Unsolved The Family Murders

Remove this Banner Ad

The Who's Who List

Out of Sight - The Untold Story of Adelaide's Gay Hate Murders

The Cases of Forensic Pathologist Colin Manock

Use this thread below to lodge media, maps and photos for quick reference.

Last edited:

I wonder if it is because of the name mentioned in relation to the 28/8/89 Advertiser article (in chapter 25)?
It's the only thing I can think of after reading the book... goes to show he must have been super aware the book was coming out to get his lawyers on to it so quickly if that is indeed the legal issue mentioned... an interesting strategy given she doesn't name him as the businessman, just as someone who gave BVE a reference (from memory), you'd think with social media these days there would a risk it would only draw attention to the connection!

DropBearess how did you go with your search for images of BVE at Norwood oval? Did your search include any other ovals? There maybe a link between North Adelaide/Prospect Oval and the AB, PS & RK cases. The ebook has him at Adelaide Oval the day KG & JR disappeared (North v Norwood). Geographically Prospect Oval was the closest to his house and also just down the road from his beat starting at Scotty's Hotel. The ebook has PS wearing a a North Adelaide jumper the day he went missing. Does anyone have information about PS being a North supporter and attending home games? AB was attending games at Prospect and RK was there 21st May 1983.
My understanding is
Richard Kelvin was in the North Cheersquad
Peter Stogneff was a North supporter
Alan Barnes attended North games, but more out of interest in girls, than as a North supporter

My understanding is
Alan Barnes attended North games, but more out of interest in girls, than as a North supporter
Where did you hear Richard Kelvin was in the North cheersquad? His sexuality is neither here nor there, however I find it unusual Debi seemed to go to great efforts to continually re-affirm his heterosexuality throughout the book, referring to the teenager's view on 'gays' (I assume she got this from his family or friends) and constant references to his 'new girlfriend', it seemed a bit forced. Perhaps as a favour to RK's parents. Debi also reports that Kelvin took the dog collar off and put it around his wrist as he was kicking the footy around with his mate after his mate told him it made him look like 'a NTTAWWT', yet I believe it was around his neck when the body was found? None of this is likely relevant, just interesting. Certainly if he was wearing a dog collar walking home from the bus stop that night it would have made him stick out to a predator trawling the streets.

It's funny you know, the new book out now states Peter Stogneff was a Port Adelaide supporter. Here it states that he left home the morning he went missing with his beloved # 7 Port Adelaide guernsey.

Banquet.png

Can’t see how he has a case. If he wrote to the paper using his own name, and this was just quoted in the book, where is the problem? I thought Debi was very careful not to link the letter writer with “the businessman”.

Glad I bought the ebook & downloaded it!

View attachment 1226016

Yep, relieved too that I pre-ordered the audiobook and paperback and have them both before it got pulled!

I'm halfway into chapter 12, so far the biggest eye opener for me was Alan Barnes' brother Mike saying while learning to drive a truck he saw Alan in a white Datsun along with a chubby bloke with a "tall man with a strong jaw and glasses" standing next to the car looking over a verge along the Eastern Freeway on the Friday night before Alan's body was found. I have never heard that story before.

An amazing read so far!

Where did you hear Richard Kelvin was in the North cheersquad? His sexuality is neither here nor there, however I find it unusual Debi seemed to go to great efforts to continually re-affirm his heterosexuality throughout the book, referring to the teenager's view on 'gays' (I assume she got this from his family or friends) and constant references to his 'new girlfriend', it seemed a bit forced. Perhaps as a favour to RK's parents. Debi also reports that Kelvin took the dog collar off and put it around his wrist as he was kicking the footy around with his mate after his mate told him it made him look like 'a NTTAWWT', yet I believe it was around his neck when the body was found? None of this is likely relevant, just interesting. Certainly if he was wearing a dog collar walking home from the bus stop that night it would have made him stick out to a predator trawling the streets.

The bit about Richard’s attitude about “gays” has been widely reported, and I believe was used in the court case to counteract BvE’s statement that Richard confided in him about Richard’s own sexuality, and to explain why Richard accompanied him to his home for a spot of harp playing and counselling.

The dog collar is important because Richard took it off when his mate from the bus stop (Boris) told him it wasn’t a good look. It was then found around Richard’s neck when his body turned up.

BvE denied for years that he had seen it around Richard’s neck. The implication being that if BvE saw it around Richard’s neck, it was prior to Richard taking Boris to the bus stop, and therefore it was likely not a chance encounter between Richard & BvE after Richard left the bus stop (as BvE claimed). In the alternative, BvE saw Richard after the abduction when the collar was for some reason put back around his neck, and/or saw him around the time he died.

Marshall says that the police tried to catch BvE out for years about seeing the collar around Richard’s neck, and when BvE confirmed to her that he had seen it, he immediately realised his mistake.

The bit about Richard’s attitude about “gays” has been widely reported, and I believe was used in the court case to counteract BvE’s statement that Richard confided in him about Richard’s own sexuality, and to explain why Richard accompanied him to his home for a spot of harp playing and counselling.

The dog collar is important because Richard took it off when his mate from the bus stop (Boris) told him it wasn’t a good look. It was then found around Richard’s neck when his body turned up.

BvE denied for years that he had seen it around Richard’s neck. The implication being that if BvE saw it around Richard’s neck, it was prior to Richard taking Boris to the bus stop, and therefore it was likely not a chance encounter between Richard & BvE after Richard left the bus stop (as BvE claimed). In the alternative, BvE saw Richard after the abduction when the collar was for some reason put back around his neck, and/or saw him around the time he died.

Marshall says that the police tried to catch BvE out for years about seeing the collar around Richard’s neck, and when BvE confirmed to her that he had seen it, he immediately realised his mistake.
von Einem has always hinted that Richard Kelvin was gay as explanation why he accompanied him back to his house, per von Einem's ridiculous alibi. So the prosecution in von Einem's murder trial introduced evidence that Richard was heterosexual & disapproved of homosexuals. If Marshall says Richard removed the collar while kicking the footy with Boris & his dad, that is incorrect. It was at the O'Connell Street bus stop Boris informed Richard that the collar made him look gay, so Richard took it off. von Einem must have seen Richard wearing the collar while stalking along O'Connell Street. The fact he placed back around Richard's neck indicates that it fed his fantasies of power and dominance over him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw the Channel 7 news story last night on Richard Kelvin's best mate, Karl "Boris" Brooks. It was heartbreaking to see how deep it still cuts him, and chilling to see him back at the O'Connell Street bus stop 38 years later.

Poor man. A lifetime of “what if”. It was so sad to watch.

Hopefully we get to see the book released again.
All participating "Family members" they need to be eventually outed.

so far the biggest eye opener for me was Alan Barnes' brother Mike saying while learning to drive a truck he saw Alan in a white Datsun along with a chubby bloke with a "tall man with a strong jaw and glasses" standing next to the car looking over a verge along the Eastern Freeway on the Friday night before Alan's body was found. I have never heard that story before.
Just a minor point - did Debi write 'Eastern Freeway' or did you leave off the South?

Just a note that - as far as I know- it was always called the South Eastern Freeway

My understanding is
Punk Rooster thanks for your feedback about RK, PS and AB. Are you able to provide further information about RK being in the North cheersquad as I believe he was a Port supporter. Maybe he was attending games at Prospect oval because it was close to his house or had a mate in the cheersquad.

In relation to PS the ebook made several references that he was wearing a North jumper the day he went missing, however in DM's book she has him wearing a Port jumper. Are you able to provide any further information about why you think PS was a North supporter.

Punk Rooster thanks for your feedback about RK, PS and AB. Are you able to provide further information about RK being in the North cheersquad as I believe he was a Port supporter. Maybe he was attending games at Prospect oval because it was close to his house or had a mate in the cheersquad.

In relation to PS the ebook made several references that he was wearing a North jumper the day he went missing, however in DM's book she has him wearing a Port jumper. Are you able to provide any further information about why you think PS was a North supporter.
Richard Kelvin was definitely a Port Adelaide supporter. His mum described Russell Ebert as his idol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back