Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
WB2KPkS.jpg

Three words - Palm Beach Currumbin.

Current state champions at both QAFL and school level.

We have six PBC players on our list right now - Joyce, Scheer, Spencer, Crossley, Dawson and Heron.

This is OUR factory.

I wanted a thread to discuss everything PBC related.

They put the icing on the cake. Often their best kids just do year 11/12 there. To me it’s the parents, junior clubs and junior coaches that don’t get enough credit.
PBC is my local school and I’m Very proud that my Local Public High School does this work, don’t get me wrong, but yeah they do a good job of producing quality Icing.

It's a GF rematch this Saturday at 2pm when Labrador head to Salk Oval. Should be an interesting match and maybe a few future Suns will be on display!

They put the icing on the cake. Often their best kids just do year 11/12 there. To me it’s the parents, junior clubs and junior coaches that don’t get enough credit.
PBC is my local school and I’m Very proud that my Local Public High School does this work, don’t get me wrong, but yeah they do a good job of producing quality Icing.
I've only properly lived on the GC a few years but this is my 2 cents after reading articles and comments from you guys who know the local scene well.

I definitely these junior coaches and clubs need more credit. It's a bit cheeky to poach them and take the praise.

On a macro level I think it is good for the AFL on the GC as eventually commentators, media, scouts etc will realise how much quality is coming from one school which only helps rid of the farcical perception by Victorians that AFL is irrelevant on the GC. It is growing immensely. Even in my time here it has been so noticeable.

My mate is primary school teacher at Pacific Pines and has been for over 10 years (Lions fan... Bless him) and he said he has been blown away by the growth of AFL in that school alone. Kids used to all wear rugby guernseys and throw the rugby ball at breaks. Now he says AFL is absolutely dominant - its footy guernseys and sherrins. Awesome s**t.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

As all Suns fans know though it isn't dumb luck. The Suns make a genuine commitment to the community. Said it is chalk n cheese between the Sun's visits at the school compared to the Titans. The Suns players actually enjoy it and give a s**t plus come out far more often.

As all Suns fans know though it isn't dumb luck. The Suns make a genuine commitment to the community. Said it is chalk n cheese between the Sun's visits at the school compared to the Titans. The Suns players actually enjoy it and give a s**t plus come out far more often.

Suns and Titans do diddly squat in the Tweed Shire in terms of school visits.
They both do maybe one school holidays coaching clinic per year.
Both Clubs would be wise to step it up down there.
It’s only a random line that separates Coolangatta from Tweed Heads.

I went to Palm Beach primary school back in the early 1980s. We weren’t allowed to have a rugby league team as it was deemed too rough and dangerous, however our school principal Mr Brittain, a lovely man, let us have our own Aussie Rules team. I suspect now, with that surname he was a man who followed “the rules”. The matches against Coolangatta in particular got pretty fiery especially when we beat them, they were sore losers.

I went to Palm Beach primary school back in the early 1980s. We weren’t allowed to have a rugby league team as it was deemed too rough and dangerous, however our school principal Mr Brittain, a lovely man, let us have our own Aussie Rules team. I suspect now, with that surname he was a man who followed “the rules”. The matches against Coolangatta in particular got pretty fiery especially when we beat them, they were sore losers.

My kids also went to Palm Beach primary back in the late 80's then went onto Elanora High.....

We need a Public High School on the Northern end of the GC to have a similar program.
Keebra Park comes to mind purely because it too has an awesome Rugby League program and is already big and used to sporting excellence.

We need a Public High School on the Northern end of the GC to have a similar program.
Keebra Park comes to mind purely because it too has an awesome Rugby League program and is already big and used to sporting excellence.

There’s a certain demographic around Keebra that explains their rugby success which is precisely the reason another demographic you’re more likely to find on the Southern GC is turning to AFL
(This post is like the Da Vinci code !)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Helensvale is the closest to that. A lot of sports stars to come from helensvale high.

That would be Helensvale High. They run an AFL sports excellence like PBC. A few of our players have come from there like Rory Thompson and Andrew Boston. If you have a look through their QCup school team you'll notice quite a few of our academy kids attend the 'Vale. PBC and Helensvale have absolutely dominated the QLD state cup, to the point where I think they've won at least the last 10 in a row and often met in the final.

I'd love to see Helensvale take that next step and become ultra competitive against PBC. That would be amazing for local GC footy and the PBC-Helensvale rivalry!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went to Southport High. Mean streets! We played Rugby League and were banned from playing Aussie Rules because someone always got knocked out - 360 degree awareness was foreign to us and every one of knew how to tackle to inflict pain, so it was only a matter of time before a hospital pass was thrown and a grudge got settled.
I was 1 year too old to be in the first year of Helensvale. We used to call Keebra Park kids planets because their heads were so big. They'd thrash us, but we'd bash them. Good times!

I went to Southport High. Mean streets! We played Rugby League and were banned from playing Aussie Rules because someone always got knocked out - 360 degree awareness was foreign to us and every one of knew how to tackle to inflict pain, so it was only a matter of time before a hospital pass was thrown and a grudge got settled.
I was 1 year too old to be in the first year of Helensvale. We used to call Keebra Park kids planets because their heads were so big. They'd thrash us, but we'd bash them. Good times!
Ha, yeah i lived down the other end of the coast 15 years back. Went to St Andrews lutheran, very small school at the time unfortunately never had the opportunity to play AFL it was either soccer, touch or basketball. By the time i was in year 12 however times were changing and even had the opportunity to forgo a school sport to be an assistant coach for the grade 9 team. One game we played all the kids seemed to be twice the size of our kids, so when one of our boys went down injured the coach pushed me out onto the field and said just dont tell anyone your age. Those grade 9's cleaned me up. Think they were from burleigh state.

It's a GF rematch this Saturday at 2pm when Labrador head to Salk Oval. Should be an interesting match and maybe a few future Suns will be on display!

Was reading in the GCB about how Barry Hall has quit playing for Labrador due to drunken reserve grade players most notably the PBC players yelling abuse.

I read in another article a few weeks ago how the abuse directed at Hall included being about his wife, his young child and how Hall has become a father later in life. And that his wife happened to be there in the crowd hearing such tripe.

That coupled with the Cricket Pitch Destruction at the end of last year and I’m starting to get PRETTY DAMMED PISSED OFF at my local team down the road the PBC Lions.

Where the hell is anything that resembles basic leadership down there????

That AFL Club would want to stop being an embarrassment to our residents and local community.

Was reading in the GCB about how Barry Hall has quit playing for Labrador due to drunken reserve grade players most notably the PBC players yelling abuse.

I read in another article a few weeks ago how the abuse directed at Hall included being about his wife, his young child and how Hall has become a father later in life. And that his wife happened to be there in the crowd hearing such tripe.

That coupled with the Cricket Pitch Destruction at the end of last year and I’m starting to get PRETTY DAMMED PISSED OFF at my local team down the road the PBC Lions.

Where the hell is anything that resembles basic leadership down there????

That AFL Club would want to stop being an embarrassment to our residents and local community.
And so Barry Hall is an Angel.....??
We all remember the Staker incident - the guy has a short fuse and can't hack pressure. He's easily distracted from his game particularly when things aren't going the best for him. He should have been reported twice in last years Grand Final for at worst attempted striking (can't have landed them - as the player managed to keep playing). One was against a kid (Caleb Graham).
I was in the stands with those so called abusers. Not once did I hear any abuse directed to his family. In fact I'm not sure he was even a father back then.
Yes Palmy supporters are vocal and get a message out there.
I particularly liked the "Barrie Hall , Barrie Hall he can't catch a Ball " chant that went on thoughout the last half.
Baz dropped several marks and had a particularly dirty day....

And so Barry Hall is an Angel.....??
We all remember the Staker incident - the guy has a short fuse and can't hack pressure. He's easily distracted from his game particularly when things aren't going the best for him. He should have been reported twice in last years Grand Final for at worst attempted striking (can't have landed them - as the player kept playing). One was against a kid (Caleb Graham).
I was in the stands with those so called abusers. Not once did I hear any abuse directed to his family. In fact I'm not sure he was even a father back then.
Yes Palmy supporters are vocal and get a message out there.
I particularly liked the "Barrie Hall , Barrie Hall he can't catch a Ball " chant that went on thoughout the last half.
Baz dropped several marks and had a particularly dirty day....

No way is he an angel but I don’t like the bad press as I live here. It’s suxh a good area, lifestyle good, never have any dramas but the PBC Lions Club is generating bad press.
Also I like having Ex Footballers play the QAFL, it’s great publicity.
I’m sure you would understand that’s where I’m coming from.

What did you think of the comments that the Labrador Coach made about crowd behaviour in the QAFL?

No way is he an angel but I don’t like the bad press as I live here. It’s suxh a good area, lifestyle good, never have any dramas but the PBC Lions Club is generating bad press.

What did you think of the comments that the Labrador Coach made about crowd behaviour in the QAFL?
Seem to recall that Labradors President had to publicly apologise to Broadbeach AFC for racial abuse of players by Labrador supporters late last year...
So hope he's referring to all QAFL supporters...his own included !
After all this Bad Press - should be a cracking first game at Salk this weekend.....

Last edited:
Seem to recall that Labradors President had to publicly apologise to Broadbeach AFC for racial abuse of players by Labrador supporters late last year...
So hope he's referring all QAFL supporters...his own included !
After all this Bad Press - should be a cracking first game at Salk this weekend.....

Yeah the Labrador Coach (who’s an Ex AFL Player but I can’t think of his name) did say that his club was not immune either to anti social behaviour
I won’t be able to be at the game unfortunately

I played for Robina about 10 years ago and i heard alot of horror stories about that club. I dont think theyve ever had a good rap. Even in my schooling days PBC was full of delinquents. I agree great area my wifes family lives in elanora but the youth have always tainted it.

I played for Robina about 10 years ago and i heard alot of horror stories about that club. I dont think theyve ever had a good rap. Even in my schooling days PBC was full of delinquents. I agree great area my wifes family lives in elanora but the youth have always tainted it.
PBC suffers the Collingwood syndrome - everybody hates them ... especially when wanting to make claim to the high moral ground.
Lions are a successful club that gets up peoples noses. But truthfully as a club they are no different to Labrador, Broadbeach or even Southport.
If they were such a "bad " club why would the Suns Academy place potential future players with it...
And how many current Suns players have played QAFL for Palm Beach Currumbin ?
( hint : refer photo at start of thread and add a couple)

Last edited:
The Factory took down Labrador 9.11 (65) to 7.9 (51) to open their 2018 QAFL season with a win. Perhaps the most exciting news to come from the game was 16 year old Coby Williams was best on for Palmy. He's already 185cms so here's hoping we have another future Sun on our hands!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back