Unsolved The Family Murders

Remove this Banner Ad

The Who's Who List

Out of Sight - The Untold Story of Adelaide's Gay Hate Murders

The Cases of Forensic Pathologist Colin Manock

Use this thread below to lodge media, maps and photos for quick reference.

Last edited:

Was the "something", something to do with the dog collar worn by Richard Kelvin?

Yes, according to DM a "yes" slipped out of his mouth when she asked him if he had seen Richard with the dog collar...

But I think it's important to remember that whatever we know about this interview reflects Debi's personal recollection of it. Sometimes during her retelling of the interview in the book I wondered if BVE really talked/reacted like that or if it just seemed that way to her... " BVE suddenly having a major tantrum or turning into a black psychopath" sounds kind of overly dramatic and not very realistic to me. And what did she expect him to do anyway? Spill his guts to a person he's never met before?

Yes, according to DM a "yes" slipped out of his mouth when she asked him if he had seen Richard with the dog collar...

But I think it's important to remember that whatever we know about this interview reflects Debi's personal recollection of it. Sometimes during her retelling of the interview in the book I wondered if BVE really talked/reacted like that or if it just seemed that way to her... " BVE suddenly having a major tantrum or turning into a black psychopath" sounds kind of overly dramatic and not very realistic to me. And what did she expect him to do anyway? Spill his guts to a person he's never met before?
I agree, as soon as she compared herself to Clarice Starling going in to meet with Hannibal Lecter she was definitely putting some spin on it. BVE has no history of violence whilst incarcerated, in fact he has made close friends with several of the guards, cooking them scones for morning tea in the prison kitchen, can you imagine eating his scones! :oops:

Yep, relieved too that I pre-ordered the audiobook and paperback and have them both before it got pulled!

I'm halfway into chapter 12, so far the biggest eye opener for me was Alan Barnes' brother Mike saying while learning to drive a truck he saw Alan in a white Datsun along with a chubby bloke with a "tall man with a strong jaw and glasses" standing next to the car looking over a verge along the Eastern Freeway on the Friday night before Alan's body was found. I have never heard that story before.

An amazing read so far!

is there any chance you can share the audio book somehow?? I was desperate to buy this book and have a read but they pulled it the day before i was able to go down and get one :(

where to mate?

I just bought it on Dymocks yesterday but it didnt come up on my Dymocks app.

Anywhere else i could get it?
I got my ebook through ibooks/ Apple on my iPad. There’s a kindle edition you can buy at Amazon for $14.99. And apparently you can get a free audio book if you sign up for a trial with Kobo. Just do a google search.

1F695B3D-8034-4B2A-9206-F1D0EEC9626D.png

I'm 30% into Banquet atm. Lots of editing errors so far and nothing new. Lots of padding, assumptions and unsubstantiated info. Definitely not a book l'd stay up all night for or take camping.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm 30% into Banquet atm. Lots of editing errors so far and nothing new. Lots of padding, assumptions and unsubstantiated info. Definitely not a book l'd stay up all night for or take camping.

It’s a story about Debi’s Adventures in Murderland with a bit of (sometimes incorrect) info about the Family murders thrown in. Total vanity project for her.

Also, what is it with books about the Family and lack of editing? Roles & McInerney was very sloppy. Marshall has all sorts of easily verifiable things wrong such as dates, names of locations. Do editors & proof readers and fact checkers not exist anymore?

It’s a story about Debi’s Adventures in Murderland with a bit of (sometimes incorrect) info about the Family murders thrown in. Total vanity project for her.

Also, what is it with books about the Family and lack of editing? Roles & McInerney was very sloppy. Marshall has all sorts of easily verifiable things wrong such as dates, names of locations. Do editors & proof readers and fact checkers not exist anymore?

Probably a mix of lack of critiquing and just wanting to put something out (regardless of its quality) knowing that those of us that are into this stuff would gobble it up when we hear its a book on the Family Murders "with new info and unheard interviews"

which basically sums me up.

They'll make a mint off of people who just love true crime

I sent a list of major (obvious) errors to her. if someone with the new version wants to check if any corrections were made, I can post.

I sent a list of major (obvious) errors to her. if someone with the new version wants to check if any corrections were made, I can post.

I have the original version, if anyone with the new version wants to compare. Maybe we can determine what the first version got pulled for and see if there's more to it than the businessman's name.

There's a jailhouse boyfriend of VE, who has started a Facebook page,. That pretty well says VE is an angel set up for everything.. He references this site.

I don't know what he calls it these days, the last time i looked about a year ago, he made the page private. Tale of the tabloids or something.

It clearly was in love with VE. Completely innocent apparantly, and linked here.

Yep I know the one! - didn’t realise he was a jailhouse bf though!

He was one of his hook ups before VE got jailed and then they reunited in port Augusta ( greenbush)

Thinks he is shaman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back