Unsolved The Family Murders

Remove this Banner Ad

Rake

Draftee
Sep 18, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
He’s also already had his testimony discredited on the stand, would be hard to get him on there again saying the same thing
Exactly. He’s been discredited before, so regardless of what evidence he gives now, he will be discredited because of his previous evidence. No jury would accept him as a witness of truth.

Bits

Team Captain
Oct 31, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I wonder if they’ll include the “Good Samaritan” on the scene rescuing Roger James
The article says they have tried to find the people involved with no luck. Probably because most of them are dead now?? Roger James is still around I think. He’s spoken publically about it before.

And I guess that BvE wasn’t interested in talking to them 😂

SquiffyRae

Senior List
Sep 28, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
From memory, wasn't BvE willing to talk to DM as long as he thought he could somehow con her into believing his version of events?

Then he slipped up and mentioned something he couldn't possibly know unless he was involved, chucked a massive tantrum and refused to see her ever again

Butters and Pepper

Senior List
Sep 18, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
From memory, wasn't BvE willing to talk to DM as long as he thought he could somehow con her into believing his version of events?

Then he slipped up and mentioned something he couldn't possibly know unless he was involved, chucked a massive tantrum and refused to see her ever again
Was the "something", something to do with the dog collar worn by Richard Kelvin?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ElizabethG

Draftee
Aug 18, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Exactly. He’s been discredited before, so regardless of what evidence he gives now, he will be discredited because of his previous evidence. No jury would accept him as a witness of truth.
Is Mr. B still alive? I thought he's dead or at least someone (Charlie?) mentioned that a few months ago.

ElizabethG

Draftee
Aug 18, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Was the "something", something to do with the dog collar worn by Richard Kelvin?
Yes, according to DM a "yes" slipped out of his mouth when she asked him if he had seen Richard with the dog collar...

But I think it's important to remember that whatever we know about this interview reflects Debi's personal recollection of it. Sometimes during her retelling of the interview in the book I wondered if BVE really talked/reacted like that or if it just seemed that way to her... " BVE suddenly having a major tantrum or turning into a black psychopath" sounds kind of overly dramatic and not very realistic to me. And what did she expect him to do anyway? Spill his guts to a person he's never met before?

Bits

Team Captain
Oct 31, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Okay, thanks. I was wondering if all this information about him back in the thread was true.
Speaking for myself, the aim is always to uncover the truth. Charlie had been given false information by a source who he trusted. It was a nasty shock for him when he confirmed this. Why would we have put him through that if we hadn't confirmed it first?

Yes we often speculate about scenarios, but we make it clear when we are theorising. But from extensive research, we knew Mr B was alive.

ElizabethG

Draftee
Aug 18, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Speaking for myself, the aim is always to uncover the truth. Charlie had been given false information by a source who he trusted. It was a nasty shock for him when he confirmed this. Why would we have put him through that if we hadn't confirmed it first?

Yes we often speculate about scenarios, but we make it clear when we are theorising. But from extensive research, we knew Mr B was alive.
Yes, I agree. Separating facts and theories is the only way how we can approach the truth. I think we all came across people out there pretending to know something that they don't which can cause great harm.

Cendrillon

Draftee
Feb 22, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes, according to DM a "yes" slipped out of his mouth when she asked him if he had seen Richard with the dog collar...

But I think it's important to remember that whatever we know about this interview reflects Debi's personal recollection of it. Sometimes during her retelling of the interview in the book I wondered if BVE really talked/reacted like that or if it just seemed that way to her... " BVE suddenly having a major tantrum or turning into a black psychopath" sounds kind of overly dramatic and not very realistic to me. And what did she expect him to do anyway? Spill his guts to a person he's never met before?
I agree, as soon as she compared herself to Clarice Starling going in to meet with Hannibal Lecter she was definitely putting some spin on it. BVE has no history of violence whilst incarcerated, in fact he has made close friends with several of the guards, cooking them scones for morning tea in the prison kitchen, can you imagine eating his scones! :oops:

TheBlokeInGreen

Draftee
Nov 3, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Yep, relieved too that I pre-ordered the audiobook and paperback and have them both before it got pulled!

I'm halfway into chapter 12, so far the biggest eye opener for me was Alan Barnes' brother Mike saying while learning to drive a truck he saw Alan in a white Datsun along with a chubby bloke with a "tall man with a strong jaw and glasses" standing next to the car looking over a verge along the Eastern Freeway on the Friday night before Alan's body was found. I have never heard that story before.

An amazing read so far!
is there any chance you can share the audio book somehow?? I was desperate to buy this book and have a read but they pulled it the day before i was able to go down and get one :(

Bits

Team Captain
Oct 31, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
where to mate?

I just bought it on Dymocks yesterday but it didnt come up on my Dymocks app.

Anywhere else i could get it?
I got my ebook through ibooks/ Apple on my iPad. There’s a kindle edition you can buy at Amazon for $14.99. And apparently you can get a free audio book if you sign up for a trial with Kobo. Just do a google search.

1F695B3D-8034-4B2A-9206-F1D0EEC9626D.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad