Mega Thread The Father-Son Mega thread - 2019

Apparently the club didn't rate him.

Let's hope it doesn't end up biting us on the bum.
I believe we did not rate him at the pick required for FS. I think we would have considered him as a later pick if he still been around.

Lord Mud of Glenferrie

Club Legend
Hawthorn Hawks - Lowden, Anderson, Woodward Player Sponsor 2013 Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2011 Player Sponsor Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2012 Player Sponsor
Dec 13, 2008
Tied to an oxygen tube
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Canetoads Bulls Gunners Packers
We haven't had much luck with the sons of star players - Tuck, Kennedy, Scott, Greene (hopefully langford can revert this trend).

Maybe we'll have better luck with players in the next bracket down - Loveridge, Maginness, Dear.

Geelong have been very licky with Ablett, Scarlett and Hawkins - three A graders.

Essendon have done well as well - Fletcher, Watson and now Daniher who based on early assessment expected to be very good.

By the way on a related topic, was Campbell Brown a father-son prospect who Richmond chose not to take? (like Curran for us).

Mal played only 14 games for Richmond.

Nobody with the surname "Wallace" should ever be welcome at Waverley.
Sorry, have to disagree here. Whatever Wallace's failures - & there are quite a few - he is still a triple premiership player for the club.

His son, Brent, has played for Box Hill and therefore trained at Waverley. Should we have ejected him for the "sins" of the father?

Lord Mud of Glenferrie

Club Legend
Hawthorn Hawks - Lowden, Anderson, Woodward Player Sponsor 2013 Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2011 Player Sponsor Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2012 Player Sponsor
Dec 13, 2008
Tied to an oxygen tube
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Canetoads Bulls Gunners Packers
Sorry, have to disagree here. Whatever Wallace's failures - & there are quite a few - he is still a triple premiership player for the club.

His son, Brent, has played for Box Hill and therefore trained at Waverley. Should we have ejected him for the "sins" of the father?

Agree,
I have never been able to understand the extent of anger against Terry Wallace. He is a premiership player and a club champion winner and an integral part of arguably Hawthorn's greatest ever centre line of Rodney Eade Terry Wallace and Geoff Ablett. What more do we want him to be?

Aug 13, 2006
Thailand
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks.
Agree,
I have never been able to understand the extent of anger against Terry Wallace. He is a premiership player and a club champion winner and an integral part of arguably Hawthorn's greatest ever centre line of Rodney Eade Terry Wallace and Geoff Ablett. What more do we want him to be?

I'm sure the angst against him doesn't come from anyone who saw him play so many great games for our club.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Don't you think predicting the football success of infants is extending a little too far? Fair enough if you are looking at a 15 yr old but even then it is hard to predict who will make it and who won't.

English soccer earmark kids under 10 years of age. I can't recall Ryan Giggs' age when clubs started showing interest but it was something like 10 or 11. I think Beckham was in the same boat. They tend to spot talent and skills whereas Aussies Rules clubs are more interested in athletic ability.

Unfinished

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2012
Winning Flags
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Richard Loveridge has twin boys who are talented footballers, but, unfortunately, equally talented at cricket. They'll have a choice to make. I think they're around 14 (ish).
Twins are 12 I'm pretty sure, there's an older brother who's 14 who's not as good as the younger two however.

MistyAvalon

Premiership Player
Feb 13, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Yankees , Roosters
It is a great shame that Platten's son was unwanted. How I remember watching his dad play....well i guess champions don't always produce champions...Just hope the boy enjoys his footy

Was speaking to my bro-inlaw yesterday, who son plays with Calsher Dear (another son of Paul). It's only Under 9's, but he is supposedly a 'freak' amongst the other kids. Some of whom are also sons of ex-AFL players.

Harry Dear is quite a monster for his age, too, and is almost as big if not bigger, than Paul already.

Back