Mega Thread The Father-Son Mega thread - 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I read we have to use our next pick after a bid? ie great if its 30+ but if our next pick is say 15 - we may have a different player we prefer in that range hence maybe what sven is asking... can someone clarify?
Yes, that’s correct, but I think we’ll have spent our first pick by the time he is bid on, and with this sort of scenario hanging over our head we will set up to not have a pick 15 on our books so we don’t get caught out.

We’ll be better to have a couple of second or third rounders.

westhawk

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2006
perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Pretty sure if someone bids on him with a pick that falls before where our 1st pick falls then we’d have to use our 1st rounder to select him if we want him. Finn would really have to ridiculously jump up draft boards for this to happen and as unlikely as that is it has happened before with other players like Clayton Oliver and Marcus Bontepelli.
True, but I think we will have about pick 4 or 5 and can’t see him jumping that high.

westhawk

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2006
perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yes, that’s correct, but I think we’ll have spent our first pick by the time he is bid on, and with this sort of scenario hanging over our head we will set up to not have a pick 15 on our books so we don’t get caught out.

We’ll be better to have a couple of second or third rounders.
Exactly , Wrighty is too smart to not have something sorted.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
I read we have to use our next pick after a bid? ie great if its 30+ but if our next pick is say 15 - we may have a different player we prefer in that range hence maybe what sven is asking... can someone clarify?
The thing is we need the type of player Finn is as we don’t have that Josh Kennedy type big bodied midfielder. We obviously do need KPP so there is always a chance we could overlook him for a KPP but I doubt it. Something to remember when your picking in the draft is to ALWAYS choose talent over positional need. If you choose a player to fill a position on your list then 90% of the time you will shoot yourself in the foot and miss out on a good player. The ONLY time I think you should go for position over talent is if the talent level is relatively close. The other thing you have to consider when choosing / not choosing Finn is that being a FS pick we get a 25% discount on him.

Dec 29, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think that if a club bids you just match and pick him regardless of whether you had him at 12 or 23....and I think we’d be starting to get our heads around what that looks like.
I agree, I'm sure the discount helps take away any potential awkwardness as well. Having said all that, I hope we trade away that 2nd round pick for someone useful and grab Finn with a few lower picks.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
How much upside does he have compared to the top 10-15 players? Is he dominating games a lot due to his big size compared to a lot of the other kids or is he just damn good?

theres a top 12-15 players that are better than Finn imo, but Finn is rising in ranking, not only the Champs form, but i hear he kicked 4 goals in 1 quarter in school footy, so his stocks are rising, i feel as though theres 3 levels, top 3 or so are elite, top 12-15 are very strong prospects and then theres the 15-35 which are strong and Finn is one of the better ones in that 3rd group so 15-20 is his likely range at present.

if we can pick up Serong at 5-7, then Finn at say 15-20 or so id be a happy man... and Pepper somewhere near the end of the draft

Last edited:
theres a top 12-15 players that are better than Finn imo, but Finn is rising in ranking, not only the Champs form, but i hear he kicked 4 goals in 1 quarter in school footy, so his stocks are rising, i feel as though theres 3 levels, top 3 or so are elite, top 12-15 are very strong prospects and then theres the 15-35 which are strong and Finn is one of the better ones in that 3rd group so 15-20 is his likely range at present.

if we can pick up Serong at 5-7, then Finn at say 15-20 or so id be a happy man... and Pepper somewhere near the end of the draft
And Anderson for a 2nd rounder to Gold Coast two years later?

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
We should look at something like a quality older player (Smith, or Breust if we had to but this is not the place to argue that), our first and second round for Pick 1 or 2 and a third round.
That will give us Anderson or Rowell plus plenty of points for Finn. Midfield fixed.
From pick 17 onwards you get a 197 point discount so two early third rounders covers another club calling his name picks 15 - 20.

bumsonseats

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2009
Back in Stinktown (Adelaide)
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Tops has been saying or some time now that we are looking to get hold of 2 x first rounders for this year.
If Finn is a 15-20 prospect, then our 2nd first rounder needs to be about 10-12.
That way we get our (likely top 5 pick), our 2nd first rounder, and hopefully Finn using a couple of 3rd rounders.
Effectively we could land 3x top 20 players in this draft. And whilst draft pick and 18 year old kids are not the answer, if we can complement that with Cogs as a FA, and trade our 2020 first for a decent established player, then I call that a big win.

Tops has been saying or some time now that we are looking to get hold of 2 x first rounders for this year.
If Finn is a 15-20 prospect, then our 2nd first rounder needs to be about 10-12.
That way we get our (likely top 5 pick), our 2nd first rounder, and hopefully Finn using a couple of 3rd rounders.
Effectively we could land 3x top 20 players in this draft. And whilst draft pick and 18 year old kids are not the answer, if we can complement that with Cogs as a FA, and trade our 2020 first for a decent established player, then I call that a big win.

As others have said, if we're looking for 2 first rounders we'd better be looking for 2 in the top 10.

If we can give up Smith and an early second for say, the Doggies first rounder (slim chance I know) - we'd be laughing. Because we'd then only have to commit our next pick after the early second we gave away.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We should look at something like a quality older player (Smith, or Breust if we had to but this is not the place to argue that), our first and second round for Pick 1 or 2 and a third round.
That will give us Anderson or Rowell plus plenty of points for Finn. Midfield fixed.
From pick 17 onwards you get a 197 point discount so two early third rounders covers another club calling his name picks 15 - 20.
I reckon this is the plan.

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gws are the team that have two first rounders and be looking to move up the draft (to get a pick before green is bid on). I wouldn’t be surprised to see us downgrade our pick to gws’ *pick and their own first. Just gotta hope that Finn doesn’t get bid on before our second first rounder

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hawkermitch

Team Captain
May 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I too have a feeling that the hawks will want 2 x 1st rounders this year.

Some doggies fans hope/wish they trade their 2019 1st rounder for a 2020 1st round as they have an academy player deemed be be drafted very early.

I wouldn't mind the dogs 1st rounder 2019 coming to the hawks one way or another.

The issue is I'm not sure with improvements of Sal F and Connor Downie how they fit in with hawks future trades.

Downie in hawks academy, already played for Vic Metro, could go 1st round as an example in 2020 and hawks need the points.

NB - Just saw the Whitfield scenario - IMO he comes once he is a FA at the end of his contract in 2020.

Dec 29, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I too have a feeling that the hawks will want 2 x 1st rounders this year.

Some doggies fans hope/wish they trade their 2019 1st rounder for a 2020 1st round as they have an academy player deemed be be drafted very early.

I wouldn't mind the dogs 1st rounder 2019 coming to the hawks one way or another.

The issue is I'm not sure with improvements of Sal F and Connor Downie how they fit in with hawks future trades.

Downie in hawks academy, already played for Vic Metro, could go 1st round as an example in 2020 and hawks need the points.

NB - Just saw the Whitfield scenario - IMO he comes once he is a FA at the end of his contract in 2020.
Just on Downie, we could always try and bring our 2021 first round pick forward if he stays in contention. I'd dearly love a nice draft haul this year. Use 2020 first to make something happen this year I say.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Gws are the team that have two first rounders and be looking to move up the draft (to get a pick before green is bid on). I wouldn’t be surprised to see us downgrade our pick to gws’ *pick and their own first. Just gotta hope that Finn doesn’t get bid on before our second first rounder

I'm not sure I'd want to see us give up a top 5 pick for say Pick 11 & 15 if that's what you're saying ? History suggests after the first 5 it's really hit and miss. chances are in the top 5 you'll get a 200 game player.

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The Whitfield play?
I’d love to get him, if Cogs stays he could be a chance to be moved on if they think he’s gonna leave at the end of next year. We’d be stumping up a lot though.
I'm not sure I'd want to see us give up a top 5 pick for say Pick 11 & 15 if that's what you're saying ? History suggests after the first 5 it's really hit and miss. chances are in the top 5 you'll get a 200 game player.
I’d be hoping the * pick would be around 9-10, but this is the year that trading down would make sense, the top 2 are fairly set and then there’s probably another 4/5 that could go in any order after that. I’d back us in to pick a good mid at 9/10, then with the second we could look at a key position. I wouldn’t want to miss out on kemp but there’s a chance he won’t make it to pick 5 if that’s what we end up with. Could also manufacture something to receive bonar aswell if we are interested in him.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I’d love to get him, if Cogs stays he could be a chance to be moved on if they think he’s gonna leave at the end of next year. We’d be stumping up a lot though.

I’d be hoping the * pick would be around 9-10, but this is the year that trading down would make sense, the top 2 are fairly set and then there’s probably another 4/5 that could go in any order after that. I’d back us in to pick a good mid at 9/10, then with the second we could look at a key position. I wouldn’t want to miss out on kemp but there’s a chance he won’t make it to pick 5 if that’s what we end up with. Could also manufacture something to receive bonar aswell if we are interested in him.

I reckon every chance we end up with Pick 3 given our run home, Dees play Carlton, Dogs and the Saints in the next month.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Looking at the remaining games for teams below us + the Saints where we finish could very well come down to the clashes we have with Fremantle, Gold Coast and North Melbourne. I don't expect us to win any of the other games but as always I will be hoping we win every one of them.

The games highlighted in green are the ones I think that team has a shot at winning where as the others will likely result in a loss. Depending on what Clarko decides to do the rest of the season I wouldn't be surprised to see us fall into the bottom 3 due to the difficulty of our remaining games.

SAINTS 14th
Rd16 North Melb
Rd17 Geelong
Rd18 Bulldogs
Rd19 Melbourne

Rd20 Adelaide
Rd21 Fremantle
Rd22 Carlton
Rd23 Sydney

HAWKS 15th
Rd16 Collingwood
Rd17 Fremantle
Rd18 Geelong
Rd19 Brisbane
Rd20 North Melb
Rd21 GWS
Rd22 Gold Coast
Rd23 West Coast

DEMONS 16th
Rd16 Carlton
Rd17 Bulldogs

Rd18 West Coast
Rd19 St Kilda
Rd20 Richmond
Rd21 Collingwood
Rd22 Sydney
Rd23 North Melb

BLUES 17th
Rd16 Melbourne
Rd17 Sydney
Rd18 Gold Coast

Rd19 Adelaide
Rd20 West Coast
Rd21 Richmond
Rd22 St Kilda
Rd23 Geelong

SUNS 18th
Rd16 Richmond
Rd17 Adelaide
Rd18 Carlton
Rd19 Essendon
Rd20 Collingwood
Rd21 Brisbane
Rd22 Hawthorn
Rd23 GWS

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Looking at the remaining games for teams below us + the Saints where we finish could very well come down to the clashes we have with Fremantle, Gold Coast and North Melbourne. I don't expect us to win any of the other games but as always I will be hoping we win every one of them.

The games highlighted in green are the ones I think that team has a shot at winning where as the others will likely result in a loss. Depending on what Clarko decides to do the rest of the season I wouldn't be surprised to see us fall into the bottom 3 due to the difficulty of our remaining games.

SAINTS 14th
Rd16 North Melb
Rd17 Geelong
Rd18 Bulldogs
Rd19 Melbourne

Rd20 Adelaide
Rd21 Fremantle
Rd22 Carlton
Rd23 Sydney

HAWKS 15th
Rd16 Collingwood
Rd17 Fremantle