The fallacy that is - 2003 Grand Final side > 2002 Grand Final side

Which side was superior?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

eally nailed us. As silly as it sounds with him in the game it could have easily been a different result. Walker coming in for Rocca and Jason Cloke being thrown forward completely changed the dynamic of that game. Rocca could hurt Brisbane and they knew it. Their match planning would have changed completely once he was out.

Just realised I Posted right after this post.

100% Rocca cost us that flag. As I said in my post and I've said every since 2003, but Brisbane were legit s**t scared of him. Rocca was the reason we won the first final against them. Our team stood taller with Rocca there. He was the rudder that steered the ship and the entire side looked organised with him there as the anchor at centre half forward.

I was devastated when he was suspended because I knew then and there we had already lost ANOTHER flag.

:'(

The 2002 side was superior, purely because they took one of the best sides in the modern era to a few points from winning. The 2003 side was unbalanced by Rocca's suspension and the Brisbane mids were on fire. The sunny weather also suited Brisbane and a few like Ryce Shaw had an off day. The moral about 2003 is don't lose a GF by a lot because you pay for it the next year. Malthouse was intelligent enough to see the writing was on the wall and we needed to rebuild the side after 2003. Similarly Buckley could see we weren't going anywhere around 2014 and needed to rebuild the side.

Didn’t have the best players but you’s were a bloody good team in those two years. Beating Port over there in the 02 QF without Buckley.

The 2002 side was abit older and experienced, a lot of kids especially in 2003. The game was lost as soon as Rocca was rubbed out.

Back