Unsolved The Family Murders

The Who's Who List

Out of Sight - The Untold Story of Adelaide's Gay Hate Murders

The Cases of Forensic Pathologist Colin Manock

Use this thread below to lodge media, maps and photos for quick reference.

Last edited:

Bits

Team Captain
Oct 31, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'd have to agree. I've also been involved at Norwood for 40+ years, particularly from 1966 onwards when BVE and/or friends were active.
If he attended games with ulterior motives, then behind the goals on terrace or grandstand would've been the best location. There were plenty of young guys in the cheer squad bending over regularly to pick up heavy "floggers". I can't ever recall seeing BVE or anyone similar there. In those days, cheer squads would always turn to the crowds to rev them up. We knew every face behind the goals at the Parade for many years.

I've set myself the task of locating old crowd photos from that era, so l can try a "Where's Wally". It might take a while. What time-frame do people think he might have been likely to have been there?

Well if he was at the game when the girls were taken, them mid-late 70’s?

I used to hang out behind the cheer squad at Norwood Oval with my friends in the late 70’s / early 80’s in my early teen years. Then when we were a bit older, we would go to Sam’s Disco. We were all female so wouldn’t have been targets.

Dell43

Debutant
Dec 31, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'd have to agree. I've also been involved at Norwood for 40+ years, particularly from 1966 onwards when BVE and/or friends were active.
If he attended games with ulterior motives, then behind the goals on terrace or grandstand would've been the best location. There were plenty of young guys in the cheer squad bending over regularly to pick up heavy "floggers". I can't ever recall seeing BVE or anyone similar there. In those days, cheer squads would always turn to the crowds to rev them up. We knew every face behind the goals at the Parade for many years.

I've set myself the task of locating old crowd photos from that era, so l can try a "Where's Wally". It might take a while. What time-frame do people think he might have been likely to have been there?

I used to hang out behind the cheer squad at Norwood Oval with my friends in the late 70’s / early 80’s in my early teen years. Then when we were a bit older, we would go to Sam’s Disco. We were all female so wouldn’t have been targets.
Dropbearess & Squawk
It seems we share a common interest, as I'm also a Norwood supporter and never missed a home game from late 70's onwards. I was also in the cheer squad so we most probably crossed paths, 1984 Grand Final was the best day of my life! Good idea about reviewing old Football Budgets, I have heaps in my shed.

squawk

Debutant
Sep 22, 2008
Coopers Stadium
Other Teams
Norwood Football Club
Dropbearess - I’d say early 70s to early 80s.
He had a cousin play at Norwood - Greg I think - who won a flag at u19s but he never played league.
There aren’t a heap of crowd shots that I’ve seen that were taken behind the goals over those years. It’s quite a task you could be setting yourself with limited likelihood of success! Don’t forget he dyed his hair jet black and is/was about 6ft 5!

Last edited:

DropBearess

Premium Platinum
Apr 3, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Dropbearess - I’d say early 70s to early 80s.
He had a cousin play at Norwood - Greg I think - who won a flag at u19s but he never played league.
There aren’t a heap of crowd shots that I’ve seen that were taken behind the goals over those years. It’s quite a task you could be setting yourself with limited likelihood of success! Don’t forget he died his hair jet black and is/was about 6ft 5!

Yep, l remembered the height factor; would be quite a stand out, seated or unseated. Also remembered the hair variations.

Time to consult scrap books, old photos and historians re BVE cousin.

It's a small world Bits, squawk, Dell43!

1984. Oh what a year!

All aside, we probably moved in the same circles and understand Adelaide and it's minority groups at the time more than most. We recognise places, situations, possibilities, scenarios, locations etc. Getting caught up in it all could've been oh so easy for anyone vulnerable or adventurous.

squawk

Debutant
Sep 22, 2008
Coopers Stadium
Other Teams
Norwood Football Club
Here is a team photo with Greg in it. It’s the only one I’ve seen. He is in the second back row, second in from the right, with orangey hair.
I’m in close contact with many NFC people including past and present members of the history committee there. Similarly I know a lot of SANFL historians. There isn’t much around at all about Greg. I’ve only ever heard that it had a big effect on him at the time.

Attachments

• C71C47C6-E1EA-44DB-817E-6E983A8792CC.png
    C71C47C6-E1EA-44DB-817E-6E983A8792CC.png
    229.5 KB · Views: 144
Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox

Sams - now thats a blast from the past

Booo

<<sturt
We lived two blocks from Unley Oval and I used to help Jack Oatey clean up the footys after training when I was kid. After his last game I was in the Sturt club and when he walked in he shook my hand and said nice to see you Gough in front of all of my mates, got mad cred at Unley Primary for that. You'd remember Ken Whelan too, he was my year 5 teacher, he loved the Beatles and used to smoke cheroots in the classroom.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
We lived two blocks from Unley Oval and I used to help Jack Oatey clean up the footys after training when I was kid. After his last game I was in the Sturt club and when he walked in he shook my hand and said nice to see you Gough in front of all of my mates, got mad cred at Unley Primary for that. You'd remember Ken Whelan too, he was my year 5 teacher, he loved the Beatles and used to smoke cheroots in the classroom.
Haha great stuff

If you have Twitter check out 1977 SANFL season rewind - a real time look at 1977 season

Dell43

Debutant
Dec 31, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood

squawk

Debutant
Sep 22, 2008
Coopers Stadium
Other Teams
Norwood Football Club
GreyCrow Gough my grandparents were heavily involved with Sturt. Family business has sponsored them for decades. My Grandfather was the patron of the Sturt ‘B’ team from 1948-1964! He took photos at Jack Oatey’s testimonial and I’ve just provided copies to the Sturt historian - they didn’t have anything from that day! Also gave them photos of the old grandstand the day before it was demolished - there was a sly party down there to say goodbye!

Last edited:
GreyCrow Gough my grandparents were heavily involved with Sturt. Family business has sponsored them for decades. My Grandfather was the patron of the Sturt ‘B’ team from 1948-1964! He took photos at Jack Oates’s testimonial and I’ve just provided copies to the Sturt historian - they didn’t have anything from that day! Also have them photos of the old grandstand the day before it was demolished - there was a sly party down there to say goodbye!
John Lysikatos?

Mark W76

Rookie
Jun 17, 2021
Elizabeth Vale
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood Football Club
Hi there! Most fascinating discussion on von Einem. I've been following for a long time, now have decided to join. One question: Does anyone know where Neil Muir is buried?

bth18

Debutant
Oct 22, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Lets talk about the other main suspect in the case outside of Mr R - and the only other named main suspect - Dr Stephen George Woodards or SGW

what do we know about him POST the murders and abuse of 100's of boys that he is suspected to be involved in.

He lived at 20 Second Ave, St Peters between 1979 and 1982, and is said was in a relationship with "the high profile lawyer" - Richard Dutton brown.

We can presume soon after BVE was sentenced he left Adelaide - a big presumption, but all of the rest (minus old mate R) left.

According to Trevor Peters Diaries he bought units in "Fremantle" in WA - after a bit of digging around some records I confirm this is true however it was in Perth, Wembley more accurately. He owned a few, well a lot actually - like 80, a whole block of units.

his movements get a little hazy around here - according to the diaries "xxxx said that Woodards had bought flats in Fremantle during the America’s Cup yacht race there and had then sold them and moved to Europe and disappeared" so you would presume '83ish when Australia won the Cup.

if sales records are accurate he sold the units between 92-94 - for a tidy $4m, where he goes after this is hard to determine, Australian doctors could practice in the UK and Ireland in the 90's due to reciprocal recognition of qualifications, and presuming he was monolingual like many Australians one of these would make sense.

but he returned to Australia sometime likely in the early 00's - he worked as a GP and as potentially a physio at a medical practice in Maroubra.

Using property records we can see that he purchased a flat in Bondi in 1987, and can be quite sure this is where he lived as its been cross checked to voting enrolment records till at least 2009, I believe until 2012.

in 2011 he is arrested and accused of a historical sex crime against a minor and the suppression order on his name is removed -he is eventually acquitted of this charge as there was no proof he knew the boy was underaged when the alleged crime occurred - similar to Pru's case in the 80's with 'George'.

in 2012 he sold his Bondi flat after I assume lost his employment. he's no longer a registered doctor

where is he today?! - good question, he's done an excellent job of 'disappearing' - a phone number that was found listed to him, was actually a business in the Riverland with no association.

but the trail is not completely cold.. hopefully this can be expanded on shortly

Last edited:

bth18

Debutant
Oct 22, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The Gay Scene of the 70s and early 80s

A.C/D.C Club – adjacent 99 Currie Street, Adelaide.
It was 40 cents to get in, there was no alcohol served, there was a bar serving soft drinks near the entrance & there were 3 booths on the left & right which you passed on the way to the dance floor at the end of the room. On the dance floor was a juke box. Songs were .10 cents each. The Nutbush dance (to Nutbush City Limits) was invented at AC/DC in 1973/1974. See http://www.samemory.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?c=6874&mode=singleImage&saMe....

View attachment 1155821

I have been told of a story involving the ACDC club where Brian Gant was there one night and Lou Reed was in attendance and a fight broke out between drag queens and Lou legged it

Back