The Fate of Eric Reginald Hipwood III

Remove this Banner Ad

He wouldn’t have known what happened. Finding himself on the ground alongside Gardner the immediate thought would have been that Gardner was at fault.

It needed the nearest other umpire to call it … if he had a clear view … and was not watching the kicker for interference after he had disposed of it.

The more obvious missed free was when a Brisbane defender walked the ball through for a rushed behind when there was no rush, no pressure and nobody within a many metres of him. Should have been a goal square free to us.

Unfortunately that one hasn’t been the AFLs “rule of the week” for a long time now, so they choose not to enforce it. Once they were red hot on it. So it’s no wonder the rugby and round ball codes mock AFL for the randomness of the application of the rules.
Weightman was within the 9m wasn't he?

Weightman was within the 9m wasn't he?
Didn't look like it from the TV angle. I think the TV commentators said he might have been, but I take that with a grain of salt.

However I'm happy to be corrected if there's another angle or definitive evidence (other than the AFL exonerating itself of course).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back