Unsolved The Family Murders

Remove this Banner Ad

The Who's Who List

Out of Sight - The Untold Story of Adelaide's Gay Hate Murders

The Cases of Forensic Pathologist Colin Manock

Use this thread below to lodge media, maps and photos for quick reference.

Last edited:

Then we get to the old mortuary at Calvary Hospital. The Dissected authors favour this location for the source of the pine needles. Whilst I haven’t been able to ascertain the year this mortuary was decommissioned, it doesn’t look like a good prospect to me either.

A picture of the old mortuary is shown here -

If you look at the attached pictures, you will see that today there is only one pine tree there. It is near the Chapel Gate (for pedestrians) on Barnard Street, which is on the north perimeter of the hospital. The tree is between the fence and the Chapel – almost landlocked. The old mortuary is situated adjacent the western entrance to the rear car park. This is about 100m from the pine tree.

08FE18D8-5791-48A4-B23E-74523D781E3B.jpeg

The Dissected authors discuss Millhouse’s car being found in Barnard Street a few days later. They say it was seen at his house for a day or two after Muir disappeared, and then turned up “out of fuel” about 3-4 days later in Barnard St. It was parked outside Prof Jepson’s house and opposite Gary Weir Sampson’s house (the Derrance Stevenson case witness who worked next door to Stevenson). If this is the case, why would Millhouse move his car close to where they purportedly used the Calvary mortuary? Also, the location of the mortuary is in a ‘high traffic’ place.

One of these attachments is marked up – M is for mortuary, J is for Jepson’s house (I think), W for Weir’s house (I’m guessing) and P is for pine tree.

3558A859-D623-46C0-8AFE-F130F6C49840.jpeg

CA7FE0E6-AD81-462A-9679-685C2B6DAF40.jpeg

Finally, I looked for pine needles. I found only two examples on the Barnard St footpath. They are not needles as you might think. Rather, they are very small leaves bound together. See photo attached. I really cant see that when I only found two examples within 10m of the tree, that they would easily find themselves 100m away adjacent the mortuary.

44953EA0-C9C7-4FA4-A2D8-3508211DAF88.jpeg

So none of this adds up to me either.

Last edited:
Next stop – West Tce cemetery.

As per my previous post showing the old map, I arrived to find that there are indeed a plethora of pine trees within 50m of the old mortuary at West Tce cemetery. What’s more, the trees (Aleppo pines and one other species) drop needles and cones prodigiously. And they are genuine pine needles.

The site of the old mortuary had its own gate for entry and exit. And to top it off, it was decommissioned that about the time of Neil’s murder. And one more thing. It was directly opposite the Elephant and Castle Hotel. This hotel was bought and owned by Abe Saffron. Saffron also owned Patches, the Mars Bar and the Australia Hotel. He was a prolific importer of pr0n and made his financial way in sex and vice. He was known to blackmail people by filming them in compromising situations. He was also allegedly connected to Lionel Murphy, who is alleged to have visited Derrance Stevenson’s house on the night of his murder.

This picture shows the site of the old mortuary. The pine trees are behind the photographer, about 50m away.

The other pic shows an example of the needles on these trees.

B8CDDFFF-692D-408E-B2EE-2441BEF11CE2.jpeg

131A75AF-FCF9-4F3D-9673-F1BD1F679E3F.jpeg

Can’t see how he has a case. If he wrote to the paper using his own name, and this was just quoted in the book, where is the problem? I thought Debi was very careful not to link the letter writer with “the businessman”.

Glad I bought the ebook & downloaded it!

View attachment 1226016

Hi, just thought i'd let you know i just bought a paperback of it from Kimberley Bookshop in Western Australia. $34.99

Next stop – West Tce cemetery.

As per my previous post showing the old map, I arrived to find that there are indeed a plethora of pine trees within 50m of the old mortuary at West Tce cemetery. What’s more, the trees (Aleppo pines and one other species) drop needles and cones prodigiously. And they are genuine pine needles.

The site of the old mortuary had its own gate for entry and exit. And to top it off, it was decommissioned that about the time of Neil’s murder. And one more thing. It was directly opposite the Elephant and Castle Hotel. This hotel was bought and owned by Abe Saffron. Saffron also owned Patches, the Mars Bar and the Australia Hotel. He was a prolific importer of pr0n and made his financial way in sex and vice. He was known to blackmail people by filming them in compromising situations. He was also allegedly connected to Lionel Murphy, who is alleged to have visited Derrance Stevenson’s house on the night of his murder.

This picture shows the site of the old mortuary. The pine trees are behind the photographer, about 50m away.

The other pic shows an example of the needles on these trees.

View attachment 1246772

View attachment 1246773

Awesome work Squawk!

I tell ya what, if you haven't hit the nail on the head with this post then you sure could be excused for it as thats a hell of a lot of coincidence.

Is there a way we could have all of the photos in this thread linked to one area?
im not sure how this would be done, but would be great to see images, without scrolling through every page (or maybe there’s a way to do this I don’t know about?)

Is there a way we could have all of the photos in this thread linked to one area?
im not sure how this would be done, but would be great to see images, without scrolling through every page (or maybe there’s a way to do this I don’t know about?)

Yes, I've been devising something over the last week albeit rather loosely. A 'no discussion' media thread I think might work for now.

Anyone recognise either of these two, seen leaving one of BVE’s trials?

I have recently found an old photo of mine which identifies the guy in the dreadful cardi. Hmmm.... Curious to know the links and how he came to be at BVE trial. Is there a date for this pic?

I have recently found an old photo of mine which identifies the guy in the dreadful cardi. Hmmm.... Curious to know the links and how he came to be at BVE trial. Is there a date for this pic?

This is the source. It is on page 3.

According to this it is an undated photo but it looks like it was uploaded in 1983.

A photo of the mortuary at West Tce cemetery. Apparently was demolished in 70’s. anyone know when?

Attachments

• B5C04CEB-614A-418A-A6B1-9D1A3D1A0A49.jpeg
    B5C04CEB-614A-418A-A6B1-9D1A3D1A0A49.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 124

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've read Young Blood and I believe some guys came forward in court with their experiences.
I was picked up by Millhouse in Hindley Street way back in 1970 as a 20 year old. He bought me beers and took me to the Trocadero and Paprika nightclubs. We sat with some of his friends, the only one I remember was an actor from Adelaide Theatre Company. Millhouse was doctoring in Kimba at the time and wanted me to come with him down to his weekend rental at West Beach. I took my own car since it was on the way home. He wanted to take a Polaroid of my chest but had run out of film. He said that he and his friends picked up hitchhiking youths by waving money at them, but he wasn't going to offer money to me. When I asked him what he wanted to do he mentioned Myra Breckinridge and said "Truss you up like a turkey and * you up the arse." The first part sounded especially unpleasant and I left straight away.

So, it had started a long time before Muir's demise. My experience is expressed more stylishly in a recent memoir... now for sale in a shop in Hindley Street.

I've read Young Blood and I believe some guys came forward in court with their experiences.
I was picked up by Millhouse in Hindley Street way back in 1970 as a 20 year old. He bought me beers and took me to the Trocadero and Paprika nightclubs. We sat with some of his friends, the only one I remember was an actor from Adelaide Theatre Company. Millhouse was doctoring in Kimba at the time and wanted me to come with him down to his weekend rental at West Beach. I took my own car since it was on the way home. He wanted to take a Polaroid of my chest but had run out of film. He said that he and his friends picked up hitchhiking youths by waving money at them, but he wasn't going to offer money to me. When I asked him what he wanted to do he mentioned Myra Breckinridge and said "Truss you up like a turkey and fu** you up the arse." The first part sounded especially unpleasant and I left straight away.

So, it had started a long time before Muir's demise. My experience is expressed more stylishly in a recent memoir... now for sale in a shop in Hindley Street.

Sorry, sent before l'd started replying. I was going to comment that l've posted some earlier stuff about my experiences in 1970. This caper was definitely happening as early as 1969 in Adelaide, no doubt by the same perpetrators. I have no doubt whatsoever.

I was picked up by Millhouse in Hindley Street way back in 1970 as a 20 year old. He bought me beers and took me to the Trocadero and Paprika nightclubs. We sat with some of his friends, the only one I remember was an actor from Adelaide Theatre Company. Millhouse was doctoring in Kimba at the time and wanted me to come with him down to his weekend rental at West Beach. I took my own car since it was on the way home. He wanted to take a Polaroid of my chest but had run out of film. He said that he and his friends picked up hitchhiking youths by waving money at them, but he wasn't going to offer money to me. When I asked him what he wanted to do he mentioned Myra Breckinridge and said "Truss you up like a turkey and fu** you up the arse." The first part sounded especially unpleasant and I left straight away.

plug the book ;)

The reference to Myra Breckinridge by Millhouse seems significant. It was published in 1968 amid controversy, three years after Lady Chatterly's Lover was finally un-banned, and would have been a big deal for gays. The key scene is where the sexually ambiguous main character vigorously rapes the young hetero Rusty with a strap-on while he is tied down over a table. This is symbolic revenge against the straight community persecuting them and the straight young male that they never became. Think about the pressure on homosexuals growing up in fifties and sixties Australia. The book's publication may have been a trigger to let loose and progress to the actual murders that surfaced more than a decade later. Legalisation and Gay Lib came along, but too late for these guys. Just a theory and not an excuse or a solution.

Could have been one of those tshirts that had screen printing on them

I had a Double Blues one which I thought was cool for the time - like a photo print

Bumping this because I just found my old class photo from 1978 with these two Sturt & Norwood fans. Very blurry sorry because crappy photo to start with, and then cropping & enlarging.

996FDC16-B555-4EC7-BD8C-AE26C738218C.jpeg

So who does he reckon dobbed him in? The businessman by the sounds of it.

But clearly whatever info he gave police didn't amount to much. All the others who are still alive are still walking free

Remove this Banner Ad

Back