Mega Thread The Father-Son Mega thread - 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

has a great football physique, similar to josh kennedy, uses the ball pretty well, has not overly impressed for Sandringham at this stage averaging around 13 disposals in the mid and flanks, needs a big year next year if he is to be drafted
What's his speed & aggression like?

Does he hunt the ball & the guy with the ball?

Have anyone seen Finn Maginness play if he a tall midfielder or average size was reading somewhere a few years back that they through he would grow over 190cm.

Last edited:

Finn Maginness - pre 2018 TAC Cup - Sandringham Dragons - Scotch College
Stats were:
HT: 186cm
WT: 73kg

The TAC website pre 2018 season as an underage play said:
PRE-SEASON PERFORMER
Finn Maginness
(bottom-age East Brighton junior): “Finn has really jumped up out of nowhere and he impressed on the track early in pre-season. He’s going to be a midfielder but is continuing to grow and we’re hoping he might nudge 190cm. If he can keep his endurance up, he’ll be an exciting prospect.”

So last year he was already tall than Stocker and Smith both drafted early.
Depending on how Finn goes this year and how the hawks finish in 2019, Finn may go round 1/2.
Agree he looks a lot like Scott his dad and sure the club will continue to monitor him closely.

Finn Maginness - pre 2018 TAC Cup - Sandringham Dragons - Scotch College
Stats were:
HT: 186cm
WT: 73kg

The TAC website pre 2018 season as an underage play said:
PRE-SEASON PERFORMER
Finn Maginness
(bottom-age East Brighton junior): “Finn has really jumped up out of nowhere and he impressed on the track early in pre-season. He’s going to be a midfielder but is continuing to grow and we’re hoping he might nudge 190cm. If he can keep his endurance up, he’ll be an exciting prospect.”

So last year he was already tall than Stocker and Smith both drafted early.
Depending on how Finn goes this year and how the hawks finish in 2019, Finn may go round 1/2.
Agree he looks a lot like Scott his dad and sure the club will continue to monitor him closely.
Okay, so basic facts.

1. This year the AFL have massively restructured/increased their Academy to 150 players (roughly 120 top agers).

2. Vic Metro have 30, as do Vic Country, SA, WA and The Aliies

3. You would expect the vast majority of draftees/rookies to come from this group of 120 players

4. Quite a few of these 120 will miss out.

5. A handful might get drafted outside the 120, mainly mature agers.

6. Finn is not on the AFL Academy List.

Conclusion: it’s going to be a bloody good effort for him to get drafted at all, let alone in rounds 1 or 2.

I read yesterday on AFL.com, that Tom Graham will have another year with the Oakleigh Chargers as a over aged player.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
No point him trying to play senior football yet (even at local level). He’s a fair way off the mark right now.

Devlin Brereton was in the same boat last year, and went nowhere in the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read yesterday on AFL.com, that Tom Graham will have another year with the Oakleigh Chargers as a over aged player.
On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
No point him trying to play senior football yet (even at local level). He’s a fair way off the mark right now.
Devlin Brereton was in the same boat last year, and went nowhere in the end.

The kid is tall and raw, and was a full time basketballer - it's not as though he was playing football and basketball. I think he might be something we can work with, provided he shows something with the Chargers this year.

If he shows any football nous at all, we would have to take him on top of his already sky high athleticism. The kid can jump!

What's his speed & aggression like?

Does he hunt the ball & the guy with the ball?

in his bottom age year he played a lot of outside mid, he has ok speed, and good skills, kicking for goal seemed good, didnt get a lot of poss because players like Stocker were the main guys in the centre, didnt seem overly aggressive but held his own in a contest, he seemed to be a similar player to Stocker but had to play the outside role because of Stockers draft year.

he was in the bests this pre-season for Sandy along with Ryan Byrnes and Jack Mahoney, they have an exciting midfield rotation.

always liked how his dad played as well, tough backman who you could always rely on.

Noah Anderson is a player most have going top 5, tall goal kicking mid, plays inside and outside and was a key to Oakleighs successful 2018 season where only an incredibly strong Dandenong denied them of the ultimate success, looking forward to seeing him again this season.

Last edited:
Just remember, with the father son bidding system, it would only have saved us a few picks (i.e. 20% points discount)

So we're not missing out like we would have with the old F/S 3rd round system

Was disappointed to find out Maginess was tied to your club, he wasn’t on my radar last year but from the practise matches I’ve seen this year he certainly is now and will be in my top 30 prospects for the start of the year.

He has had the ball on a string through the midfield winning it on the inside and outside but mostly outside. His just classy in his movement and his clean hands really do standout, he was listed as 189cm in Sandy team sheet I was given on the weekend. Player comparison for me at this stage would be Mitch Duncan.

Was disappointed to find out Maginess was tied to your club, he wasn’t on my radar last year but from the practise matches I’ve seen this year he certainly is now and will be in my top 30 prospects for the start of the year.

He has had the ball on a string through the midfield winning it on the inside and outside but mostly outside. His just classy in his movement and his clean hands really do standout, he was listed as 189cm in Sandy team sheet I was given on the weekend. Player comparison for me at this stage would be Mitch Duncan.
You lost me at Mitch Duncan

This is the first time I have ever given a 'like' to an Essendon poster. Well done.:thumbsu:

Simon Minton-Connell's son is playing at Calder and looks decent, might be a late pick or rookie option, obviously we dont have any ties to him, but is a father-son nonetheless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back