Unsolved The Family Murders

Remove this Banner Ad

The Who's Who List

Out of Sight - The Untold Story of Adelaide's Gay Hate Murders

The Cases of Forensic Pathologist Colin Manock

Use this thread below to lodge media, maps and photos for quick reference.

Last edited:

Donald Storen gets a mention in a few places with regards to the Family but I'm sceptical he had any involvement at all. I've never seen anything to link him to any other members of the Family.

Sunday Mail article 2006 by Nigel Hunt which I now can't find but is referenced in RTR has Don Storen as being closely questioned by Major Crime over Richard Kelvin's murder, not as a suspect but as a close associate of 'the businessman' assume Mr. R.

The earlier article approaching the Mullighan Inquiry has The Family as von Einem being one of the main, up to four members of the legal fraternity, a Correctional Services officer, the brother of a well known sportsman (Turtur?) Robert Brandenberg, clergy and others.

Among the professions involved, I imagine word was getting out pretty quick that Barnes? had shown up at Legal Aid the morning after Derrance was killed claiming to be a witness.

The Gay Bars
  • The Mars Bar - 120 Gouger St, Adelaide
  • The Green Dragon - Cnr South Tce and Pulteney St, Adelaide
  • The Duke of York - 82 Currie St, Adelaide
  • Buckingham Arms "The Buck" - 1 Walkerville Terrace, Gilberton
  • Patches - 142 North Terrace
  • The Colonel Light - Light Square

Another two, 'Pulteney 431' a block or so from The Green Dragon and 'Fiddlers' in Hindley Street.

Edit: Street kids hung out at Rundle Mall but another place they went to was a fun parlour called 'Tilt' in Hindley Street.

This is interesting, it was only updated today and stamped UNSOLVED.

MORE PEOPLE SUSPECTED IN THE ABDUCTION AND MURDER OF RICHARD KELVIN
Posted on 09/06/2020

This month marks 37 years since teenager Richard Kelvin was abducted at about 6.15 p.m. on Sunday 5 June 1983 from a laneway off Ward Street, North Adelaide. This was about 300 metres from his family home.

Witnesses from the immediate vicinity heard the sounds of raised voices coming from the area. As a result, investigators are convinced that more than one person was involved in Richard’s abduction.

A car with a loud exhaust was heard to drive away. That car has never been identified.

The 15-year old is believed to have been held captive at an unknown location for approximately five weeks.

On 24 July 1983 a family was searching for moss rocks near a dirt airstrip at Kersbrook when they located Richard’s body.

Similar to the Alan Barnes murder, there were indications that Richard had been washed and dressed after death. His toxicology results showed the presence of alcohol and sedative drugs.

Bevan Spencer von Einem has been convicted of the murder of Richard and remains in custody at this time. However, investigators are convinced that more than one person was involved in Richard’s murder.

Police believe this murder is associated with other high-profile murders commonly referred to in the media as the ‘Family Murders’.

A reward of up to $1,000,000 is on offer for a conviction in this case.

Has anyone on here been there. I ve thought about it! Curiosity, just to see him. Monster

i heard it rumoured of whom he may be, but no idea of whether there was any substance to that.
if correct, i did visit his shop several times during the early80's ... he had a scrub shop (complete with caustic bath) at the back of the premises which were reasonably close to the south parklands.

imho

Wonder who did the surgery... someone meticulous, like a clock fixer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most likely police believe in to be Woodards. He is/was a GP. Lived with the clock dealer at the time. In turn the clock dealer was being investigated for drugging and raping hitch hikers with Magistrate Richard Dutton Brown.

i heard it rumoured of whom he may be, but no idea of whether there was any substance to that.
if correct, i did visit his shop several times during the early80's ... he had a scrub shop (complete with caustic bath) at the back of the premises which were reasonably close to the south parklands.

imho
What's a scrub shop?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he had an antique/clock shop I would think a laundry designed to clean , strip , fabricate leather and other items in the antique ''game''

One of my cousins has an acid bath in the back of his antiques shed, he uses it to dip n strip. In his other life he was a butcher/boner.

They never found a crime scene did they? I heard about kelvin been kept in a caravan but no idea how true that was.

Last edited:
to appear in the district court in front of an actual judge for traffic offences, and others conspiring will likely be charged too.

Here's the ICAC official Statement on this today.

PUBLIC STATEMENT
Judicial officer arrested
Published on 29 Jun 2020

Statement by the Hon. Bruce Lander QC, Independent Commissioner Against Corruption
This morning my investigators executed five search warrants and have arrested Magistrate Robert Harrap.
Magistrate Harrap has been charged with two counts of deception and one count of conspiracy to commit the offence of abuse of public office and one count of conspiracy to attempt to obstruct or pervert the course of justice or due administration of the law.
It will be alleged that on two occasions between 19 May 2020 and 22 May 2020, Magistrate Harrap misrepresented who was driving his government issued vehicle at the time it was observed committing traffic offences and thereby engaged in deception in order to obtain a benefit for himself.
It will also be separately alleged that between 10 May 2020 and 29 May 2020 Magistrate Harrap conspired with another person to pervert the course of justice and conspired to abuse his public office in relation to a matter that was to be heard by him and was heard by him.
In making this statement I have had regard to the special circumstances of the matter and formed the view that it is appropriate to name Magistrate Harrap as a person arrested and charged as a result of an investigation by my office. This is a departure from my usual practice of not naming individuals who have been charged until they have appeared in court for the first time. In forming this view I have had regard to the matters listed in section 25 of the ICAC Act. In particular, I thought not naming the judicial officer would harm the confidence the community necessarily places in the judicial system.
The investigation is ongoing and it is anticipated that other charges may be laid and other persons may be charged. No other judicial officers have been subject to investigation.
Magistrate Harrap has been bailed to appear in the Adelaide Magistrates Court at 10am on 6 July 2020.
As this matter is before the court I will not be making further comment.

Long time reader of this thread, well before I registered. I've never posted here as I felt I really didn't have anything to add (I still don't but I just wanted to check in).

Lifelong Adelaide resident, I've been intrigued my entire life by this. I finally watched Frozen Lies, I listened to the podcast first which I thought was amazing.

One of the biggest surprises to me was the famous pic we see of Barnes also has a side profile pic to go with it... It's a mugshot! I knew of the allegations, but I didn't realize they were using a mugshot this whole time in a missing person case.

The info on this thread is the greatest example past any books or docos.

I've never believed it was some kind of organized hierarchy but more numerous circles, all involved at different times in different crimes. The one link to all circles is BVE. For example the transgenders didn't associate with the magistrates or doctors, but BVE was mates with all of them.

My personal theory is that Barnes was a kid who knew too much and maybe so was Muir. 100% sure that they both knew their killer/s and their murders were elaborated as a warning device to other kids on the Derrence-scene to keep their mouths shut about what went on, hence the escalation in their dismemberment.

Can't say whether Szach was innocent or not, but he knows way more than he's admitting.

I think Kastellan holds the key to all of this, at least to Stevensen/Barnes and maybe Muir.

I don't believe Barnes was randomly taken from Grand Junction Rd. I believe Darko invented this story and fed him to the wolves to protect himself and all associated.

My biggest concern with this case is the absolute lack of progress on the last 2 attempts to relaunch it. They apparently reviewed it in 2008 which lead to nothing. In 2014 after the Peters diary emerged there was apparently another attempt, but what happened? We NOW know thanks to the Frozen Lies podcast that the victims families were contacted and asked if they'd mind basically aquitting someone to land a conviction... hopefully this isn't Mr. B hindering the investigation again like he destroyed the 1990 case!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back