Mega Thread The Father-Son Mega thread - 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Scum is scum is scum. Hate the scum.

i saw dodoro watching the Allies V Vic Country Trial game last week and he was (i overheard him)talking about bidding on someone or picking someone early and that he was actually keen on that player, this was while he was watching Pepper running with the ball on the wing, so i would expect 2 bids from essendon, it might have been about the mid-season draft that was happening that monday, but my paranoia says it might also be about Pepper and Maginness...

i saw dodoro watching the Allies V Vic Country Trial game last week and he was (i overheard him)talking about bidding on someone or picking someone early and that he was actually keen on that player, this was while he was watching Pepper running with the ball on the wing, so i would expect 2 bids from essendon, it might have been about the mid-season draft that was happening that monday, but my paranoia says it might also be about Pepper and Maginness...
Fist pump.

My guess would be Maginness, he likes the Sandy boys, we also don’t have an early pick so I wouldn’t worry haha

Pepper doesn't have any affiliation with the Hawks does he?

this is the only time I’ve seen Finn play, looked neat out there but didn’t do anything spectacular. It was actually a fairly poor standard game, especially compared to some of the games last year. Even Rowell and Anderson who were clearly the best players for Vic metro weren’t that great or influential. Hopefully it was just the two teams getting some rust out and the standard of the other games is much higher.

this is the only time I’ve seen Finn play, looked neat out there but didn’t do anything spectacular. It was actually a fairly poor standard game, especially compared to some of the games last year. Even Rowell and Anderson who were clearly the best players for Vic metro weren’t that great or influential. Hopefully it was just the two teams getting some rust out and the standard of the other games is much higher.
Agree mate, I thought it was a pretty poor standard compared to past years. No key forward for either team or standout defenders. I actually thought Finn looked just as good as Anderson and he looks physically more imposing.

Agree mate, I thought it was a pretty poor standard compared to past years. No key forward for either team or standout defenders. I actually thought Finn looked just as good as Anderson and he looks physically more imposing.
Yeah what he did was pretty good, just think he didn’t have a huge influence. I know it’s bad but I kinda hope he doesn’t kill it during the champs, if he somehow slips to our 3rd it would be an amazing get haha. Smith for Vic country and jones for metro seem like decent prospects. Condon did some nice things then looked rough at other times. I thought worrell looked good as a key that can play both ends. Young was probably the best player on the ground but isn’t a kpp

Yeah what he did was pretty good, just think he didn’t have a huge influence. I know it’s bad but I kinda hope he doesn’t kill it during the champs, if he somehow slips to our 3rd it would be an amazing get haha. Smith for Vic country and jones for metro seem like decent prospects. Condon did some nice things then looked rough at other times. I thought worrell looked good as a key that can play both ends. Young was probably the best player on the ground but isn’t a kpp
Looking forward to watching the Vic metro v WA game live next weekend. Agree totally with just wanting Finn to cruise through, hopefully the Hawks have said take it easy.

Finn Maginess played well in a losing team today. Played about 80% gametime despite starting on the bench. Played predominantly in the middle (starting there at each center bounce whilst on the ground).

A very good sized midfielder (187cm) who played more inside than outside. Laid multiple tackles (about 4-5) and was rewarded a free kick for one of them (at center half back). Without looking at any stats, he got about 15 possessions, equal in ratio with kicks to handball. Kicked an easy goal after an over-the-top handball in the goalsquare.

Not super quick but quick enough to get to opposition players to tackle. May have taken a couple of simple marks. Was clean with his disposal, and sometimes put his arms up, shimmied and shrugged off a couple of tackles before disposing the ball....as you'd expect with an inside mid. Usually made the right decisions.

Belongs with the under 18 stars. Definitely fits in with the likes of Rowell and Anderson.....but not on their level in terms of possessions or ground covered. FWIW Rowell will be pick #1 and Anderson #2 IMO. I think second round might be where Maginess ends up, but certainly not first round at this stage.

More astute observers might have seen things differently (or even official stats may be different), but that's my summation on our next father-son pick. Happy to hear other people's opinions and get different views.
Good analysis, agree with all that.

Long way to go, so many kids really develop through this period (see Bontempelli), and Finn has already come a long way in 6 months. Who knows how high up he can get, but he's no lower than a 2nd rounder thats for sure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#25 Finn Maginness

Maginness was one of his teams’ best midfielders, winning 15 possessions and five clearances on the day. His impact defensively in the first half was eye-catching, and he finished with a game-high nine tackles. He was exceptionally clean at ground level and his foot skills were noticeable. Maginness demonstrated composure with ball in hand and his vision was impressive, with the classy midfielder finding a teammate out of the corner of his eye in the third term. He would hit the scoreboard late in the fourth term when he ran into an open goal after running hard into space.

#25 Finn Maginness

Maginness was one of his teams’ best midfielders, winning 15 possessions and five clearances on the day. His impact defensively in the first half was eye-catching, and he finished with a game-high nine tackles. He was exceptionally clean at ground level and his foot skills were noticeable. Maginness demonstrated composure with ball in hand and his vision was impressive, with the classy midfielder finding a teammate out of the corner of his eye in the third term. He would hit the scoreboard late in the fourth term when he ran into an open goal after running hard into space.
5 clearances, 9 tackles, and clean at ground level - hopefully an inside mid to partner Worpel for many years and much success.

Maginness would be close to ready round 1 2020 and if we also get someone like Serong or Flanders with our top 10 pick, both mids who could play forw, it would quickly improve our mid with Tom Mitchell coming back, our midfield could go from a weakness to a strength pretty quickly.
Looks like a midfielder heavy draft year. I'm hoping we keep our first rounder and take someone like Flanders.

Maginness would be close to ready round 1 2020 and if we also get someone like Serong or Flanders with our top 10 pick, both mids who could play forw, it would quickly improve our mid with Tom Mitchell coming back, our midfield could go from a weakness to a strength pretty quickly.

From watching the Metro V Country game, I reckon it might be difficult for any other Metro midfielder to shine through the carnival with how Anderson and Rowell are playing. No doubt they're superstars in the making but they do love to share the ball with each other, not so much with others.

I watched all 3 of them play in a Scotch V Carey game, they all played midfield (Rowell and Anderson for Carey, Maginness for Scotch). Rowell looks like he will be an Ollie Wines type, play midfield from the get go and do well, looks to have a pretty mature body and just gets heaps of the footy and disposes of it well. He is a level above the others at APS level at this point. Anderson is smooth mover strong overhead and massive kick, probably most upside of the three (pendlebury like). Carey smashed Scotch but Maginness played pretty well against those two without much support. He is very athletic (very good 400m runner) and looked composed with the ball, good overhead and nice kick. Plays like Anderson just doesn't get it as much. Anderson and MAginness look like they have more improvement in them and will fill out nicely once in an AFL environment. Wouldn't be surprised if Finn ends up much like his father, a tallish athletic dependable back flanker.

From watching the Metro V Country game, I reckon it might be difficult for any other Metro midfielder to shine through the carnival with how Anderson and Rowell are playing. No doubt they're superstars in the making but they do love to share the ball with each other, not so much with others.

Sounds like Auskick not the National Championships.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back