Mega Thread The Father-Son Mega thread - 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Anti-Paywall in Firefox and Article Paywall Bypass in chrome both report that article no exists. That may mean that we just can't get through the paywall at all.

Aug 28, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Noah Anderson ranks 'elite' for ranking points (185), disposals (32.0), contested possessions (15.3), clearances (6.0) and goals (2.7) in the NAB League according to Champion Data.

You'd have definitively project him as a top 5 pick now I'd say.

EDIT: Currently got 15 touches and 2 goals against Casey for the Aus u18s

In Chrome, if using Article Paywall Bypass, do a search on TRADE BLUNDER WILL COST HAWKS FATHER-SON GUN then click the heraldsun link, you can view the article.

Edit In firefox it seems to work too with Anti-paywall. The url from the search result is
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...k/news-story/f7c9f6b80a335854daab8854462644b4

May work with outline, too, but haven't tried
Classic sensationalist headline from Herald Sun. Hardly a blunder when the quality of his son as a draftee couldn't have been predicted at the time. Mostly because Noah hadn't even been born yet! On top of all that he actually did qualify for F/S status at the time Dean was traded, so even if Hawthorn were to have known his son would be this good they'd have had to have known the games requirement was going to increase to 100.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Classic sensationalist headline from Herald Sun. Hardly a blunder when the quality of his son as a draftee couldn't have been predicted at the time. Mostly because Noah hadn't even been born yet! On top of all that he actually did qualify for F/S status at the time Dean was traded, so even if Hawthorn were to have known his son would be this good they'd have had to have known the games requirement was going to increase to 100.

"Trade blunder". Typical Slobbo headline.

Speaking of Slobbo, the other day I was reading an article on News.com.au. Most articles there have a video at the top that plays automatically. And there is a sliding frame that moves down the page with you so it is pretty difficult to ignore. When the video ends, it spools to then next one. On this occasion the next one happened to be Slobbo. Anyway, I listened. Honestly, I did not understand a word he said except to determine that he continually interchanged Whitfield and Neale in relation to some story. I think it was that Neale (or Whitfield) was playing well enough for Brownlow consideration.
Came across as totally pissed, and at work. F$%k me, how he still has a job is astounding.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons

Exactly. Also if you believe in the ‘Butterfly Effect’ then Noah wouldn’t have been a twinkle in his old mans eye.

bumsonseats

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2009
Back in Stinktown (Adelaide)
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Early days I know, but it is not outside the realms of possibility that we could end up with a top 5 draft pick and snag both Noah and Finn.
We dropped a couple of games against Bulldogs and Aints, and haven’t really played any of the so called stronger clubs yet. Whilst teams like StKilda, Freeo, Ess and even GC are out-performing expectation. Wheathee they can keep that up or not is obviously yet to be seen.

If Anderson slips a couple of places he becomes gettable for us.
And take Finn with a discounted 2nd or even 3rd rounder.
Not outside the realms of possibility

This year could well become a development year for which we reap the benefits in 2021 and beyond, which I understand is the timeline we are looking to seriously contend.

May 4, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We're going to need a mighty fine tank commander if we want a top 5 pick. I vote bringing in rookie listed Will Langford to lead the team. Starting midfield Pittonet, Langford, Golds, Greaves.

Rest up for the year guys. Welcome 2020

We're going to need a mighty fine tank commander if we want a top 5 pick. I vote bringing in rookie listed Will Langford to lead the team. Starting midfield Pittonet, Langford, Golds, Greaves.

Just get Noah to hold off nominating for the draft until next year. Draft Dean in the mid season draft this year and name him in the team 17 times over this season and next to get him up to 100 games.

Probably the most likely way we will obtain him ;)
It would be entertaining to see how the AFL and the rest of the comp react if we actually tried this.

Honestly though if he wanted to play at Hawthorn he'd get here eventually. But I'd be surprised if there was any real desire from him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

detox

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Tim O brien has a bit of tank commander look about him. Rest stratts, give him the captancy and clear out the forward 50 for him.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

One thing to remember about Anderson is that even if he did qualify to come to us as a F/S, if he really was going to go top 2 in the draft and he was bid on there then we'd have to have the equivalent of about pick 3-5 to match (or multiple not-so-much later picks) anyway.

So it's not like we've totally missed out on top 2 draftee for practically nothing (which it would've been under the old system). We've just missed out on the opportunity to draft a top 2 draftee a few picks later than that.

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Don't they just take your points off the rest of your picks? That many picks would wipe us out, so we would end up with something like:

#2 Anderson (#12 upgraded)
#82 ?? (#30 downgraded)
#83 ?? (#48 downgraded)
#84 ?? (#66 downgraded)

Or would the deficit carry over into the next year as well?

Don't they just take your points off the rest of your picks? That many picks would wipe us out, so we would end up with something like:

#2 Anderson (#12 upgraded)
#82 ?? (#30 downgraded)
#83 ?? (#48 downgraded)
#84 ?? (#66 downgraded)

Or would the deficit carry over into the next year as well?
Yes, you can use multiple picks to cover the cost but if he gets bid on in the first couple picks and our first pick is around pick 9/10 then we'd have needed to use that and our second pick (if we still have it?) and get the change left over somewhere around pick 55-60. Trading in pretty much all the draft for one kid doesn't seem like something GW would do. Maybe he'd have been the exception though.

Anyway doesn't matter though as we don't get the opportunity to match even if we wanted to. Just pointing out that by him not qualifying for F/S status that we're not missing out on getting a potential pick 1 for a 3rd rounder for some late pick like Geelong have in the past. The cost would still have been high.

Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
One thing to remember about Anderson is that even if he did qualify to come to us as a F/S, if he really was going to go top 2 in the draft and he was bid on there then we'd have to have the equivalent of about pick 3-5 to match (or multiple not-so-much later picks) anyway.

So it's not like we've totally missed out on top 2 draftee for practically nothing (which it would've been under the old system). We've just missed out on the opportunity to draft a top 2 draftee a few picks later than that.
What did the Swans pay for Nick Blakey who was touted to go top 5 in last year's draft?

Yes, you can use multiple picks to cover the cost but if he gets bid on in the first couple picks and our first pick is around pick 9/10 then we'd have needed to use that and our second pick (if we still have it?) and get the change left over somewhere around pick 55-60. Trading in pretty much all the draft for one kid doesn't seem like something GW would do. Maybe he'd have been the exception though.

Anyway doesn't matter though as we don't get the opportunity to match even if we wanted to. Just pointing out that by him not qualifying for F/S status that we're not missing out on getting a potential pick 1 for a 3rd rounder for some late pick like Geelong have in the past. The cost would still have been high.
Exactly.

Kinda gotta hope he goes to Gold Coast... then gets 'homesick'...;)

What did the Swans pay for Nick Blakey who was touted to go top 5 in last year's draft?
GWS bid for him at pick 10 so 1,395 points, minus 25% discount equals a total of 1,046 points.

Swans had traded their first rounder (pick 13) so they had to use their first few picks which were 26 and 33 (total 1,292 points) leaving them with 246 points change and I think they got pick 52.

If they still had their original first rounder at pick 13 then they'd have had to use that and got pick 59 as change.

** May be a bit off with a few of the numbers as I'm just working backwards from Wikipedia records. Later picks also change with subsequent matched bids and live pick trading, so it's easy to mess up.

draft_bid_points.PNG

Also Blakey was eligible to go as a F/S to Brisbane or North Melbourne in addition to Sydney as an academy selection. Given he passed on the other two and elected Sydney it's possible that's why he slipped in the draft. Clubs aren't really going to be interested in risking such a high pick on a player that has publicly stated their preference. If he was free and open to go to any club then maybe he would have gone top 5.

Likewise with Noah Anderson. He's not eligible for F/S or academy status with any club so he's likely to be an attractive option to any club with a top 5 pick. However, if he happened to drop in interviews that he was keen to follow in his dad's footsteps and win some flags at Hawthorn then maybe the interest from other clubs wanes and he slips to our first pick...

/dream

Toasted

All Australian
Jul 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Also Blakey was eligible to go as a F/S to Brisbane or North Melbourne in addition to Sydney as an academy selection. Given he passed on the other two and elected Sydney it's possible that's why he slipped in the draft. Clubs aren't really going to be interested in risking such a high pick on a player that has publicly stated their preference. If he was free and open to go to any club then maybe he would have gone top 5.

Likewise with Noah Anderson. He's not eligible for F/S or academy status with any club so he's likely to be an attractive option to any club with a top 5 pick. However, if he happened to drop in interviews that he was keen to follow in his dad's footsteps and win some flags at Hawthorn then maybe the interest from other clubs wanes and he slips to our first pick...

/dream

Noah is going top 2. Rowell and Anderson are jets and from what I’ve heard the rest drops off pretty quickly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back