Unsolved The Family Murders

Remove this Banner Ad

The Who's Who List

Out of Sight - The Untold Story of Adelaide's Gay Hate Murders

The Cases of Forensic Pathologist Colin Manock

Use this thread below to lodge media, maps and photos for quick reference.

Last edited:

I sent a list of major (obvious) errors to her. if someone with the new version wants to check if any corrections were made, I can post.

Matew, if you wanna list them somewhere (here or DM) ill scan my version of the book n see if we have the same thing!

I've finally waded through 'Banquet' as an E book. l had to make myself finish it, so l could say l had.

Absolutely nothing new therein, so don't waste your time and money. The Businessman is named once in my copy. We all knew anyway.

There are numerous pages of padding and DM clearly doesn't know Adelaide. There are lots of errors which l understand have been pointed out to her, yet remain. The usual tone of Adelaide being the bizarre murder capital pervades when all else fails. How boring.

I can also verify DM has published info which she claims are from her own sources, but the sources are from this site. We need to be careful about PMs. We can still be naive at times despite our investigative powers! Several people she has mentioned have not communicated with her in any way and never will.

since we had some success with Viviane,

does anyone know or familiar with the names Kerry Warburton or SM?

Last edited:
Friends of the Alberton gang, Kerry lived there also at some point, potentially acted as lures.

don’t know much about margarita - onlytheir name mentioned

The name Margarita rings a bell but without any extra clues I can't think of any more. I remember a Margot quite well.

It's sometimes hard with drag queens/sex changers as well.

- At home - to their friends they could be known by one name.
- On stage they might have another name. Sometimes two if they worked on the straight AND gay scenes (some sex change ladies worked as strippers and some drag queens hosted strip shows). And more if they changed their stage names - sometimes having come from other states.
- They could also have nicknames commonly used by close friends.

Thankfully I preordered the book and got it on my kindle now...is there a way to share it without the need of a flash drive? The book certainly gives some insights into BVE's background. (Side note: Apparently he and Harry Phipps knew each other!)
I contacted both the State Archives and also the Supreme Court. I was told a judge has to give his approval first, before the files can be retrieved from the archive. Since I'm not from SA and not able to visit the Research Centre in person, I asked the court if they could provide the documents online. They said they can copy and email them to me - but guess what - the price per page is 8.85 $, so with the entire trial documents containing approx. 10000 pages, hardly anyone can afford that... Apparently Debi wasn't able to obtain them for the same reasons.

Well, I feel that I've reached some kind of a "dead end" with my own research at the moment.. As I want to rely on facts as much as possible without drifting off into speculation too fast, my big goal was to get access to those court documents. But now without them and little chance that either BVE or DR or DK or one of the others involved who are still alive will talk, getting facts is tough.
So, at the moment I'm focusing mostly on piecing together all the names and addresses (+ finding out JBL's full name as I don't know it yet).
I have my own views and theories based on everything I've read, but feel like I and a lot of others have almost reached the point where researching is used to capacity and finally statements from those involved are needed to gain new insights.
What are you currently focusing on, squawk?

Who is JBL?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The name Marguerita doesn't ring a bell. But l've been trying for years to remember a very similar name. This drag queen was active and doing strange things in Adelaide from 1971 for at least 10 years. She lived near St. Peters, was 5'10ish, quite heavily built, dark curly hair and quite pretty. Used to wear beautiful kaftan-type dresses and hung about at the Buckingham Arms.
She was involved with recruiting young males to live rent-free with her and her peculiar friends.

l've been trying for years to remember a very similar name. This drag queen was active and doing strange things in Adelaide from 1971 for at least 10 years. She lived near St. Peters, was 5'10ish, quite heavily built, dark curly hair and quite pretty. Used to wear beautiful kaftan-type dresses and hung about at the Buckingham Arms.
She was involved with recruiting young males to live rent-free with her and her peculiar friends.

Monique? She is a close match to your physical description.

The Buck was too early for me and not sure she ever lived with anyone when I visited her house (which I don't think was at St Peters).

She had a colourful Egyptian sarcophagus in her living room.

Right, so who is the second doctor?

The ebook mentions a Doctor Robert who had a clinic/surgery not far from Port Rd where the two pharmacies where BVE used to cash his scripts. Dr Robert issued BVE with over 135 scripts for Mandrax. Dr Robert wasn't a suspect but the eBook suggests maybe he should have been. There's a Dr Robert Koulakis mentioned in TP's diaries but upon searching for this guy, there is no record. It's likely the name was misspelt in the diaries. Anyway, it's not him on the list.
There was a doctor with a similar name to the guy TP mentioned (also of a similar age and location to Mr R). He’s still around. I’m not suggesting anything about him other than the name. If this is old info, I apologise. if it is of interest, who is best to DM it to?

Given the surgery on Muir that closely resembled sex change surgery, it's been speculated that maybe the doctor who performed the operations on the TG's could be involved. Can anyone add anything to that, or debunk it?

I could be wrong but don't believe there were any surgeons in SA who performed sex-change surgery at the time. Most went to the Eastern States or overseas - Thailand being a popular choice. Even with airfares, it was probably much more affordable to have it done in another country than in Melbourne. This was before the days it might have been seen as necessary and would have been treated by health insurance as purely cosmetic surgery.

I could be wrong but don't believe there were any surgeons in SA who performed sex-change surgery at the time. Most went to the Eastern States or overseas - Thailand being a popular choice. Even with airfares, it was probably much more affordable to have it done in another country than in Melbourne. This was before the days it might have been seen as necessary and would have been treated by health insurance as purely cosmetic surgery.

My understanding is that a Dr Jill Need performed gender reassignment surgery at Flinders Hospital back then and that Pru & Megan were clients. Happy to be corrected. I don’t have a source - I think it came from a deep dive on Facebook some time ago.

From wiki:
Jillian Need
(11 March 1944 – 8 March 1997) was an associate professor of gynaecology and obstetrics and Australian and a South Australian cricketer.

In sport, Need was involved as a South Australian representative from 1965 until 1979, and in 1980 coached South Australia to its first senior national championships since the 1950s. She represented South Australia 13 times and led her state against England (68/69) and NZ (72) and played two tests against England in 68/69.

The Jill Need Breast Cancer Clinic was named in her honour by the Flinders Medical Centre in Bedford Park, South Australia, after her death.

The name Marguerita came from the book Dissected:

“Associations with other homosexual people appear to represent the vast majority of friendships that von Einem formed. Throughout the years he had also formed friendships with many transsexuals including Kerry, Pru, Sarah, Megan, Marguerita and Samantha.”

The book isn’t the best with proof reading (eg Lewis Turtur is referred to as Louis, Lewis, Lewy) so this person may not even be called Marguerita.

I guess that's the trouble with this topic. So much half-baked 'information' from unreliable sources coming 40 years after the fact.
True. But a little bit of half-baked "information" may jog someone's memory and help them to recall a relevant piece of knowledge.

With respect to the Family murders, I don't think knowing for certain who did what surgery and to who is going to solve anything.

But you never know what it might lead to, and so as long as it isn't presented as cold, hard fact, no harm done.

Yep I have a screenshot somewhere of Megan saying her and Pru had their operations at the flinders medical centre by Dr Need - and someone replies “I visited Pru not long after at the FMC and she was happy to show off the results!” Or something to that effect - I’ll track it down later

Wow, I haven't posted here for ages but just spent the last 2 nights catching up. Some amazing stuff thanks sleuths! I get too involved in things sometimes and have to remove myself.

Some interesting points:
Real name/Status of Mr. B - Finding out that the name we've had isn't real and that he's alive... wow. (Feel free to PM the real name to me if anyone wants to)
Photos of associates/locations - Absolutely mind boggling that people can be this connected.
Also if anyone can PM the TP diary to me I'd be really appreciative, or not, just asking 😃

Remove this Banner Ad

Back