Unsolved The Family Murders

Remove this Banner Ad

The Who's Who List

Out of Sight - The Untold Story of Adelaide's Gay Hate Murders

The Cases of Forensic Pathologist Colin Manock

Use this thread below to lodge media, maps and photos for quick reference.

Last edited:

Bits

Team Captain
Oct 31, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’m still intrigued by the ebook repeatedly mentioning the butcher from the western suburbs. I think it was Grange? He is mentioned a few times as a friend of BvE and was a witness in court. But the ebook then goes nowhere with him. Legal constraints on what they could say perhaps?

They have included him for a reason - is it either a big red arrow pointing at this mystery man, or did they need some page filler and he is largely irrelevant?

Butchers, after all, manage large quantities of meat and have all the necessary knowledge and equipment to dismember, de-bone, de-flesh. And the ability to dispose of it.

SquiffyRae

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m still intrigued by the ebook repeatedly mentioning the butcher from the western suburbs. I think it was Grange? He is mentioned a few times as a friend of BvE and was a witness in court. But the ebook then goes nowhere with him. Legal constraints on what they could say perhaps?

They have included him for a reason - is it either a big red arrow pointing at this mystery man, or did they need some page filler and he is largely irrelevant?

Butchers, after all, manage large quantities of meat and have all the necessary knowledge and equipment to dismember, de-bone, de-flesh. And the ability to dispose of it.

A butcher would at least account for how someone could do a "professional-looking" dissection of someone without being someone with surgical knowledge if you had to have a suspect that fitted those criteria as well. If you do it to animals for your job you probably wouldn't be too squeamish to do it to a person if you were that way inclined.

Wouldn't be the first time in Australia that people working with meat went on to be butchers of a different kind. Katherine Knight went psycho and used her skills on her husband. John Bunting when he held a job was also apparently a little too good at the abattoirs

squawk

Debutant
Sep 22, 2008
Coopers Stadium
Other Teams
Norwood Football Club
The curious thing about the butcher is that in Millhouse’s trial his defence was that the work was skilled beyond his own skills. I think an expert from the Abbatoirs also said the dissections weren’t consistent with butchery techniques?

Bits

Team Captain
Oct 31, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
The curious thing about the butcher is that in Millhouse’s trial his defence was that the work was skilled beyond his own skills. I think an expert from the Abbatoirs also said the dissections weren’t consistent with butchery techniques?

Yep. Both those things happened. Still curious as to the ebook’s reason for giving this person so much attention. Still, butchers carve up meat & bones daily. Millhouse was not a full-time surgeon, and not an orthopaedic surgeon as far as I know.

Just another unanswered question that bugs me.

SquiffyRae

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
The sticking point seems to be the supposed amount of skill needed to do what was done to NM in the way that it was. To quote the e-book that quoted the Crown prosecutor:

Mutilation also by dismemberment. Arms and legs removed by neatly cutting through the arm and hip joints with a fine bladed knife or instrument. The lower arms were separated from the upper joints by neatly cutting through the elbow joints.
Although in some places the incisions or cuts appeared rough, jagged or hacked this was perhaps due to the instruments becoming blunt or tiredness of the person responsible.

In the prosecution's version, dismemberment came first with those cuts apparently being clean but as they got down to removing the skin and muscle the cuts started getting rougher. The main thing I'd query is the accuracy of the prosecution's statements as it seems beneficial to their case against Millhouse to allege the dismemberment was clean and could therefore only be the work of someone with medical training and anatomical knowledge. Weirdly though that also goes against them when, as Millhouse claimed, he was skilled but not that skilled.

If Millhouse is indeed right then that's a little concerning because nobody definitively connected with the Family has that level of skill and it would imply there's someone quite high up that hasn't been connected with them. Personally, my money is on the alternative that the level of skill needed has been exaggerated thanks to Millhouse's trial and that you wouldn't need to be a skilled surgeon to do what was done and that the mutilation could have been carried out by a known suspect (my bet is still Woodards for this)

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
In the prosecution's version, dismemberment came first with those cuts apparently being clean but as they got down to removing the skin and muscle the cuts started getting rougher. The main thing I'd query is the accuracy of the prosecution's statements as it seems beneficial to their case against Millhouse to allege the dismemberment was clean and could therefore only be the work of someone with medical training and anatomical knowledge. Weirdly though that also goes against them when, as Millhouse claimed, he was skilled but not that skilled.

If Millhouse is indeed right then that's a little concerning because nobody definitively connected with the Family has that level of skill and it would imply there's someone quite high up that hasn't been connected with them. Personally, my money is on the alternative that the level of skill needed has been exaggerated thanks to Millhouse's trial and that you wouldn't need to be a skilled surgeon to do what was done and that the mutilation could have been carried out by a known suspect (my bet is still Woodards for this)
Doesnt this put Millhouse back in the frame?

ie if the level of skill is exaggerated then the person didnt need to be ''that skilled'' as Millhouse alibied himself

squawk

Debutant
Sep 22, 2008
Coopers Stadium
Other Teams
Norwood Football Club
The sticking point seems to be the supposed amount of skill needed to do what was done to NM in the way that it was. To quote the e-book that quoted the Crown prosecutor:

I don’t think it is/was Woodards. He isn’t any more qualified (as far as I’m aware) than Millhouse and in fact based on their time of graduation, Millhouse was roughly a decade more ‘experienced’ than Woodards as a medical practitioner.

Raisedeyebrow

Debutant
May 13, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Can I just say I'm excited there's more posts on this thread! It was too quiet. The other week I parked out front of DRs clockshop on ********** hoping to see him and maybe sneek a photo but it's always closed.
Any more updates from people's contacts?

Last edited by a moderator:

SquiffyRae

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Can I just say I'm excited there's more posts on this thread! It was too quiet. The other week I parked out front of DRs clockshop on ********** hoping to see him and maybe sneek a photo but it's always closed.
Any more updates from people's contacts?

Last I heard from comments buried deep in this thread the clock shop runs by appointment only and DR only opens up if you make an appointment

Last edited by a moderator:

lcozzie

Draftee
Jun 8, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
It’s also possible that this isn’t Mark’s actual wound, but a stock photo that channel 9 used. His body was out in the open in summer for up to a week and was quite decomposed.

I’ve read in a couple of sources that the wound was stapled, in others that it was stitched. I grabbed a shot also. If it is him, if you look at the middle stitch/staple there is a lighter area that could be a metallic staple reflecting, but at the bottom it looks like the ends of a stitch sticking up. Unless the autopsy report is ever released I guess we won’t know for sure.

View attachment 1067808

The wound photo is indeed a stock image. If you look just below that middle stitch with the ostensible metallic reflection, you can just make out a 'Dreamstime' watermark. It's a bit more visible when watching the program.

By the way - this thread is an incredible resource. Well done, all.

Gayspie2020

Rookie
Mar 26, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
How did the street kids get from Interstate to Adelaide if they had no money?
What made the government youth support workers at the time so hopeless?

SquiffyRae

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
David Szach ... why is his name being brought up regarding the Family Murders? I believe he was innocent of the Stevenson murder.

I only just noticed when when I loaded the page today. Old comment I know but somebody definitely didn't see the documentary series Szach begged Debi Marshall to make to prove once and for all he was innocent that only succeeded in making an even stronger case for his guilt. The ending where Marshall lays out all the evidence pointing to his guilt only for Szach to storm off in a huff is hilarious

DropBearess

Premium Platinum
Apr 3, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
How did the street kids get from Interstate to Adelaide if they had no money?
What made the government youth support workers at the time so hopeless?

Most were runaways, often due to sexual/physical/emotional abuse. Hitch-hiking was the currency at the time due to their desperation to escape with no other options. Some were even abused on the way. Subsequently, they fell into the exact situations from which they were escaping, because it was familiar ground.

They ended up finding shelter and creature comforts for free. There were plenty of creeps in Adelaide willing to provide it all; plenty of apprentice BVE's out there in the early to mid 70s.

Social Workers were inadequate and well out of their depth for a multitude of reasons. No government cars, no training, no internet, no mobiles, no time to write notes, no protection, no access to histories, no support...the list goes on. Most of all; no knowledge, training or understanding whatsover of minority groups at the time and the role some of them played in the seedier side of Adelaide.

It's no wonder the sordidity of BVE and Co survived and thrived so easily then.

Para-Social Workers, such as church youth volunteers, were often more successful as we blended, befriended and did not judge. We had no connections with the law and were privy to many of their secrets. We were "cool" to them.

But the bottom line; we still had no training, no rescue options and no funding. We had to go to the library to find out what transgender, transsexual and homosexual meant, so we could attempt to get a handle on things we were being told. Such was our naivety in those days. There were no doctors we knew of to refer guys with sore and infected bums, so they suffered in silence and went back for more food and shelter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will never understand why nobody, other than Mr B apparently, went to the police.

How could so many people be aware of such horrific crimes and say nothing, and I’m talking about drugging and raping as well, not just the murders.

Yes, they were all drug addicted, mandrax gobbling, heroin using etc, reliant on BvE for their pills, but nobody had a shred of decency? Not one of them thought, gee hang on this isn’t right?

And afterwards, they just went on their way with no repercussions?

A dig through Facebook shows that Pru, Sarah, Megan, Samantha were highly thought of in the trans community, and are referred to as warm, caring, supportive people. It’s like they were living two completely separate lives.

I would love to know how hard police pushed them at the time.

Fear

People knew police, judges and many from North Adelaide were involved. They also knew they and their families would be at risk.

squawk

Debutant
Sep 22, 2008
Coopers Stadium
Other Teams
Norwood Football Club
Drugs

The Modus Operandi of ‘the Family’ was simple and effective. Drive around the streets of Adelaide; source young male hitchhikers; lure them into the car with the promise of going to a party where there would be women and drugs freely available; drug them; take to them a location occupied by a member of associate of the Family – or rented as premises for this particular purpose – and then rape and/or murder them.

The only exception to this appears to have been Neil Muir, but beyond the five murders it is estimated that one young male was targeted every weekend in this manner, for at least 4 years.

When von Einem was questioned by police at his home in November 1983, they found numerous prescribed pills including one bottle with mixed drugs such as rohypnol and Valium, 2 bottles of mandrax and 1 bottle of noctec/chloral hydrate. It was these pills which were used to knock out the victims and also used as ‘payment’ for the numerous female and transgender lures employed by von Einem to ride in his car with him. These presence of these lures implied that it was safe for young male hitchikers to get in the car with von Einem.

What exactly were these drugs?

Mandrax

Street name ‘randy mandies’. Also known as Quaaludes.

Prescribed by Dr Cowan to von Einem, in abundance and in numbers far in excess of the needs of an individual, much less an individual taking a monitored medical dosage. Found in the bodies of Alan Barnes, Mark Langley and Richard Kelvin.

An anti-depressant, a sedative and a sleeping pill that was very effective with alcohol. BVE also used this himself. As well as a sleep inducer, it is pharmaceutically used to reduce stress and anxiety and is very addictive. When taken orally with alcohol the euphoric effects are magnified. It is sometimes crushed and snorted, or crushed and smoked as a mixer with marijuana. Side effects include addiction, cramps, insomnia, headaches, emotional instability and loss of muscle control.

1623638393931.png

Noctec/Chloral Hydrate

A sedative which was particularly effective with alcohol. Found in the bodies of Alan Barnes and Richard Kelvin.

The bona fide use of this drug is for the purpose of calming a patient prior to surgery or other procedures. It is classed as a hypnotic drug that causes certain parts of the brain to promote calmness. It is taken orally with liquid, with or without food, usually 30 minutes prior to a procedure. Side effects include drowsiness; trouble waking up in the morning; nausea; vomiting; stomach pain; diarrhea and stomach problems.

1623638421722.png

Rohypnol

Also prescribed to BVE.

A benzodiazepam used to treat severe insomnia and assist with anaesthesia. Classed as a hypnotic drug. Street name ‘roofies’, and a drug frequently used for committing date rapes. As a tranquiliser, it is ten times more potent than Valium. Use of rohypnol can cause confusion and also cause people to lose their memory of what happened after taking it.

Rohypnol used to come as a white tablet that had no smell or taste. Nowadays it comes with a blue dye that is visibly activated in liquid. It can cause someone to fall unconscious in just a few minutes. Pharmaceutical uses include seizure prevention, a muscle relaxant and an anxiety relaxant. Also misused to counter the effects of ‘coming down’ from cocaine and meth. Very addictive. Full effects take up to 30 minutes to be felt and the peak lasts for up to 2 hours. The high will last for up to six hours and residual effects can last for up to 12 hours.

Side effects include confusion, disorientation, amnesia, loss of control and coordination, drowsiness, invincibility, sudden mood changes, nausea and vomiting, a desire to isolate yourself from other people, fear and anxiety from the high causing panic, fearful thoughts, impaired judgement. An intense hangover the following day. The hangover can cause people to mistakenly believe that they have simply drunk too much alcohol. It is an effective rape weapon as victims have a hard time remembering an assault; may not be able to offer or recall consent; and may not be able to remember their attacker or the circumstances of the attack.

1623638451340.png
1623638467926.png

Tuinal

A barbiturate that functions as a relaxant and a sedative-hypnotic (sleeping pill). Found in the body of Richard Kelvin. Administered orally. Puts users to sleep quickly, and keeps them asleep through the night. Addictive and carries a high risk of overdose. Discontinued by manufacturers in the late 1990s due to frequent abuse.

1623638490295.png

Other drugs prescribed to von Einem

Diazepam/Valium - which was also found in the body of Richard Kelvin.

Diazepam. This is used to treat anxiety, alcohol withdrawal, and seizures. It is also used to relieve muscle spasms and to provide sedation before medical procedures. This medication works by calming the brain and nerves. Diazepam belongs to a class of drugs known as benzodiazepines.

Serepax - a benzodiazepine used to treat anxiety, as well as tremor, confusion or anxiety associated with alcohol withdrawl.

Sinequan – an anti-depressant, it also has mild to moderate benefit for sleeping problems.

1623638514385.png

Dell43

Debutant
Dec 31, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Charlie Barnes would often post about Alan attending SANFL games and as we know BVE was also a regular attendee. Back in 1979 crowds ranged between 3,000 & 20,000 depending on the clubs playing. There has been suggestions BVE knew Alan from his coke delivery job however wondering if there was further interaction between them at footy games?

Hendrix27

Debutant
Nov 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Charlie Barnes would often post about Alan attending SANFL games and as we know BVE was also a regular attendee. Back in 1979 crowds ranged between 3,000 & 20,000 depending on the clubs playing. There has been suggestions BVE knew Alan from his coke delivery job however wondering if there was further interaction between them at footy games?
interesting question

Hendrix27

Debutant
Nov 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Most were runaways, often due to sexual/physical/emotional abuse. Hitch-hiking was the currency at the time due to their desperation to escape with no other options. Some were even abused on the way. Subsequently, they fell into the exact situations from which they were escaping, because it was familiar ground.

They ended up finding shelter and creature comforts for free. There were plenty of creeps in Adelaide willing to provide it all; plenty of apprentice BVE's out there in the early to mid 70s.

Social Workers were inadequate and well out of their depth for a multitude of reasons. No government cars, no training, no internet, no mobiles, no time to write notes, no protection, no access to histories, no support...the list goes on. Most of all; no knowledge, training or understanding whatsover of minority groups at the time and the role some of them played in the seedier side of Adelaide.

It's no wonder the sordidity of BVE and Co survived and thrived so easily then.

Para-Social Workers, such as church youth volunteers, were often more successful as we blended, befriended and did not judge. We had no connections with the law and were privy to many of their secrets. We were "cool" to them.

But the bottom line; we still had no training, no rescue options and no funding. We had to go to the library to find out what transgender, transsexual and homosexual meant, so we could attempt to get a handle on things we were being told. Such was our naivety in those days. There were no doctors we knew of to refer guys with sore and infected bums, so they suffered in silence and went back for more food and shelter.
well said

Remove this Banner Ad

Back