The Facts and Fiction Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok guys. It seems we are being inundated with tweets, threads, posts, newspaper articles, radio comments etc etc.

Thought a thread for the fear and Stupidity should made.
That way it doesnt bog up the real media thread.

Post em here.

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne...greater-western-sydney-giants-academy-rights/

What Eddie is trying to do here is deceive Pies members into believing that he's not 100 per cent responsible for their multi-year 'on field' disaster.

In reality, Eddie knows what he says in the linked piece is nonsense. This is the sort of misinformation you've got to put out though if you're trying to prop up Buckley.

Eddie McGuire said on his breakfast show this morning that we should now only get a salary cap of 95% of the rest of the competition to force more players out.

Seriously.

He's losing the plot Eddie.

All because we had the gumption to keep our kids and we weren't raped and pillaged and everyone left after 2 years.

Might as well buy the raw peanuts, there'll be plenty of salt to rub them in in the coming weeks/months

I sometimes wish Ed and Pert would pull their heads in but on this I think it's an important discussion.

You apparently have 5 top 25 talents in your academy to pick up in the next draft. On top of that you have how many first round picks on your list? I'll guess....25+? You'll be trading the ones you don't want for first round picks for several more years.

I think you'll win a flag inside 3 years and I think you might have 3 or 4 by 2022. In fact you'll dominate the next 10 years more than Hawthorn has this decade. Which could mean a generation of supporters may never see their club win a flag.

Ed's comments get interpreted as his own but more often he is the one who speaks on behalf of the smaller Melbourne clubs. The ones who have one flag in 100 years or the ones who are on AFL welfare and don't/won't rock the boat.

Fire away. I'm sure I've put a target on.

Ed's comments get interpreted as his own but more often he is the one who speaks on behalf of the smaller Melbourne clubs. The ones who have one flag in 100 years or the ones who are on AFL welfare and don't/won't rock the boat.

With all due respect to TW Sherrin, I expect that would come as a huge surprise to both Melbourne clubs and Adam Goodes.

I sometimes wish Ed and Pert would pull their heads in but on this I think it's an important discussion.

You apparently have 5 top 25 talents in your academy to pick up in the next draft. On top of that you have how many first round picks on your list? I'll guess....25+? You'll be trading the ones you don't want for first round picks for several more years.

I think you'll win a flag inside 3 years and I think you might have 3 or 4 by 2022. In fact you'll dominate the next 10 years more than Hawthorn has this decade. Which could mean a generation of supporters may never see their club win a flag.

I wouldn't have thought that of all clubs wanting to take away our concessions it'd be the team that takes away most of our highly rated picks from said concessions.

I think that Ed envisaged a whole lot more would've done their 2 years at Homebush and legged it straight back to Victoria. Now that hasn't happened, he is panicking.

Can't have it both ways Edward.

You can tell your collingwood poster mates a few facts.
Our draft concessions were the same as GCS and we "banked" ours by using a terrific list building system that was well organised and similar to other clubs in a low position.
Banking is basically having an overload of players that cant get a game,And richer clubs paying "overs" for one of our better players{treloar and others}.We ahve developed 2nds payers to come into a team that was always destined to play finals in 2016 onwards,as we didnt fall for the "finals asap" trap.
Last year we offloaded some players for "our" benefit to "bank" draft choices for our academy players.
This coming year we will do the same and begin to feed in players for the next 5 years team.
This has all been achieved by not falling for the trap of signing the Buddy- Ablett type and the over the hill out of form yesterday hero type.{we picked up cheapies early to protect 1st year players}
So our building and list management has been set up for a 12 year top team.
Some of the victorian clubs that are starting to whinge are only doing so as we start to show great onfield success and what looks like continued success.
You and other clubs do have a choice to build a 10 year list or like most football clubs in history{including my former fitzroy}slowly lag on from year to year without a battleplan to last a decade.
We also were lucky that as a new entity we could afford to decade build.
Good luck to us and hope you enjoy 10 years of pain that we deliver.
And yes,football is strong in Western NSW and growing.

Based purely off experience I will be shocked if five GWS academy players go in the top 25. Academy players are always massively overrated at the beginning of the year, and by draft day you can generally double or more the pick they're actually taken at. That 25th rated talent ends up being pick 50 because the Vic, WA and SA guys have improved and have played in Championships or TAC or WAFL/SANFL seniors and got the exposure that academy players have gotten a year early.

Agree to disagree. I would be shocked if GWS wins three premierships. I would be stunned if they win one, to be honest, because as with anything everything needs to fall the right way. The Saints played three GFs in two years for no premierships. The Dogs made the prelims four (?) years running for no premierships. Essendon dominated for years and walked away with a single premiership. And that's just in recent history.

Ed speaks on behalf of Collingwood, first, second and last. His aims might occasionally align with other clubs but he does not speak on behalf of the smaller Melbourne clubs - he speaks out and sometimes others agree. At the moment it strongly comes across as trying to distract media focus from Bucks and Collingwood's start to the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While important, he is not impartial. Pushing himself as one who looks out for the whole comp is pathetic

5 1st rounders? Wow. Havent seen that many before.

We are picking players straight from the academy instead of victorians through the draft. Thought that would be a good thing.

A little thing called go home factor effects us more than victorians seem to think.

So thats our fault? We started a club (using 2 years of concessions) from scratch by rules given to us by your clubs. Not the AFL.
In saying that how do you know we will win that many?

Was there this much worry for the "small clubs" before we arrived 5 years ago? Hell even before the interstaters arrived? They hadnt won then either.

Bahahahahaha sorry ummm yeah no.

Well youve been respectful hense why you havent been smacked about.
But theres allot of scaremongering nonsense in your post.

Which could mean a generation of supporters may never see their club win a flag.

Like many South Melbourne supporters who suffered the indignity, yes the indignity, of their club moving to Sydney and teams from WA and SA winning flags before Sydney broke the drought in 2005? I'm sure you felt so sorry for the Swans up to that point.

I haven't seen my Rugby League Club win a Premiership at all. They've been around 50 years and the best we've got is a mid-week trophy and two minor Premierships.

I feel sorry for Doggies, Demons and Saints fans who are yet to see their team win a flag in their lifetime, because I know what it's like. But what's the excuse for their performances in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s and 2000s? They've had more than 40 years of rebuilds and/or bad luck before the Gold Coast and GWS materialized.

Let's face it, it is convenient for Collingwood to point fingers at Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast and GWS and whinge about our advantages. The more you whinge about how "good" we have it, the less the AFL can look at the advantages you have - the monopoly on Anzac Day, playing most of your games at the MCG, your finances - so that the true equalization of the Victorian clubs can't occur.

By the way, ever drafted a kid from the Riverina? Asking for a friend...

I keep on asking the question - and nobody will answer me... If the Riverina is such a strong AFL territory, when was the last time (before the academy) that a Riverina kid went in the first round? Top 10? I'll even take it out to the top 25 which is the mark you laid down.

When was the last time 6 Riverina kids found their way onto 3 different clubs lists in a single year?

The only reason we are looking at 5 top prospects (and we couldn't take 5 even if we wanted to) is because we've put the effort into going out, finding and then developing the kids.

You want to take the Riverina out of the academy - then expect to go back to getting one or two late round prospects every three or four years - because that's what the region was producing for a hundred years before we came along and actually started putting time, effort and resources into developing it (because nobody else could be bothered before that).

When was the last Riverina kid drafted by Collingwood?

And Ed doesn't talk on behalf of the smaller Melbourne clubs - that's just a rubbish claim. He speaks for Collingwood first second and last - that's his job.

I keep on asking the question - and nobody will answer me... If the Riverina is such a strong AFL territory, when was the last time (before the academy) that a Riverina kid went in the first round? Top 10? I'll even take it out to the top 25 which is the mark you laid down.

When was the last time 6 Riverina kids found their way onto 3 different clubs lists in a single year?

The only reason we are looking at 5 top prospects (and we couldn't take 5 even if we wanted to) is because we've put the effort into going out, finding and then developing the kids.

You want to take the Riverina out of the academy - then expect to go back to getting one or two late round prospects every three or four years - because that's what the region was producing for a hundred years before we came along and actually started putting time, effort and resources into developing it (because nobody else could be bothered before that).

When was the last Riverina kid drafted by Collingwood?

And Ed doesn't talk on behalf of the smaller Melbourne clubs - that's just a rubbish claim. He speaks for Collingwood first second and last - that's his job.

honestly I don't keep track of every kid that gets drafted. I'd imagine the murray bushrangers would have a few?

anyway I expected you all to get defensive so that's cool. club boards aren't the place for a balanced discussion. caio.

honestly I don't keep track of every kid that gets drafted. I'd imagine the murray bushrangers would have a few?

anyway I expected you all to get defensive so that's cool. club boards aren't the place for a balanced discussion. caio.

I wasn't having a go. But your president has said some pretty stupid and Ill-informed things about the academy in the last couple of days and the Melbin meeja has just run with it unquestioningly.

Are the academies producing more draft ready players?
Yes. Obviously.

Why is this a bad thing?

Nobody will answer me on it.

I'm happy to debate it, but everyone runs from the question.

Like many South Melbourne supporters who suffered the indignity, yes the indignity, of their club moving to Sydney and teams from WA and SA winning flags before Sydney broke the drought in 2005? I'm sure you felt so sorry for the Swans up to that point.

I haven't seen my Rugby League Club win a Premiership at all. They've been around 50 years and the best we've got is a mid-week trophy and two minor Premierships.

I feel sorry for Doggies, Demons and Saints fans who are yet to see their team win a flag in their lifetime, because I know what it's like. But what's the excuse for their performances in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s and 2000s? They've had more than 40 years of rebuilds and/or bad luck before the Gold Coast and GWS materialized.

Let's face it, it is convenient for Collingwood to point fingers at Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast and GWS and whinge about our advantages. The more you whinge about how "good" we have it, the less the AFL can look at the advantages you have - the monopoly on Anzac Day, playing most of your games at the MCG, your finances - so that the true equalization of the Victorian clubs can't occur.

By the way, ever drafted a kid from the Riverina? Asking for a friend...

ok I'll work through the list....

rugby league...lol. the Sydney are like amateurish compared to the Broncos and Melbourne.

dogs and saints have all been GF's or prelims in the last 10 years. demons well they are a different story.

as to collingwoods advantages, your points..:rolleyes:... Anzac day...cant remember a GF in April. We play 10-11 home games at G. How many home games do you get? Our finances...your probably new to AFL so maybe you didn't know we were bankrupt in the late 80's, until Ed and co turned up we were rooted. We also let Melb host ueens birthday every year.

As I said in the previous post I have know idea who has come out of the Riverina.

If no one has then don't worry it will make no difference to you if the AFL change the zones.

I wasn't having a go. But your president has said some pretty stupid and Ill-informed things about the academy in the last couple of days and the Melbin meeja has just run with it unquestioningly.

Are the academies producing more draft ready players?
Yes. Obviously.

Why is this a bad thing?

Nobody will answer me on it.

I'm happy to debate it, but everyone runs from the question.

I'm all for academies. It is great clubs can develop their zones. It should never have been abolished 20-30 years ago. Local footy has been ignored by he AFL for decades.

While important, he is not impartial. Pushing himself as one who looks out for the whole comp is pathetic

5 1st rounders? Wow. Havent seen that many before.

We are picking players straight from the academy instead of victorians through the draft. Thought that would be a good thing.

A little thing called go home factor effects us more than victorians seem to think.

So thats our fault? We started a club (using 2 years of concessions) from scratch by rules given to us by your clubs. Not the AFL.
In saying that how do you know we will win that many?

Was there this much worry for the "small clubs" before we arrived 5 years ago? Hell even before the interstaters arrived? They hadnt won then either.

Bahahahahaha sorry ummm yeah no.

Well youve been respectful hense why you havent been smacked about.
But theres allot of scaremongering nonsense in your post.

I don't think any of this is your fault. In fact your club completely outsmarted the AFL with how they used their early picks. A much better strategy than the Suns and it'll bear fruit for a long time to come.

Imo, the creation of your club and the Suns had a massive hand in creating the Hawthorn 3 peat. By diluting the draft it made it near impossible for any but a couple of clubs to catch them and then Clarkson proved to be a one step ahead every turn.

Your list will be significantly better than Hawthorns (2013-2015) in 2-3 year time. It will only be the coach which stops you from dominating.

These are the Top 20 draft picks from the Riverina I could find since the year 2000.

2000 - Kozzy went number 2, Albury.
2001 - Duck Eggs
2002 - Hamish Macintosh 9, Lavington.
2003 - Duck Eggs
2004 - Duck Eggs
2005 - Duck Eggs
2006 - Duck Eggs
2007 - Duck Eggs
2008 - Duck Eggs
2009 - Duck Eggs
2010 - Duck Eggs
2011 - Duck Eggs
2012 - Duck Eggs
2013 - Duck Eggs
2014 - Duck Eggs
2015 - Hopper / Kennedy / Himmelberg

I don't think any of this is your fault. In fact your club completely outsmarted the AFL with how they used their early picks. A much better strategy than the Suns and it'll bear fruit for a long time to come.

Imo, the creation of your club and the Suns had a massive hand in creating the Hawthorn 3 peat. By diluting the draft it made it near impossible for any but a couple of clubs to catch them and then Clarkson proved to be a one step ahead every turn.

Your list will be significantly better than Hawthorns (2013-2015) in 2-3 year time. It will only be the coach which stops you from dominating.
Your logic is totally out on Hawks current success being linked to compromised drafts. How in hell does a sprinkling of top end talent in struggling clubs over 2010-2014 make enough of a difference to see them challenge the Hawks? Draft kids mostly take a couple of years to have the sort of impact you are assuming. If anything has helped them beyond an excellent footy department, it is free agency.

Safe to say that us having the Riverina in our zone is on borrowed time
THE AFL is set to review the controversial Greater Western Sydney academy system which angry clubs believe will bulletproof their list for the next decade.
The Herald Sun understands the league will soon begin a thorough analysis of the broad Giants zone that is set to deliver the booming club another five top-30 talents this year.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...m/news-story/8f0c11b65b9c7561d5bf134055e4d6f8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back