The Fanatics

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I have heard in the past that they are financed as a semi-official cheer squad (which is why they will tend to pop up in full voice in random locations for a World Group Davis Cup encounter). But I can't recall the sources, so can't confirm whether that is true.

Even so, there will always be a fanatic contingent, which always adds a bit of colour to the open. It doesn't need to be the Oi Oi Oi contingent. We know how some encounters that draw in certain ethnic groups have flared up like soccer encounters. There have also been player-based fanatics, as seen with the likes of Mary Pierce, Lars Burgsmuller and Eugenie Bouchard over the years, among others.

The Darkman

Team Captain
Mar 24, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
I've heard stories of The Fanatics befriending women at Davis Cup ties, then spiking drinks after play in order to obtain 'easy sex'. The first time I came across this behaviour was a female friend who attended a tie in Perth and she related how there was a real wolf pack mentality after play finished for the day.

bullish23

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2002
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
I've heard stories of The Fanatics befriending women at Davis Cup ties, then spiking drinks after play in order to obtain 'easy sex'. The first time I came across this behaviour was a female friend who attended a tie in Perth and she related how there was a real wolf pack mentality after play finished for the day.
Geez I hate the fantatics more then most. Only way I was able to get tixs to 2006 WC was thru their bogan organisation. Crossed paths with them far too many times when living in London. However this is a pretty serious accusation to throw out there.

latest

Aug 27, 2007
brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
Woah

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
This year they haven't been able to get reserved seating in the outside courts after many complained last year.
This is 100% correct and I was one of those that complained to TA and the AO through social media and emails.

I wrote a very aggressive post last year after the fanatics had a big section reserved for them in hi sense arena for I think a Tomic or Groth match. There were massive lines outside of the arena for people to get in, some having waited for 2 hours plus and still in the line. And then you had the fanatic *s stroll in after having not been in hi sense arena all day. I was quite angry that day, I even started yelling out how much bullshit it was that they were being let in like that, while the court announcer was trying to talk.

Aug 27, 2007
brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
This is 100% correct and I was one of those that complained to TA and the AO through social media and emails.

I wrote a very aggressive post last year after the fanatics had a big section reserved for them in hi sense arena for I think a Tomic or Groth match. There were massive lines outside of the arena for people to get in, some having waited for 2 hours plus and still in the line. And then you had the fanatic *caress*s stroll in after having not been in hi sense arena all day. I was quite angry that day, I even started yelling out how much bullshit it was that they were being let in like that, while the court announcer was trying to talk.
The first day when there was an Aussie court 3 it was a 5 set marathon. They got reserved seating that night as well. The lines were massive

I wrote a very aggressive post last year after the fanatics had a big section reserved for them in hi sense arena for I think a Tomic or Groth match. There were massive lines outside of the arena for people to get in, some having waited for 2 hours plus and still in the line. And then you had the fanatic *caress*s stroll in after having not been in hi sense arena all day. I was quite angry that day, I even started yelling out how much bullshit it was that they were being let in like that, while the court announcer was trying to talk.
Yep I was similar.

I missed the first set and a half despite lining up for about a hour and a half yet those stains were ushered court to court.

Hudu Gurusingha

Cancelled
Jul 11, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Penrith Panthers, Houston Astros
Was on the backcourts for second round watching Dimitrov and Trangelliti, was a fantastic atmosphere hearing the Bulgarian and Argentians chanting songs and getting involved in friendly banter with each other. Then moved into Margaret Court for the Jasika and Gavrilova matches only to be driven to near genocide having to put up with the fantatics. They actually dont even watch the tennis or get involved with the match. They sit there with the blokes playing with each others dicks and the girls slutting it up until one of them feels like he needs to get his utensil out and start chanting a pre-programmed, rip-off 'song'. Such absolute wastes of space. Complete phonies. Only do it to be 'cool' and daddy pays for their tickets, not because they are passionate about the sport and their country winning.

Hudu Gurusingha

Cancelled
Jul 11, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Penrith Panthers, Houston Astros
"TOO BIG TOO STRONNNGGGGGG" ARGHHHHH ******* EAT A BAG OF DICKS YOU PRIVATE SCHOOL CIRCLE JERKING KWONS

I used to like the group when they were first around. I wasn't clear on the time if Newcombe, Roach etc got them more involved when the Australian team were playing Davis Cup ties overseas and the popularity grew from there. I liked them then for that reason, as Australian support on foreign land is a good thing.

I'm not sure if they became more commercial, or it was the fact that the main contingent of who they were going to support (at the tennis) was retiring - it started becoming more annoying than fun seeing them try to gee themselves, the crowd and the random Australian player up. I do think they are a by-product of the Rafter, Philippusous (can't spell his bloody name lol) and Hewitt era.

They can't inspire me enough to get behind Kyrgios or Tomic.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
what happened last year was a disgrace when they has seats reserved for them. think that is when the wheel turned against them. they have been a lot less active this year.

dont really think the Aus Open needs them. the atmosphere at Hisense for the last couple of aussie games have been fantastic. they should stop trying to rev up the crowd randomly. let the tennis on the court do that, and build off that.

Back