Unsolved The Family Murders

Remove this Banner Ad

The Who's Who List

Out of Sight - The Untold Story of Adelaide's Gay Hate Murders

The Cases of Forensic Pathologist Colin Manock

Use this thread below to lodge media, maps and photos for quick reference.

Last edited:

There was another high profile radio & TV presenter who used to pick young guys up from the Torrens. He was married with kids, so sometimes used to take them back to a cheap motel.

He picked up the wrong guy once and ended up getting stabbed which made newspaper headlines though I think the story said he 'had offered the young man a ride'. Ha-ha - a lift wasn't the kind of ride he would have been offering.

Did that happen near the Jolley boathouse? I remember seeing on tv about an incident near there and the person was high profile.

Did that happen near the Jolley boathouse? I remember seeing on tv about an incident near there and the person was high profile.

I think the media reports were reasonably discrete and just said 'near the Torrens' or 'near Torrens Bridge'.

Spent about half a day reading about the killings a week ago.

I was wondering though, did BVE mean to kill the boys, or was it a case of 'whoops I went too far with the bottle again'.

Did any of the people who claimed to have just been raped report having a bottle shoved up their ass? Or is there only that one guy who is on record of having been able to identify having been raped by BVE and survived.

And do they suspect any other murders from BVE? The girls from Adelaide Oval seems unlikely seeing as he was gay, no?

Anyway, RIP to the boys that succumbed to this almost horror-movie-esque circle of people.

No I don’t.
I know he lived in Black Forest at the time he was charged. He is also on ‘find a grave’.
What prompts your query here?
Apologies for the delay responding to your question Squawk but I needed to find more information on Gibbons.

Gibbons made three phone calls to police between 15th & 23rd of June. The people he claimed abducted Richard (Doug & Mark) were living with him at the time. I'm curious if Gibbons was a random person trying to insert himself into the Kelvin case or deliberately provided false information to police.

There were a couple of stories in Banquet & Young Blood that had me wondering if Gibbons was associated with BV or Alan Barnes, however Charlie Barnes has no knowledge of any relationship between Alan and Gibbons.

Squawk what was the name of the nightclub Doug & Mark were associated with?

Last edited:
i know this has been touched upon in here before (i tried to find it but couldnt, sorry), but i finally started reading the debi marshall book and im up to that interesting part where she names an "antiques dealer." its a name were all familiar with.

for people who have read the book, what did you make of this part? what does it mean that the antiques dealer "wrote to the paper"? was there an article in the advertiser that just included the same quotes that debi uses, or was this a longer letter that they published? if so, does anyone have the entire thing? what else did he say?

knowing what we do about him now, and about the way he lives his life, i find it amazing that in 1989 he wrote a letter to the advertiser defending BVE. i would love to read it.

i find it amazing that in 1989 he wrote a letter to the advertiser defending BVE. i would love to read it.

Imagine writing a letter to the Advertiser defending Bevan.... lol

He probably wanted Bevan free because Bevan was the master of picking up boys for them all. No Bevan cruising the streets with his esky full of cold beverages and mandrax no boys.

Apologies for the delay responding to your question Squawk but I needed to find more information on Gibbons.

Gibbons made three phone calls to police between 15th & 23rd of June. The people he claimed abducted Richard (Doug & Mark) were living with him at the time. I'm curious if Gibbons was a random person trying to insert himself into the Kelvin case or deliberately provided false information to police.

There were a couple of stories in Banquet & Young Blood that had me wondering if Gibbons was associated with BV or Alan Barnes, however Charlie Barnes has no knowledge of any relationship between Alan and Gibbons.

Squawk what was the name of the nightclub Doug & Mark were associated with?
It was Patches.
I don’t personally think he was trying to insert himself into drama. I know litttle about this episode but my sense has always been that he was trying to tip the cops off. It may have only been a hunch about Kelvin but I think he knew of something that occurred beforehand and figured they were involved. I also sensed he may have been a victim somewhere, somehow. He did end up taking his own life, sadly. Clearly a troubled soul for many years.
It’s also clear that a lot went on at patches….

Does anyone know if the businessman had another shop prior to the current one we're already aware of? Do we know how long he has occupied his current shop?

Does anyone know if the businessman had another shop prior to the current one we're already aware of? Do we know how long he has occupied his current shop?

I think he’s been there since about 1977. Prior to that, I’ve heard Goodwood Road, Goodwood mentioned but I don’t recall the source of that info.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LeonB was mentioned as being in the US in 1976. When did he return?

He was back in Adelaide on air at Double SAFM around 1980. So he wasn't in Adelaide when Alan Barnes or Neil Muir were killed but was back in town when Peter Stogneff and Mark Langley were killed. My understanding is he was on the east coast by the time Richard Kelvin was killed. Obviously can't say for certain but I would be extremely surprised if there was any real link here.

i know this has been touched upon in here before (i tried to find it but couldnt, sorry), but i finally started reading the debi marshall book and im up to that interesting part where she names an "antiques dealer." its a name were all familiar with.

for people who have read the book, what did you make of this part? what does it mean that the antiques dealer "wrote to the paper"? was there an article in the advertiser that just included the same quotes that debi uses, or was this a longer letter that they published? if so, does anyone have the entire thing? what else did he say?

knowing what we do about him now, and about the way he lives his life, i find it amazing that in 1989 he wrote a letter to the advertiser defending BVE. i would love to read it.
It’s in the Advertiser 29/8/89. Sounds like journos hunted down people for comments. There’s no indication these people voluntarily wrote to the paper ( and it’s three people). It’s surprisingly blunt. I don’t know if it’s now part of the suppression order, but you can read it for yourself at the State Library.

It’s in the Advertiser 29/8/89. Sounds like journos hunted down people for comments. There’s no indication these people voluntarily wrote to the paper ( and it’s three people). It’s surprisingly blunt. I don’t know if it’s now part of the suppression order, but you can read it for yourself at the State Library.
Good work Zebo
Can you supply any more information? What did he say? Who were the other two people who commented and what did they say?

thanks for that, Zebo.

Good work Zebo
Can you supply any more information? What did he say? Who were the other two people who commented and what did they say?
st denis was one of the others. id also be interested in knowing who the third was.

Do we have an approximate year of birth for the businessman? I've ferreted through all sorts of info but can't seem to find an answer.

Frank Denis is one of Denis St Denis’s aliases. The “men’s club” is Pulteney 431 where he worked.

Les Dempsey is a multiple sex offender. This is from Dissected (Roles & McInerney book)

9A813862-03F5-4EE5-B91A-F05ED2836E3C.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back