.
the GB was a good antidote for the game & the result. there were about a half dozen of us all drowning our sorrows in an inviting location. my first drink when I arrived was a shot of something medicinal, and it was pints from there. but yeah it's no longer there, which is becoming an all-too familiar story unfortunately

Can't believe it's been so many years. Remember taking my pup to the parade, even got a photo with Shaun Mac.

GF day itself was a blur... drowned my sorrows hard.

I woke up that morning and genuinely thought we were going to win it. That performance down in Geelong was one of the most cut throat, serious performances I've seen from any team. I don't think any Melbourne, Adelaide, whatever club could have won that final. The Sydney game was just a waste of time – we were clinical, it was all Freo. Written on the grass, that one.

I remember walking home and I just thought 'ah, next year.'

That month was the best of my life. Youth dripped off every interaction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back