Unsolved The Family Murders

Remove this Banner Ad

The Who's Who List

Out of Sight - The Untold Story of Adelaide's Gay Hate Murders

The Cases of Forensic Pathologist Colin Manock

Use this thread below to lodge media, maps and photos for quick reference.

Last edited:

squawk

Debutant
Sep 22, 2008
Coopers Stadium
Other Teams
Norwood Football Club
Charlie Barnes would often post about Alan attending SANFL games and as we know BVE was also a regular attendee. Back in 1979 crowds ranged between 3,000 & 20,000 depending on the clubs playing. There has been suggestions BVE knew Alan from his coke delivery job however wondering if there was further interaction between them at footy games?
Highly unlikely. BVE was a Norwood supporter. Alan went to whatever games he thought the best girls would be at. In those days footy was quite different to SANFL games of today.

Punk Rooster 16

Debutant
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
North Adelaide (SANFL)
Highly unlikely. BVE was a Norwood supporter. Alan went to whatever games he thought the best girls would be at. In those days footy was quite different to SANFL games of today.
A mate of mine had AB attending Norh games - he had become somewhat friendly with him.

Dell43

Debutant
Dec 31, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
The only difference between the SANFL today and back in 1979 was the crowds, I was there every week up until 1993. If Alan was attending games based on the number of females attending he would be at Norwood, Sturt, Port and Glenelg games. Young kids congregated in area’s like cheer squads, If an individual went to the footy to meet young males that’s where they would be.

I’m aware of the reference he was a Norwood supporter but based on what we know he may have attended the footy for reasons other than supporting his team.

squawk

Debutant
Sep 22, 2008
Coopers Stadium
Other Teams
Norwood Football Club
The only difference between the SANFL today and back in 1979 was the crowds, I was there every week up until 1993. If Alan was attending games based on the number of females attending he would be at Norwood, Sturt, Port and Glenelg games. Young kids congregated in area’s like cheer squads, If an individual went to the footy to meet young males that’s where they would be.

I’m aware of the reference he was a Norwood supporter but based on what we know he may have attended the footy for reasons other than supporting his team.
All of that is possible and cant be ruled out.
However, after being a part of Norwood for over 40 years myself I've never heard anyone speak of BVE being at games or 'around and about' games, including cheersquads. Even his link to being at Adelaide Oval on the day the girls disappeared there, had him sitting in a seat with other people IIRC.

My impression is that he wasn't that dedicated a supporter - he was too busy chasing his own needs that weren't football-related.

squawk

Debutant
Sep 22, 2008
Coopers Stadium
Other Teams
Norwood Football Club
The football game scenario is also inconsistent with his MO, in my humble opinion. He liked to operate after dark, in company, and away from large crowds or public places. I know he did target people in pubs and clubs but in that case, he often did so with the help of other lures, just as he did with hitch hikers, and he used stupifying drugs as well. We know with the Kelvin abduction there was more than one person and in that case, Kelvin was literally abducted off the street and that brought a lot of yelling and screaming. His sordid scene and MO was quite inconsistent with the football scene.

People "knew" who was involved?

I remember being a kid at a party held at the house of the owners of La Trattoria. The owners were quite wealthy given the two brothels above the restaurant, primarily servicing the police. With the restaurant not only being a very successful venture but I dare say the brothels and the marijuana business was cleaned through the cash flow business.

Kids were running around everywhere, when all of a sudden panic, as "guests arrived". We were grabbed and pulled upstairs out of sight, as our parents didn't want us to be seen by the "guests". The "guests" stayed until late, so we fell asleep upstairs with some of the mums keeping us safe. The next day mum explained that the "guests" were suspected members of the family.

I don't know who knew or suspected the "family" that night. The owners of LaTrattoria knew all the cops and thus would have known the "station talk" and they knew all the wealthy identities around Adelaide, given they were in the scene.

There was also a head of police, who later joined the NCA, at the party. In his own words he felt a number of police were close to solving the case, including himself, but he and everyone else was removed from the task by the police commissioner every time they were close. This lead to suspicions.

I know one rapist for certain, who provided child welfare and worked in kids TV. He was lured to Perth by one of his victims, after the victims brother committed suicide. The victim told me what his intentions were after introducing me to the rapist. I fortunately managed to talk him out of it, but I must admit I was surprised the rapist lived.

I know their were judges and lawyers who lived in North Adelaide but not their identities (represented by the victim and separately the owners of LaTratt). I know their was an architect in Unley area closer to Greenhill Road but he was murdered. There was also discussion of a surgeon but no one confirmed his identity.

jason_recliner

Club Legend
Dec 9, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
I remember being a kid at a party held at the house of the owners of La Trattoria. The owners were quite wealthy given the two brothels above the restaurant, primarily servicing the police. With the restaurant not only being a very successful venture but I dare say the brothels and the marijuana business was cleaned through the cash flow business.

Kids were running around everywhere, when all of a sudden panic, as "guests arrived". We were grabbed and pulled upstairs out of sight, as our parents didn't want us to be seen by the "guests". The "guests" stayed until late, so we fell asleep upstairs with some of the mums keeping us safe. The next day mum explained that the "guests" were suspected members of the family.

I don't know who knew or suspected the "family" that night. The owners of LaTrattoria knew all the cops and thus would have known the "station talk" and they knew all the wealthy identities around Adelaide, given they were in the scene.

There was also a head of police, who later joined the NCA, at the party. In his own words he felt a number of police were close to solving the case, including himself, but he and everyone else was removed from the task by the police commissioner every time they were close. This lead to suspicions.

I know one rapist for certain, who provided child welfare and worked in kids TV. He was lured to Perth by one of his victims, after the victims brother committed suicide. The victim told me what his intentions were after introducing me to the rapist. I fortunately managed to talk him out of it, but I must admit I was surprised the rapist lived.

I know their were judges and lawyers who lived in North Adelaide but not their identities (represented by the victim and separately the owners of LaTratt). I know their was an architect in Unley area closer to Greenhill Road but he was murdered. There was also discussion of a surgeon but no one confirmed his identity.

The Parisis? They are some pretty big claims. If you have any names at all (e.g. rapist, judges, lawyers) I think you should report them to the police, even if you would rather do it anomynously. I don't believe anybody is being protected and if anything you say is even partly corroborated there will be an investigation. Pretty much everybody in SA wants to know the full extent of this story, if it does in fact extend beyond what is already known.

squawk

Debutant
Sep 22, 2008
Coopers Stadium
Other Teams
Norwood Football Club

When you say you were told about 'the family' - are you saying this was a reference to the BVE Family, or more of an Italian/Calabrian Mafia type family?
And wasn't it a bit strange for that policeman to be at this party when these 'family' people all rolled in as well?
As for the last bit about the architect - is this a reference to Derrance Stevenson who had an architecturally designed house on Greenhill Rd - or a separate person altogether?

squawk

Debutant
Sep 22, 2008
Coopers Stadium
Other Teams
Norwood Football Club
The Gay Scene of the 70s and early 80s

The Mars Bar
– opened Dec 1976, closed Easter Sunday, 1985. Located at 120 Gouger St, Adelaide. See Mars Bar | Adelaidia (history.sa.gov.au) and The Mars Bar - Adelaide (weekendnotes.com)

1623732051915.png

squawk

Debutant
Sep 22, 2008
Coopers Stadium
Other Teams
Norwood Football Club

The Buckingham Arms Hotel. 1 Walkerville Tce, Gilberton.
Closed at 10pm and people would then gravitate to AC/DC.

1623732289066.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

squawk

Debutant
Sep 22, 2008
Coopers Stadium
Other Teams
Norwood Football Club

A.C/D.C Club – adjacent 99 Currie Street, Adelaide.
It was 40 cents to get in, there was no alcohol served, there was a bar serving soft drinks near the entrance & there were 3 booths on the left & right which you passed on the way to the dance floor at the end of the room. On the dance floor was a juke box. Songs were .10 cents each. The Nutbush dance (to Nutbush City Limits) was invented at AC/DC in 1973/1974. See http://www.samemory.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?c=6874&mode=singleImage&saMe....

1623732771143.png

DropBearess

Premium Platinum
Apr 3, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
All of that is possible and cant be ruled out.
However, after being a part of Norwood for over 40 years myself I've never heard anyone speak of BVE being at games or 'around and about' games, including cheersquads. Even his link to being at Adelaide Oval on the day the girls disappeared there, had him sitting in a seat with other people IIRC.

My impression is that he wasn't that dedicated a supporter - he was too busy chasing his own needs that weren't football-related.

I'd have to agree. I've also been involved at Norwood for 40+ years, particularly from 1966 onwards when BVE and/or friends were active.
If he attended games with ulterior motives, then behind the goals on terrace or grandstand would've been the best location. There were plenty of young guys in the cheer squad bending over regularly to pick up heavy "floggers". I can't ever recall seeing BVE or anyone similar there. In those days, cheer squads would always turn to the crowds to rev them up. We knew every face behind the goals at the Parade for many years.

I've set myself the task of locating old crowd photos from that era, so l can try a "Where's Wally". It might take a while. What time-frame do people think he might have been likely to have been there?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back