Mega Thread The Father-Son Mega thread - 2019

Who is it?

And, are you talking about footy or still at your kid’s basketball game?:think:
At the footy. Unsure of his name, but was outstanding. His contested footy and clearance work was the best I’ve seen in an 18’s game. He was in another class than anyone else on the ground

“Pretty handy debut for Tom Graham (son of ex-Hawk and Tiger Mark) for Oakleigh Chargers in the TAC Cup today. Kicked two goals in the first quarter and shaped up OK the rest of the way. Was one of six Chargers on debut.”

FWIW - Champion Data logged Graham for 5 touches for the day.

3 kicks in the first term. Nothing in the second. Nothing in the third. Had 2 handballs in the last qtr.

Slick

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Berwick
AFL Club
Hawthorn
FWIW - Champion Data logged Graham for 5 touches for the day.

3 kicks in the first term. Nothing in the second. Nothing in the third. Had 2 handballs in the last qtr.

They got a fair touch up, so it doesn't surprise! Good to see him get a game, it'll be interesting to see how he goes in the coming weeks and if he stays in teh team when Oakleigh's rep players come back!

Hawks81

Team Captain
Aug 18, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There's some match highlights on the TAC Cup website, he got both his goals Josh Jenkins/Joe the Goose style, handball receives in the goal square. But goals are goals, will be good to see his next couple of weeks!
Couldn’t find the highlights, what does his body look like ? Has he put on any size since that video of him doing the jumping test ?

First game at a level higher than schoolboy footy, playing as a tall forward, in torrential rain, in a side that got crushed. Found a way to snag two goals. Pleasing start for mine.
Just watch the 4 minute video of game highlights:

Rain? - not a single drop, conditions were cool but calm.

“Found a way” to kick 2 goals? - yep, standing in the goal square by himself and waiting for handball in 2 v 1 situation.

Basically Matty Day (#6) gifted Tom both goals, which frankly Matt could have kicked himself.

Room for improvement? - absolutely, so I’m not knocking the kid, just putting a bit of realism into the conversation.

Curb your enthusiasm people.

Hawthorn have been very successful in recent years because our list/recruiting staff don’t feel the need to get drawn into romanticism or nepotism.

There have been heaps of potential father / sons available but very few looked at seriously, and only Paul Hudson, Josh Kennedy and Will Langford have proven to be remotely up to regular AFL standard.

Unlike Collingwood (Brown/Daicos) and Carlton (Buckley/Silvagni) we don’t select sub-standard players because their dads were club heroes.

That’s why we are more successful than most.

Just watch the 4 minute video of game highlights:

Rain? - not a single drop, conditions were cool but calm.

“Found a way” to kick 2 goals? - yep, standing in the goal square by himself and waiting for handball in 2 v 1 situation.

Basically Matty Day (#6) gifted Tom both goals, which frankly Matt could have kicked himself.

Room for improvement? - absolutely, so I’m not knocking the kid, just putting a bit of realism into the conversation.

Hawthorn have been very successful in recent years because our list/recruiting staff don’t feel the need to get drawn into romanticism or nepotism.

There have been heaps of potential father / sons available but very few looked at seriously, and only Paul Hudson, Josh Kennedy and Will Langford have proven to be remotely up to regular AFL standard.

Unlike Collingwood (Brown/Daicos) and Carlton (Buckley/Silvagni) we don’t select sub-standard players because their dads were club heroes.

That’s why we are more successful than most.

Brown and Daicos are promising players, Silvagni is raw but promising. Buckley was a decent underager.

We drafted Lachie Langford even though he was nowhere near up to par?

I get what you’re saying, who knows if we would have drafted Tom Curran, harry dear or Gowers given the same circumstances (no pre commitment with our last pick of the rookie draft )

Brown and Daicos are promising players, Silvagni is raw but promising. Buckley was a decent underager.

But none of them have done anything.

The man did say "we don’t select sub-standard players because their dads were club heroes".

stemline

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2001
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Funnily enough I don't think BigFooty enthusiasm impacts the club's recruiting decisions.

Given we have priority access to him, there's nothing wrong with hoping he's a gun. Not saying he is one, but I don't see the point in being pessimistic about him as a default position.

Funnily enough I don't think BigFooty enthusiasm impacts the club's recruiting decisions.

Given we have priority access to him, there's nothing wrong with hoping he's a gun. Not saying he is one, but I don't see the point in being pessimistic about him as a default position.

I agree, club recruiters wouldn’t give a toss about what’s written on here, but 17 - 18 year old kids and their families have, and often do. Same for bored mainstream journalists with nothing else to write about.

Reckon you're being kind to Silvagni. Haven't noticed the others.

Lachie was a rookie pick, so that's a fair estimation of where we saw him with his footy.

Hawks81

Team Captain
Aug 18, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Does anyone have any info on Charlie and Tom Loveridge?
Are they even remotely on the elite pathway ?

Does anyone have any info on Charlie and Tom Loveridge?
Are they even remotely on the elite pathway ?
AFAIK, they would be in Year 11 at Scotch. A google search shows references to cricket but not so much about footy. Perhaps they have chosen a different path.

Fatrollo

Senior List
Oct 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
AFAIK, they would be in Year 11 at Scotch. A google search shows references to cricket but not so much about footy. Perhaps they have chosen a different path.
Talking to someone whose kid plays (or used to play) with them a few years back, both were standout footballers around the 12-14 age level but haven't heard anything since. Could very well be they want to do something else or haven't come on much. Whatever the case, if there's any potential in them, the club would be well aware of what they could be capable of or bring to the club.

Bumps"N"Grins

Premiership Player
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sell the team Dolan
Just putting this out there as an idea.

What if, the current squad of hawthorn players and any other Hawthorn player, adopted the top ten potential draft picks now?
Then the AFL would close that loophole quick smart.

Back