Mega Thread The Father-Son Mega thread - 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

The delisting of Harry Dear by the Crows is an interesting one.
Paul Dear was a late developer so I wouldn't mind throwing Harry a lifeline to help KP and ruck stocks.
If he is like his dad he could be great in a year or two, worth thinking about by those in list management.

Happy to have Harry at BHH - try him there for a year or so without the commitment and then Father Son him or DFA him back onto the list if needed (if they change the rules as mooted to allow anyone delisted by an AFL club lifetime Delisted Free Agent status).

Pleased to report Finn Maginness played his best TAC game for Sandringham yesterday in a comfortable finals win over Murray. Kicked two goals from 9 kicks and 7 handballs off a wing.

Been very good for Scotch but struggled a bit with the step up to TAC level until this week. Hasn’t made the Futures u17 AFL grand final curtain raiser, but is ticking along well and looking at some significant improvements this summer.

Pleased to report Finn Maginness played his best TAC game for Sandringham yesterday in a comfortable finals win over Murray. Kicked two goals from 9 kicks and 7 handballs off a wing.

Been very good for Scotch but struggled a bit with the step up to TAC level until this week. Hasn’t made the Futures u17 AFL grand final curtain raiser, but is ticking along well and looking at some significant improvements this summer.

i've seen him in a few games and he gets a lot of easy possessions, hasnt impressed as yet at the TAC Cup level, but im hopeful of better performances next year in his draft year, at least he has a good physique for footy and a decent kick, just needs to find more possession and get in the clinches more often, he needs to hunt the ball would be my advice for him.

i've seen him in a few games and he gets a lot of easy possessions, hasnt impressed as yet at the TAC Cup level, but im hopeful of better performances next year in his draft year, at least he has a good physique for footy and a decent kick, just needs to find more possession and get in the clinches more often, he needs to hunt the ball would be my advice for him.
Interesting point you make about hunting the ball.
My point is a general observation of the system and not a comment directly at Finn in that there are conflicting agendas at play in pathway systems at present.
Coaches with ambition want to be seen as the next genius on the rise and also want to be seen as good bum boys to AFL agendas. Issue number one the past couple of seasons has been congestion so as a result the buzz word amongst up and coming coaches is SHAPE you will hear it everywhere. As a result of this you will find alot of kids that once would have been labeled highly coachable end up being the sacrificed to the detriment of there own ambitions and in a lot of cases knowing they can do more but thinking doing what they are asked is still promoting or advancing their careers, whilst on the other hand the less coachable see ball get ball player looks like a jet going about what he does as a result of being lesser of two options.
All the while the ambitious coach looks like a modern day wizz because he can implement AFL congestion agendas by using one buzz word SHAPE.
Haven't watched Finn play but have seen plenty of kids that have been utterly dominant and influential players of recent years regress to the point of next to nothing in the pathway systems due to the word SHAPE, all the while thinking to themselves why am I not getting kudos for doing what I'm told while the team rule breaker goes about collecting stats and pats on the back.

Heard Nate Dear could be a jet, but rumours he may not be interested in league footy?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Heard Nate Dear could be a jet, but rumours he may not be interested in league footy?

I posted that some time ago. Came via his family.

Didn't see Finn Maguinness make the list of 150 for the AFL academy for 2019/20

yea but he can only make the 30 for Vic Metro, so that 150 AFL Academy has too many Interstaters to be the real top 150 kids, just to point out the reality, so all it means is he isnt in the top 30 vic metro for 2018

Finn Maginness will play with a very strong Sandringham team next year and if he averages around 20 poss a game will get drafted, physically he is perfect for footy, tall well built and strong, also seems to use the footy pretty well and an accurate kick at goal which means his mentals are good too like composure and ability to deal with pressure, the issue is he needs to average over 20 poss at TAC Cup level to really push his cause and if he does he could bolt up the draft order.

his stats for 2018:

8 games, 5.3(score), 104 disposals (avg 13 disp), 18 marks, 18 tackles, 0 times in the best - if he gets his average up to 20 or there abouts and adds more tackles and marks, but moreso tackles to his game, he will be drafted f/s 100%, but we'll wait and see, another below average year like last year and he may be a bust, but only time will tell, its up to him really...

Nate is big and strong like his dad. He can really play when he wants to. Anybody's guess if he commits to a possible afl future.
He's currently in both footy and basketball Victorian squads for his age which is a great sign.

yea but he can only make the 30 for Vic Metro, so that 150 AFL Academy has too many Interstaters to be the real top 150 kids, just to point out the reality, so all it means is he isnt in the top 30 vic metro for 2018

Finn Maginness will play with a very strong Sandringham team next year and if he averages around 20 poss a game will get drafted, physically he is perfect for footy, tall well built and strong, also seems to use the footy pretty well and an accurate kick at goal which means his mentals are good too like composure and ability to deal with pressure, the issue is he needs to average over 20 poss at TAC Cup level to really push his cause and if he does he could bolt up the draft order.

his stats for 2018:

8 games, 5.3(score), 104 disposals (avg 13 disp), 18 marks, 18 tackles, 0 times in the best - if he gets his average up to 20 or there abouts and adds more tackles and marks, but moreso tackles to his game, he will be drafted f/s 100%, but we'll wait and see, another below average year like last year and he may be a bust, but only time will tell, its up to him really...

Apparently runs a sub 49 400m as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know whether we have interest in Tom Graham as a project player? We took a punt on Lachie Langford, we could do worse than developing a 195cm ex-basketballer from decent AFL stock with a massive leap.

Think it'd be a long shot. Didn't set the world on fire (and that's being kind) in the games he was lucky enough to play in for Oakleigh.

Does anyone know whether we have interest in Tom Graham as a project player? We took a punt on Lachie Langford, we could do worse than developing a 195cm ex-basketballer from decent AFL stock with a massive leap.
Think Tom is so far off the mark that he won't even be considered for a rookie spot,

I didn’t watch him but sounded like a rookie pick at best. Maybe tell him to play at box hill for a year and not nominate for the draft so we can take him next year if he develops.

I didn’t watch him but sounded like a rookie pick at best. Maybe tell him to play at box hill for a year and not nominate for the draft so we can take him next year if he develops.
Wouldn't get close to a game for BHH though, would he?

No Dev League so can't do it there either.

No idea but if we are serious about him we want him in our development space even if that means he spends a year training at box hill and/or playing down a league.
This is where the Dev League will be sorely missed.
If he signs with Hawks, he can't play any league lower than VFL, and he clearly isn't VFL standard.
If he signs with Box Hill, then he could go down to suburban leagues but we are open to other clubs getting him.

Anyone know anything about Finn Maginness?

Read some AFL Draft Central comments but wanted to know if anyone had any further knowledge.
Saw he was in Josh Poulters top 50 for 2019.

Be interested to hear your comments

Read some AFL Draft Central comments but wanted to know if anyone had any further knowledge.

Heard he will be training with the club for a couple of weeks in January

has a great football physique, similar to josh kennedy, uses the ball pretty well, has not overly impressed for Sandringham at this stage averaging around 13 disposals in the mid and flanks, needs a big year next year if he is to be drafted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back