Unsolved The Family Murders

Remove this Banner Ad

The Who's Who List

Out of Sight - The Untold Story of Adelaide's Gay Hate Murders

The Cases of Forensic Pathologist Colin Manock

Use this thread below to lodge media, maps and photos for quick reference.

Last edited:

Any actual proof in these last 6 or so posts? Or just lots of crazy theories 40 years after the event?

The proof is in the evidence.

Throw Manock's/James report out, he's proved he can't interpret bruising which was the only indication Richard was hurt over weeks but even then, bruises can appear after death. Meaning, that bruise Richard had on his back that someone interpreted as him being thrown up against a wall, probably happened when BVE dropped him trying to move him in to the freezer.

Edited to include Ross James, as involved in the autopsy with findings against him on a bruising issue in the Keough case

Last edited:
I really hope for Richard's parents' sake that he died on or very soon after the night he was taken. The thought of their son being tortured for weeks must have been unimaginable.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

I firmly believe they knew Richard wasn't held alive for weeks, they would have realised it when they were told what his stomach contents was at the time of death. The cops knew it too imo but nobody's going to risk the prosecution and the shot at convicting BVE, by contradicting Manock's timeline.

Has anyone managed to check both versions of DM’s latest book? Versions being the few copies that seemed to be available before it was pulled for publication and re released?

Has anyone managed to check both versions of DM’s latest book? Versions being the few copies that seemed to be available before it was pulled for publication and re released?

Below are a few of the edits I found that were no longer present in the current release. I got the audiobook before and after it was pulled and found these the other night. There is possibly more but these are the chunks I found. The timestamps are a rough indication of where they are.

01:03:04:20 - 01:03:28:07
The television cameraman has missed the action by the time he gets to the Torrens and sets up his equipment. Aqualung. Police divers have already retrieved Duncan's lifeless body from the river. The network won't allow vision of the dead man, and he will only be able to film him covered with a sheet. He writes to the police that he missed the best shot, the retrieval of the body from the cold depths of the river. The police oblige, returning Duncan's lifeless body to the river. When the cameraman gives the thumbs up, they stage the recovery again.

01:34:11:04 - 01:34:35:18
..while Amelia, his funeral confidant, collects the reward money.

03:04:37:14 - 03:05:12:18
..necessitating repeat the entire 1300 pages of evidence from the 35 days of trial already heard..

04:03:51:14 - 04:04:20:16
Paradise. Sunday, 10th July 1983.

04:18:51:21 - 04:19:18:18
Eight weeks since Richard's abduction and murder.

04:31:46:20 - 04:32:14:04
Kipling decides to make their move on 12th October..

04:41:59:04 - 04:42:25:14
On 19th September, major crime teams spread out across Adelaide in a synchronized series of raids on Von Einem's friends and associates.

05:11:57:22 - 05:12:21:03
They all have a drink. And his friend then rings the businessman, who arrives half an hour later. The faded notation in the corner suppressed.

05:15:59:01 - 05:16:20:02
..came to have his hair dyed on the Tuesday night..

05:22:55:04 - 05:23:36:21
..the body was dumped on 10th July. Not during the day when the dogs were out with their owners, but late that night or the early hours of Monday, 11th July

05:26:26:05 - 05:27:11:08
Adjourned for 2p.m. to Friday, 25th May 1984 at 10 a.m.

05:39:04:24 - 05:39:26:17
His tortured, infested body was found in a fetal position under a sheer bush

07:01:03:15 - 07:01:34:17
The ambulance officer has been to this address before. Two years earlier, he answered a call to pick up William's sister, Cassie. She was also dead, ruling, COD death.

07:15:21:10 - 07:15:41:20
..a couple of weeks later.

07:15:41:23 - 07:16:03:03
..turned up at his house, pushed him against the wall and threatened him. Police have been to see him about hitchhikers, he snarled. Someone's been talking..

07:30:41:20 - 07:31:10:15
..and known for his amusing knack of quoting judgments on non-existent cases to add gravitas to his argument..

07:44:13:23 - 07:44:38:09
But the surveillance tapes betray this attempt at an alibi for Von Einem's movements were not tracked until after Kelvin's body was found.

08:13:55:12 - 08:14:15:06
..visiting Zach in prison not long after he was convicted.

08:34:48:15 - 08:35:07:07
..that group of men, did this group get together and then work out what they were going to do? 1 or 2 of them would be the hunting party. They would go out to get a victim. And I think they got more than one victim on one occasion. And I think they had to decide what they were going to do with more than one and I think when Barnes was involved, they had two victims.

09:36:53:01 - 09:37:25:11
Now the priest's father, John Stockdale. Father Ronald Pickering. Father Ian Dempsey, all of whom belonged to an upper class circle and raped boys. One, a 15 year old, met the notorious Father Pickering at the Adelaide home of a member of the circle.
Robert Brandenburg was at one time the trusted national commissioner of Adelaide's Church of England Boys Society, and part of a wider interstate pedophile ring. Many believed this man of the cloth was responsible for the systematic and horrific sexual abuse of up to 200 boys in the 1970s, protected and enabled by the church hierarchy. Brendan Berg's offending was only brought to light following his suicide in 1999, the day he was due to front court on 100 charges.
But if Brandenburg couldn't face a future in prison, some of his victims couldn't face the past. They suicided as well.

As for the context of each I am not going to write up each part, these are the noticeable parts that have been removed. If you have not listened/read the book you should go and listen/read it for yourself.

Last edited:
The proof is in the evidence.

Throw Manock's report out, he's proved he can't interpret bruising which was the only indication Richard was hurt over weeks but even then, bruises can appear after death. Meaning, that bruise Richard had on his back that someone interpreted as him being thrown up against a wall, probably happened when BVE dropped him trying to move him in to the freezer.
Manock didn't do Kelvin's autopsy

James, independently of anyone else, I believe.

Manock was at court for the Kelvin case iirc.

On the Keogh autopsy, which was years later in 1995. It would be good to know if tissue samples of Kelvin's bruising were taken.

Graham Archer: The latest casualty is Dr Ross James - Dr Colin Manock's deputy and successor as the State’s Chief Forensic Pathologist in 1995. Now found guilty of unprofessional conduct for what he did in the Keogh case.

Bob Moles: Well, it’s the most serious finding you could have against a professional medical expert witness.

Graham Archer: It's what we have been raising for years. Official confirmation of the failure of due process in the case, and raises question about countless other criminal cases.

Bob Moles: By my calculation they have done 17,000 autopsies between the two of them. In the case of Dr Manock over 30 years – and with Dr James 25 years.

Graham Archer: Here's what happened. In December 1994 the DPP asked Dr James to review Dr Manock's autopsy of Anna Jane Cheney prior to the first Keogh trial. Though Dr Manock took minimal notes, photos or body tissue - Dr James did have three tissue samples - or histology as its called - of the important bruises to the deceased's legs, including that so-called crucial thumb bruise on the inside of the left leg, which we assume he examined. Author Dr Bob Moles.

Bob Moles: In relation to the bruise on the inside of the left leg, the slide was the only evidence he had of the possibility of there being a bruise and when he looked at it there wasn't a bruise.

Manock was at court for the Kelvin case iirc.

On the Keogh autopsy, which was years later in 1995. It would be good to know if tissue samples of Kelvin's bruising were taken.

Graham Archer: The latest casualty is Dr Ross James - Dr Colin Manock's deputy and successor as the State’s Chief Forensic Pathologist in 1995. Now found guilty of unprofessional conduct for what he did in the Keogh case.

Bob Moles: Well, it’s the most serious finding you could have against a professional medical expert witness.

Graham Archer: It's what we have been raising for years. Official confirmation of the failure of due process in the case, and raises question about countless other criminal cases.

Bob Moles: By my calculation they have done 17,000 autopsies between the two of them. In the case of Dr Manock over 30 years – and with Dr James 25 years.

Graham Archer: Here's what happened. In December 1994 the DPP asked Dr James to review Dr Manock's autopsy of Anna Jane Cheney prior to the first Keogh trial. Though Dr Manock took minimal notes, photos or body tissue - Dr James did have three tissue samples - or histology as its called - of the important bruises to the deceased's legs, including that so-called crucial thumb bruise on the inside of the left leg, which we assume he examined. Author Dr Bob Moles.

Bob Moles: In relation to the bruise on the inside of the left leg, the slide was the only evidence he had of the possibility of there being a bruise and when he looked at it there wasn't a bruise.
Manock didn't give evidence in Von Einem [1984] (the Kelvin case).

James was cleared of the unprofessional conduct charges on appeal.

My understanding is that at that time of Kelvin's death and Von Einem's trial, James and Manock worked relatively autonomously in the discharge of their professional duties, in that there was no standard process of having work formally reviewed or signed off by a second pathologist. Thus, legally, the work was the work of whichever pathologist signed the form (in the absence of the type of external request Archer mentions above re Cheney). That's what I was referring to.

Hi everyone,
Long time lurker, and thought I’d finally get involved, so good to meet you all!

I have a question regarding Jenny Loftes(?). It appears she was close to both Derrence Stevenson AND engaged to Richard Brown at one point. Going off DB’s book, does it not feel odd? I know coincidences happen, yet something feels off about her connection to both cases. Not sure if I’m the only one that feels that way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back