The Farce that is the free kick differential number

Remove this Banner Ad

Cheatin’ umps at it again last night.

Swallowed whistles for Richmond but the same “play on” call gets a free kick for the Suns,just cheats,plain and simple.
GCS should have beaten us by a far bigger margin. They we’re a better team on the night.
They umpired as badly as we played.
But 10 frees to 1 in the last quarter. Not even a joke. Teams held to different standards of umpiring

GCS should have beaten us by a far bigger margin. They we’re a better team on the night.
They umpired as badly as we played.
But 10 frees to 1 in the last quarter. Not even a joke. Teams held to different standards of umpiring
The last quarter exactly,when both teams were at logger heads,the umps got them over the line.

Oppos who can not see that are even more dopey than I thought they were.

1. Richmond’s free kick differential is a product of the way they play the game. Arguably they should be penalised more, and the leniency shown actually helps them be successful.

2. They copped the rough end of it from the umps last night at important moments, but hey welcome aboard.

3. If there is ever a hall of fame for whinging to the umpires then Jack Riewoldt can be the founding member. Carries on in a ridiculous manner every week.

1. Richmond’s free kick differential is a product of the way they play the game. Arguably they should be penalised more, and the leniency shown actually helps them be successful.

2. They copped the rough end of it from the umps last night at important moments, but hey welcome aboard.

3. If there is ever a hall of fame for whinging to the umpires then Jack Riewoldt can be the founding member. Carries on in a ridiculous manner every week.
And yet Riewoldt hilariously called out Melb player K Pickett for carrying on
The lack of self awareness hypocrisy is unfathomable
One of the comps elite flogs

Nice work turning a distinct free kick deficit into a positive for us!

Stop dropping your knees into people , holding players after they have a free and you will get less free kicks against.
You mean stop giving away frees? I don't care if we do or don't (provided it's for the right reason). Telling us the umps are lenient on us, which helps us be successful, is just plain bs.

umpires tried hard to bring tigers back into the game in the 3rd.
last q evened things up.
terrible umpiring on the whole

I've always thought frees against and differentials are not the most meaningful metric. Maybe you're just undisciplined, or you play an uncompromising game plan that makes you more prone to infringing. Frees for is a superior measure.

Over a season you play every team, the disciplined ones and the undisciplined ones, and since the number of frees you give away yourself shouldn't affect how often others infringe you, this statistic will tell you if in the long run you keep missing out on frees that are actually there.

Yes and No. In a tackle heavy game, we get pinged for high tackles or in the back. Inversely, it means that we should also be rewarded more than we are for HTB and/or Incorrect Disposal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I often get frustrated that the broadcaster can decide which free kicks to replay. This can influence perceptions of which team is getting the advantage. The producers of the telecast are fans too, and have their bias, as do the game callers, as to which frees to replay and comment on.

I also don't like that umpires can give free kicks to a player who has taken a mark, or a ball has cleared the area. The free kick goes unnoticed, does not impact the contest or the game, but is tallied. It is a too obvious way for umpires to square up the free kick count... i often see lots of these ghost free kicks paid in the last quarter.
You make a massive point that not all free kicks are equal.

Free kick in front of goal when a team doesn’t have possession is very different to a free kick in possession on the centre wing.

Also, I would add rewarding marks as well and calling play on.

Rewarding marks there is doubt about it being 15m or a half volley or a marking contest is huge.

They are just a valuable as free kicks.

You make a massive point that not all free kicks are equal.

Free kick in front of goal when a team doesn’t have possession is very different to a free kick in possession on the centre wing.

Also, I would add rewarding marks as well and calling play on.

Rewarding marks there is doubt about it being 15m or a half volley or a marking contest is huge.

They are just a valuable as free kicks.

"Play-on... advantage" free kicks mean nothing for the team receiving it even though it appears on the stats sheet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back