Unsolved The Family Murders

Remove this Banner Ad

The Who's Who List

Out of Sight - The Untold Story of Adelaide's Gay Hate Murders

The Cases of Forensic Pathologist Colin Manock

Use this thread below to lodge media, maps and photos for quick reference.

Last edited:

The implication in the ebook is that the bearded Brit with access to locked hospital rooms and more specifically one that might hold a slab, is South Australia's chief forensic pathologist Dr. Manock.

Dr. X is Colin Manock
I also missed this but vaguely recall the implication. I will read this part again because Mannock was indeed a Brit. If he is Dr X then it'd throw a spanner in the works.

Wasn't Mannock banging a female pr0n star? I think he may have married her too. Is he hetero, gay or somewhere in between?

Implication in the ebook is that the bearded Brit with access to locked hospital rooms and more specifically one that might hold a slab, was South Australia's chief forensic pathologist Dr. Manock.

Dr. X is Colin Manock

Manock was a forensic pathologist employed by the state government. Not sure if it was at the same location back then but currently all forensic post-mortems (other than regional centres) take place at Divett Place, Adelaide at the Forensic Science Centre.

So why there would be a steel autopsy table with gutters at the side in a hospital is a bit odd if all autopsies are done in a central location?

Of course things could have been different back then. There is also the question of whether the pathologists had access to other hospitals let alone had keys to the facilities.

Were any of the murders like a revenge killing?. being a tit-for-tat kind of attack.
"You have killed my boyfriend, now I am getting even"? they can be spiteful!

Were any of the murders like a revenge killing?. being a tit-for-tat kind of attack.
"You have killed my boyfriend, now I am getting even"? they can be spiteful!
The only one that could possibly apply to is Muir.
Langley, Stogneff & Kelvin were just kids who were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Media references to Manock in here, some of the links are dead but it's clear what they refer to. He was involved in Richard Kelvin's autopsy as well.

There's a ton of info: http://netk.net.au/ManockHome.asp
Wow. Netk and Moles have been very critical of poor work by Manock. And if I read these hints correctly the implication is that he (at best) knew some of the people potentially involved ??? Woodard's car was found across the road from his house ???

Wow. Netk and Moles have been very critical of poor work by Manock. And if I read these hints correctly the implication is that he (at best) knew some of the people potentially involved ??? Woodard's car was found across the road from his house ???

According to the ebook, it was Dr Millhouse's car that was found outside Professor Jepson's house run out of fuel, he was a surgeon and lecturer at the University of Adelaide Medical School. Millhouse had formerly been one of his students. The house across the road was owned by Gary Weir Samson who also socialized with Millhouse and whose business premises were next door to Derrence Stevenson's house.

Neither of them were ever considered suspects and nothing of Muir was found in Millhouse's car, investigators were satisfied Millhouse's car wasn't used to move Muir.

Very weird series of coincidences.

Edited to correct typo. Samson not Sampson.

According to the ebook, it was Dr Millhouse's car that was found outside Professor Jepson's house run out of fuel, he was a surgeon and lecturer at the University of Adelaide Medical School. Millhouse had formerly been one of his students. The house across the road was owned by Gary Weir Simpson who also socialized with Millhouse and whose business premises were next door to Derrence Stevenson's house.

Neither of them were ever considered suspects and nothing of Muir was found in Millhouse's car, investigators were satisfied Millhouse's car wasn't used to move Muir.

Very weird series of coincidences.
Yes, of course, Jepson. Is that Gary Sampson the accountant? Had an unhappy (business) reputation and was made bankrupt?

Yes, of course, Jepson. Is that Gary Sampson the accountant? Had an unhappy (business) reputation and was made bankrupt?

Would be a huge coincidence for two accountants to have the same name.

“The house immediately across the road from the car was owned by accountant Gary Weir Samson, who had known and socialized with Dr Millhouse when living at St Peters.
As pointed out previously, the accountant’s business premises were located immediately next to the house owned by Derrance Stevenson”

Excerpt from
The Family Murders
Greg McInerny & Wendy Roles
This material may be protected by copyright.

I found this:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/businessman-charged-with-theft-20060531-ge2f9x.html

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies for the added P. I don't know him at all, but was very aware of his business reputation when I was in Adelaide...I probably need to be careful what I say here, but he didn't have the type of business reputation that your mother would like you to have.

Media references to Manock in here, some of the links are dead but it's clear what they refer to. He was involved in Richard Kelvin's autopsy as well.

This might be iffy info. Not sure how much involvement Manock might have had with Richard Kelvin's autopsy although it's my understanding he was the boss?

Can anybody clarify?

This might be iffy info. Not sure how much involvement Manock might have had with Richard Kelvin's autopsy although it's my understanding he was the boss?

Can anybody clarify?
Netk page on Manock references: "3 March 1988 – The Advertiser – Andrew Male - Langley, Barnes, Muir, Stogneff – drugged, sex, died, all young.
These killing have been referred to in South Australia as "The Family Murders". The forensic examinations involved Dr Colin Manock, Dr Ross James and Mr Bob Locan

Netk page on Manock references: "3 March 1988 – The Advertiser – Andrew Male - Langley, Barnes, Muir, Stogneff – drugged, sex, died, all young.
These killing have been referred to in South Australia as "The Family Murders". The forensic examinations involved Dr Colin Manock, Dr Ross James and Mr Bob Locan
Although the new book says "Interestingly, the bearded ‘unqualified’ Manock who was imported from Great Britain to assume the position as South Australia’s top pathologist had far less input into evidence on any of the other Family murders. Most of these would be handled by fellow pathologist Ross James.

Manock was a forensic pathologist employed by the state government. Not sure if it was at the same location back then but currently all forensic post-mortems (other than regional centres) take place at Divett Place, Adelaide at the Forensic Science Centre.

So why there would be a steel autopsy table with gutters at the side in a hospital is a bit odd if all autopsies are done in a central location?

Of course things could have been different back then. There is also the question of whether the pathologists had access to other hospitals let alone had keys to the facilities.

These probably don't pertain to post-mortems directed by the Coroner but they are doing them here, no idea what they were doing back in the early 80's. It might be possible the state government's Chief Pathologist would have keys.

Hmmmm

Hospital post-mortem examinations
The majority of hospital post-mortems are undertaken by SA Pathology Anatomical Pathology Departments at the Royal Adelaide Hospital (adults) and the Women's and Children's Hospital (children and babies).

These probably don't pertain to post-mortems directed by the Coroner but they are doing them here, no idea what they were doing back in the early 80's. It might be possible the state government's Chief Pathologist would have keys.

Hmmmm

Hospital post-mortem examinations
The majority of hospital post-mortems are undertaken by SA Pathology Anatomical Pathology Departments at the Royal Adelaide Hospital (adults) and the Women's and Children's Hospital (children and babies).

Are “hospital post-mortems” for people who died in hospital? I feel like murders or unexplained deaths would always be forensic post-mortems and be done by forensic pathologists? Manock wasn’t qualified to be a forensic pathologist but somehow bluffed his way through 27 years of the job.

Are “hospital post-mortems” for people who died in hospital? I feel like murders or unexplained deaths would always be forensic post-mortems and be done by forensic pathologists? Manock wasn’t qualified to be a forensic pathologist but somehow bluffed his way through 27 years of the job.

Yes, post-mortems in the big hospitals might have something to do with organ transplants and tissue harvesting as well?

If he has immunity, then he has no fear of divulging what he knows. Von Einem and another, also at one time rented their own units so what he has said in that nobody was murdered in his house is probably true and the reason they probably weren't where von Einem controlled his worst impulses is because there were too many witnesses.
Well you would imagine That to be the case, however when he told the police ‘everything’ he knows, I’m sure there were many gory details he left out, if he came out with new evidence now, his immunity would be quashed

It's from the last episode of the Frozen Lies podcast, near the end.

At around 34min of final podcast:

DM interviews NM's brother and he says police approached him 5 years and asked if he would mind if someone were given immunity. Someone who was there but didn't get involved.

Mr B? If so it means he was still alive 5 years ago and that he was also present for the second murder.

It says "peripheral person" so maybe not Mr B. Who else could it be? LT?

At around 34min of final podcast:

DM interviews NM's brother and he says police approached him 5 years and asked if he would mind if someone were given immunity. Someone who was there but didn't get involved.

Mr B? If so it means he was still alive 5 years ago and that he was also present for the second murder.

It says "peripheral person" so maybe not Mr B. Who else could it be? LT?

Or Jacquie the nurse who lived with Mr B in a unit in Stepney. Jacquie later becomes JL as it's theorised she was there for Richard Kelvin's abduction.

VICTIMS
AB - Alan Barnes 16yo
NM - Neil Muir 25yo
PS - Peter Stogneff 14yo
ML - Mark Langley 18yo
RK- Richard Kelvin 15yo
I find that so very sad, I was a good friend of Alans mother Judy through a group we were both members of. I went to her house for coffee a few times and she always liked to talk about Alan, she said he was a good boy and would never be involved in anything untoward.
May she rest in peace now,but i'm kind of glad she's no longer with us, I would have hated for her to see what is being said about her beloved son.
Although I have no doubt that it happened and that was his lifestyle, but she would have fought hammer and tongs to clear her son of the things said about him!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back