Unsolved The Family Murders

The Who's Who List

Out of Sight - The Untold Story of Adelaide's Gay Hate Murders

The Cases of Forensic Pathologist Colin Manock

Use this thread below to lodge media, maps and photos for quick reference.

Last edited:

DropBearess

Premium Platinum
Apr 3, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I will never understand why nobody, other than Mr B apparently, went to the police.

How could so many people be aware of such horrific crimes and say nothing, and I’m talking about drugging and raping as well, not just the murders.

Yes, they were all drug addicted, mandrax gobbling, heroin using etc, reliant on BvE for their pills, but nobody had a shred of decency? Not one of them thought, gee hang on this isn’t right?

And afterwards, they just went on their way with no repercussions?

A dig through Facebook shows that Pru, Sarah, Megan, Samantha were highly thought of in the trans community, and are referred to as warm, caring, supportive people. It’s like they were living two completely separate lives.

I would love to know how hard police pushed them at the time.

They did indeed just go on with it all afterwards, without a shred of decency. They hid in Sydney for several years, then returned and life went on.

I, too have never been able to grasp exactly how people could behave like this, especially after knowing full well what was likely to happen after AB. They went ahead as BVE's assistants just the same.

Then, on returning, a couple of them went into roles in a caring capacity (nursing etc.). Goodness knows how people could live two different lives.

I believe very little pressure was placed on Pru.
As far as l know she was formally interviewed only once, twice at most. Two informal interviews as well, possibly. She testified at BVE's trial. Charlie would know more.

Last edited:

JezMez

Team Captain
Sep 15, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
There are facts, there is speculation and there is reasonable assumption.

There’s speculation that NM was in the car with BVE when AB was picked up. There’s speculation that NM was at Stevenson’s house the night he was murdered. It’s probably a fact that NM was struggling with life and IF he was being drawn into even darker sides of life he may have wanted to “get out” - especially with having a fiancé and a child.
I think it’s a reasonable assumption to say Police have not investigated this very well. There would be a range of reasons for this which have been previously discussed. It also seems they rushed parts of the investigation by offering immunity deals and hoping that would at least get them somewhere, yet it didn’t.
this is why it might be time for a Royal Commission - to look at not only the investigation but to also bring the main players back in, in their ageing states, to see if something can be salvaged from the whole calamity and some (if not full) closure can finally be achieved.
Gambardella says he is willing to talk. Turtur has started to talk. Mr B - ? Mr R never seemed to be out under much pressure, he wasn’t even a witness for the Kelvin trial IIRC. Then there is Woodards and MGL and Darko Kastelan. I don’t know if Gant or Brook or Collier are still around. Plus there are no doubt known victims still alive who might come forward and there might even be victims olwho haven’t previously come forward that may now. Who knows what the redacted elements of the Mulligan Inquiry said?
Plenty of reasons to have a real go at this (again) now....
Wasn't there speculation Barnes was at Stevenson's the night of? First I've heard about Muir. There's speculation Derrance may have been dealing H (or using it to ply young street kids with). So Muir could have been involved in some trade, but by that time he was pretty washed up.

No doubt, opportunities have been missed.

Wasn't there speculation Barnes was at Stevenson's the night of? First I've heard about Muir. There's speculation Derrance may have been dealing H (or using it to ply young street kids with). So Muir could have been involved in some trade, but by that time he was pretty washed up.

No doubt, opportunities have been missed.

That Neil Muir might have been at Derrance's house was raised in here back a bit in the thread. His brother on Frozen Lies had said that Neil talked about going to a house with a floppy roof. We know now that Neil also had priors so it's possible he may have used Derrance before and that he might be familiar with the Legal Aid offices. The question has been asked in here prior, if it wasn't Alan that showed up at Legal Aid the morning after the murder, if it could have been Neil.

JezMez

Team Captain
Sep 15, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
That Neil Muir might have been at Derrance's house was raised in here early in the thread. His brother on Frozen Lies had said that Neil talked about going to a house with a floppy roof. We know now that Neil also had priors so it's possible he may have used Derrance before and that he might be familiar with the Legal Aid offices. The question has been asked in here prior, if it wasn't Alan that showed up at Legal Aid the morning after the murder, if it could have been Neil.
There's not really any evidence he was there on the night of though. Just some speculation on a forum. I'm not sure where Debi Marshall got her info from but she seemed to think there was a big chance Darko was there and from memory, a reasonable chance Barnes was there. As Bits said - it's just amazing that some many people who knew things opted to stay silent. Gamba could probably clear this up.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
I will never understand why nobody, other than Mr B apparently, went to the police.

How could so many people be aware of such horrific crimes and say nothing, and I’m talking about drugging and raping as well, not just the murders.

Yes, they were all drug addicted, mandrax gobbling, heroin using etc, reliant on BvE for their pills, but nobody had a shred of decency? Not one of them thought, gee hang on this isn’t right?

And afterwards, they just went on their way with no repercussions?

A dig through Facebook shows that Pru, Sarah, Megan, Samantha were highly thought of in the trans community, and are referred to as warm, caring, supportive people. It’s like they were living two completely separate lives.

I would love to know how hard police pushed them at the time.
They did indeed just go on with it all afterwards, without a shred of decency. They hid in Sydney for several years, then returned and life went on.

I, too have never been able to grasp exactly people could behave like this, especially after knowing full well what was likely to happen after AB. They went ahead as BVE's assistants just the same.

Then, on returning, a couple of them went into roles in a caring capacity (nursing etc.). Goodness knows how people could live two different lives.

I believe very little pressure was placed on Pru.
As far as l know she was formally interviewed only once, twice at most. Two informal interviews as well, possibly. She testified at BVE's trial. Charlie would know more.

Just as Mr B was ultimately discredited due to lifestyle and drug use - so would these 3/4 - even more so than Mr B .

Today may be a different story but in 1985 having their lives paraded for all to see would not have led them to be open about what happened

As to how such behaviour conflicts with later life events is quite common. A need to atone may have drawn some to caring. (personal atonement not public)

I do agree that now is the time to place pressure on those still alive

Bits

Team Captain
Oct 31, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just as Mr B was ultimately discredited due to lifestyle and drug use - so would these 3/4 - even more so than Mr B .

Today may be a different story but in 1985 having their lives paraded for all to see would not have led them to be open about what happened

Totally agree. My point was, at least Mr B tried to tell the police. As far as we know, nobody else said anything at all to stop this.

There are so many others not directly implicated in the murders who could have made a phone call or dropped a note into a letterbox. At the very least, with more reports, the police may have taken things more seriously and turned up the heat under BvE much sooner. As Charlie has said repeatedly there were four boys after Alan who could have been saved, and possibly dozens, if not hundreds, of rapes prevented.

squawk

Debutant
Sep 22, 2008
Coopers Stadium
Other Teams
Norwood Football Club
What is the legal position on such testimony? Is it hearsay?
It probably is but if the same hearsay is repeated by different people then it paints a good picture. The point is that new lines of inquiry and questioning can be opened up for police PLUS an Inquiry such as a Royal Commission can make recommendations to Police.

squawk

Debutant
Sep 22, 2008
Coopers Stadium
Other Teams
Norwood Football Club
If anyone is interested in contextual reading, there are a couple of books worth looking at.
The Salisbury Affair by Stewart Cockburn. What’s interesting is that Dunstan sacked the Police Commussioner because he wanted to clean the town up, so to speak. The issue was that some of the people Salisbury was looking at mixed in Dunstan’s circles. These days the Police Commissioner has carriage of operational decisions so it’s unlikely the same situation could occur now. This resulted in a Royal Commission (but I haven’t looked at that myself).
The other book is by Des Ryan and Mike McEwen and is called “It’s Grossly Improper”. Published in Nov 1979, it is best summarised by this short paragraph in the book....
“This is the story of how Dunstan chose wrongly between the principles he espoused, of accountability and integrity in government, and personal, selfish considerations which violated those same principles. It is the story of how Dunstan’s administration of government in SA was influenced by his sexual relationship with another man. In writing this book we were guided by one philosophy: the personal life of a public figure should be its own; but once that private life affects his capacity to execute his public duties in a responsible manner then it becomes the legitimate subject of the closest scrutiny. Dunstan himself has expressed the same opinion.”

squawk

Debutant
Sep 22, 2008
Coopers Stadium
Other Teams
Norwood Football Club
I believe it would be hearsay and therefore inadmissible.
But not necessarily in a Royal Commission, I don’t think. (Happy to stand corrected). A RC is an Inquiry with sweeping and coercive powers that has different rules to a Court of Law. The Govt sets the Terms of Reference for a RC so it is charged to investigate to find answers to the terms of reference and make recommendations as a result.

DropBearess

Premium Platinum
Apr 3, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
If anyone is interested in contextual reading, there are a couple of books worth looking at.
The Salisbury Affair by Stewart Cockburn. What’s interesting is that Dunstan sacked the Police Commussioner because he wanted to clean the town up, so to speak. The issue was that some of the people Salisbury was looking at mixed in Dunstan’s circles. These days the Police Commissioner has carriage of operational decisions so it’s unlikely the same situation could occur now. This resulted in a Royal Commission (but I haven’t looked at that myself).
The other book is by Des Ryan and Mike McEwen and is called “It’s Grossly Improper”. Published in Nov 1979, it is best summarised by this short paragraph in the book....
“This is the story of how Dunstan chose wrongly between the principles he espoused, of accountability and integrity in government, and personal, selfish considerations which violated those same principles. It is the story of how Dunstan’s administration of government in SA was influenced by his sexual relationship with another man. In writing this book we were guided by one philosophy: the personal life of a public figure should be its own; but once that private life affects his capacity to execute his public duties in a responsible manner then it becomes the legitimate subject of the closest scrutiny. Dunstan himself has expressed the same opinion.”

Thanks for reminding us about those books Squawk. I read both many years ago and of course there was no apparent relevance therein to this case at the time. Required reading l reckon. Chasing both up on Kindle right now for good camping reads!

Punk Rooster 16

Debutant
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
North Adelaide (SANFL)
Someone was asking Charlie a while back where Dario/Darko Kastelan lived. The 1979 telephone directory lists the Kastelans at 677 Torrens Rd, Cheltenham.
The Legal Services Commission was at 24 Flinders St in 1979 - just a few blocks from where Neil Muir lived in Carrington Street.
Dennis Ronald Edwards (aka D St D) at Allenby Gardens?
BSVE at Mile End (although I’d read somewhere it was Thebarton, and near the Brewery...)

squawk

Debutant
Sep 22, 2008
Coopers Stadium
Other Teams
Norwood Football Club
Dennis Ronald Edwards (aka D St D) at Allenby Gardens?
BSVE at Mile End (although I’d read somewhere it was Thebarton, and near the Brewery...)
Yes I did see BVE at an address in Thebarton. It’s an industrial site now - looks like Sharpe electrical on Google Earth. I didn’t keep a record of it though - it was circa mid-late 70s.

squawk

Debutant
Sep 22, 2008
Coopers Stadium
Other Teams
Norwood Football Club
Thanks for reminding us about those books Squawk. I read both many years ago and of course there was no apparent relevance therein to this case at the time. Required reading l reckon. Chasing both up on Kindle right now for good camping reads!
Yes I read them both some time ago as well. I still have both books, which I have dug out and will endeavour to revisit! Would also be interesting to look at the report of the Salisbury Royal Commission.

squawk

Debutant
Sep 22, 2008
Coopers Stadium
Other Teams
Norwood Football Club
Here are the cover’s of these two books.
Are they in Kindle, DropBearess?

Attachments

• 8CD78A3F-552D-424A-B91E-72735858FD18.jpeg
    8CD78A3F-552D-424A-B91E-72735858FD18.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 122
  • 4B28E896-D694-42C4-9CA4-F7557621C9AC.jpeg
    4B28E896-D694-42C4-9CA4-F7557621C9AC.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 122

squawk

Debutant
Sep 22, 2008
Coopers Stadium
Other Teams
Norwood Football Club
Addresses for Don Storen, BVE’s relatives the Alcorns at Inglewood (where his mother Thora visited on alternate weekends) and “Mr Denis” the hairdresser - all from the 1979 phone book.

Attachments

• DFAB9F35-B357-4498-8041-7C777D168726.jpeg
    DFAB9F35-B357-4498-8041-7C777D168726.jpeg
    479.2 KB · Views: 183
  • 2B35DB07-1ABB-4E21-8654-33433EA9FF67.jpeg
    2B35DB07-1ABB-4E21-8654-33433EA9FF67.jpeg
    509.7 KB · Views: 185
  • 69034EFA-B1F0-4FD7-99DF-BAAE71021A82.jpeg
    69034EFA-B1F0-4FD7-99DF-BAAE71021A82.jpeg
    373 KB · Views: 178

squawk

Debutant
Sep 22, 2008
Coopers Stadium
Other Teams
Norwood Football Club
No addresses identified as yet for:
GG practice on Prospect Rd
Peter Millhouse residence (North Adelaide?)
Woodards’ practice
Dr Robert Koulakis
Clocker aka Chris Wall (?)
The Highbury Unit
The Payneham Rd Unit of Jackie L
The number of the place in Chatham St Adelaide used by the TGs.
According to bigfooty.com, Kerry W’s surname is/was Warburton.

JezMez

Team Captain
Sep 15, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
No addresses identified as yet for:
GG practice on Prospect Rd
Peter Millhouse residence (North Adelaide?)
Woodards’ practice
Dr Robert Koulakis
Clocker aka Chris Wall (?)
The Highbury Unit
The Payneham Rd Unit of Jackie L
The number of the place in Chatham St Adelaide used by the TGs.
According to bigfooty.com, Kerry W’s surname is/was Warburton.
We know where Clocker is.

squawk

Debutant
Sep 22, 2008
Coopers Stadium
Other Teams
Norwood Football Club
1990 interstate newspaper report

"Man 'had sex with corpse in back seat'

ADELAIDE: A witness told the Adelaide Magistrates Court yesterday that he had seen someone having sex with a corpse while he was being raped by Bevan Spencer Von Einem, the man accused of two of the so-called Family killings.

SP, 28, said that after blacking out in Von Einem's car in 1978 he had come to with the accused performing oral sex on him. He told a preliminary hearing that Von Einem had then pushed something into his anus. At this time a Greek looking man had been having sex with a corpse in the back seat of the car. Peters said he was sure that the person had been dead. "Death is something you can feel," he told the court. SP said he had thought he was going to be killed but after blacking out again he had come to as he was being dropped off by Von Einem near his home.

Von Einem, 43, has been charged with the 1979 murder of Alan Barnes, 17, and the 1982 killing of Mark Langley, 18. He has entered no pleas but is already serving a life sentence for the 1983 murder of 15-year-old Richard Kelvin. All three teenagers died from blood loss caused by severe anal injuries.

At the opening of his evidence yesterday SP said he had twice been offered a lift by Von Einem in 1978. It was on the second occasion that he had been ofTered some white pills and blacked out after going to an Adelaide hotel for a drink. He said the incident in the car with Von Einem which followed had been his first sexual encounter. He had been 15.

Because of the nature of SP’s evidence both the defence and the prosecution successfully applied for it to be suppressed preventing its broadcast or publication in South Australia.

The hearing is continuing."

SP might be “George”. But more importantly – the reference to the Greek looking man could place Woodards there, or (simply by his name) – Dr Koulakis?

Last edited:

JezMez

Team Captain
Sep 15, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
1990 interstate newspaper report

"Man 'had sex with corpse in back seat'

ADELAIDE: A witness told the Adelaide Magistrates Court yesterday that he had seen someone having sex with a corpse while he was being raped by Bevan Spencer Von Einem, the man accused of two of the so-called Family killings.

SP, 28, said that after blacking out in Von Einem's car in 1978 he had come to with the accused performing oral sex on him. He told a preliminary hearing that Von Einem had then pushed something into his anus. At this time a Greek looking man had been having sex with a corpse in the back seat of the car. Peters said he was sure that the person had been dead. "Death is something you can feel," he told the court. Peters said he had thought he was going to be killed but after blacking out again he had come to as he was being dropped off by Von Einem near his home.

Von Einem, 43, has been charged with the 1979 murder of Alan Barnes, 17, and the 1982 killing of Mark Langley, 18. He has entered no pleas but is already serving a life sentence for the 1983 murder of 15-year-old Richard Kelvin. All three teenagers died from blood loss caused by severe anal injuries.

At the opening of his evidence yesterday SP said he had twice been offered a lift by Von Einem in 1978. It was on the second occasion that he had been ofTered some white pills and blacked out after going to an Adelaide hotel for a drink. He said the incident in the car with Von Einem which followed had been his first sexual encounter. He had been 15.

Because of the nature of SP’s evidence both the defence and the prosecution successfully applied for it to be suppressed preventing its broadcast or publication in South Australia.

The hearing is continuing."

SP might be “George”. But more importantly – the reference to the Greek looking man could place Woodards there, or (simply by his name) – Dr Koulakis?
Can't be George - he was 16ish in 1982.

It also seems to say his name "Peters".

Greek man? LT? Gamba? I strongly suspect LT had the same role Mr B did before Mr B came along. I doubt the other kid was dead though - probably comatose from roofies.

Back