Unsolved The Family Murders

Remove this Banner Ad

Dell43

Debutant
Dec 31, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
The delivery boy who took a piece of the action maybe.

I can see him being the delivery boy for some of the legal/medical/business types, but with the bottom tier transgender, drug addled, share house types he was definitely the top dog.
I agree Bits. The top end of town needed a new delivery boy when Gino skipped bail.

wintermutes_

Draftee
Mar 21, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Me too... and it means he was aware of the book and had his lawyer ready to pounce, the ink was barely dry having only been out a few days.
although if he is so astute why was it not blocked before it was released?

well actually to answer my own question, perhaps there is some quirk in the relevant laws , where you can only stop publication after a release date? Or they had to wait and see if his name was in there before he could go ‘there see!’ And get it blocked

AdelaideGT

Rookie
Sep 1, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
hard to track down pics from the inside but here's one of Patches
Hard to be absolutely certain given the quality of the photos, but the first one may be of 'Leanne' (David).

The second one features Judy (a female, not a drag queen) & Kris (who went by the name of 'Duo Mirage' and performed at many clubs including straight ones around Adelaide).

Hard with the blurry photo to work out exactly which drag queen is behind them but it may be Maggi Scott.

Photos may be from a show the did at Patches called 'Leading Lady'.

AdelaideGT

Rookie
Sep 1, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Cant think of what brand they might be
Cigarettes look to be 'Benson & Hedges Stirling' which I smoked around that time. I recognise the guy on the right but can't recall the name right now.

Judging by the make-up of the one peeking from behind 'Severe Inflation', there's a good chance it is 'Rose Leaf'.

AdelaideGT

Rookie
Sep 1, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Black Rose Piano Bar
Which was originally called 'Fiddlers', run by Trevor Royal, and where people used to go to drink on after every other gay venue had closed.

There were no doctors we knew of to refer guys with sore and infected bums, so they suffered in silence and went back for more food and shelter.
Wasn't the STD Clinic on Nth Tce open yet? It was certainly operating in the early 80s.

The Mars Bar – opened Dec 1976, closed Easter Sunday, 1985.
THe Mars Bar opened again in the mid-80s as 'Reflexions' before later reverting to Mars.

The Green Dragon – Corner South Terrace and Pultney St, Adelaide.
First photo features Skye Brookes & Rose Leaf (right) posing in front of a huge print of international star Divine, who signed it after her appearances at the Dragon around the time of her hit 'You Think You're A Man'.

Not too sure of the performer holding the 'I slept with Storen' sign though it looks a little like 'Edna' (Stephen) who used to host 'Wally's Follies' - the drag show at the Mars Bar. The drag queen in the background watching looks to be 'Lyla'.

AdelaideGT

Rookie
Sep 1, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Collier? As in connected to Megan Collier? We know that Collier wasn't Megan's birth name.
I don't think they were related. As far as I know, Collyer (think that's the correct spelling) was Joanne's birth name. Joanne was originally from NSW and worked with people like Carlotta at Les Girls before settling in Adelaide in the late 70s.

Besides her 'drag' work (she had had a sex change by this time), she hosted female strip reviews at footy clubs etc and did fat-a-grams.

Joanne passed away in the last year or so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bth18

Debutant
Oct 22, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hey AdelaideGT (or anyone really) does someone named Vivian Vidovich/Vidavich - dressed in all black, long black hair, was well known in the Adelaide disco scene - ring a bell?

bth18

Debutant
Oct 22, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
do you know anything else about her? i cant find any pics myself, know of any?

and I'm not sure around any suppression orders with this one but if you've read Debi's book the description may ring a bell

AdelaideGT

Rookie
Sep 1, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
do you know anything else about her? i cant find any pics myself, know of any?

and I'm not sure around any suppression orders with this one but if you've read Debi's book the description may ring a bell
No, I knew her at the time - seemed a nice person. Don't have any pics that I know of.

I haven't read the book, so no idea what you are referring to.

Now, I'm wondering if I'm getting some of them confused.

I may have been thinking about Vicki Verca

In the mid-80s, there suddenly appeared a bunch of different Vicky's on the Adelaide drag scene.

bth18

Debutant
Oct 22, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No, I knew her at the time - seemed a nice person. Don't have any pics that I know of.

I haven't read the book, so no idea what you are referring to.

Now, I'm wondering if I'm getting some of them confused.

I may have been thinking about Vicki Verca

In the mid-80s, there suddenly appeared a bunch of different Vicky's on the Adelaide drag scene.
In the book a boy is taken to the house of a woman described as wearing all black, long black hair well known in the disco scene - and that description perfectly matches another little bit of intel where she’s named as the person.

suvgrl

Draftee
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
In the book a boy is taken to the house of a woman described as wearing all black, long black hair well known in the disco scene - and that description perfectly matches another little bit of intel where she’s named as the person.
I remember an art teacher with that name at Port Adelaide High School in the 80’s. the description fits her!

Zebo

Draftee
Sep 1, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Apologies if this is old news that I've missed in the last 3000 (!) posts, but the 'Von Einem Breaks Silence' article (28/8/89) was published in the Advertiser exactly 10 years after Neil Muir was found. There's no mention in the article that it was deliberate. According to the article, BVE gave the interview on the Friday and the article was published on the 28th, which was the Monday and I guess the first day it could be published.

It does seem there is some point to the date - '27/28 August'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad