bigmaxi

All Australian
Nov 11, 2006
hampton
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roosters
Can someone please help me , totally confused myself by looking up father and son rules. My heard now hurts and nursing a cold beer I am reaching out for an answer. Can we keep our number one pick in the draft and get Maginess and Graham?

Can someone please help me , totally confused myself by looking up father and son rules. My heard now hurts and nursing a cold beer I am reaching out for an answer. Can we keep our number one pick in the draft and get Maginess and Graham?
Yes.

When selecting a F/S or Academy Player, the Club can do so at any Pick.

The F/S & Academy bit is really only relevant when it comes to the ‘discount’ offered to the Club. From memory, the discount is 20%, but could be 25%.

Each Pick (up to 4th Round?) has been allocated a points value. I.e. Pick 1 = 3000 points; Pick 2 = 2900 points etc. (made up numbers, but that doesn’t matter).

So, let’s say Melbourne select Maginness with Pick 30, which = 1,000 Points. If we want to select Maginness but hadn’t yet done so, we have to match their bid by way of points, minus the 20% discount. So, we are bound to use our next Pick - let’s say Pick 34 - but we only have to amass 800 points (due to discount).

I’ve just made up all the figures in this post, but that’s about how it functions.

To answer your question: YES - so long as we use our 1st BEFORE another club selects Maginness or Tom Graham, we then use the NEXT pick & keep adding NEXT + NEXT etc. until we’ve amassed an equal number of points, minus the discount.

if they get bid on after our pick then yes

Anderson has 1 Oakleigh game where he has over 40 touches and Finn, in the same round (I think), had a stinker. Take away that round, they’ve performed at a comparable level.

I think that gives you the answer though. Anderson has unbelievable games of footy in him, where Finn will have that consistency I feel.

That said, they're both very much modern midfielders. Finn seems taller than his listed 187cm and Anderson is 190-191cm.

For mine, Anderson is the standout #1 this year.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
I think that gives you the answer though. Anderson has unbelievable games of footy in him, where Finn will have that consistency I feel.

That said, they're both very much modern midfielders. Finn seems taller than his listed 187cm and Anderson is 190-191cm.

For mine, Anderson is the standout #1 this year.
No doubt 👍🏽

How many sons does Crawf have? And Burgoyne?

Crawford has four sons. They're still a fair way off even consideration as the oldest (Charlie) is only 13 and the youngest are eight.

Burgoyne has two sons, Ky and Percy. They're eligible under the current father-son rules to play for Port Adelaide and Hawthorn and, again, they're still a fair way off consideration for selection.

mustang

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds United
Crawford has four sons. They're still a fair way off even consideration as the oldest (Charlie) is only 13 and the youngest are eight.

Burgoyne has two sons, Ky and Percy. They're eligible under the current father-son rules to play for Port Adelaide and Hawthorn and, again, they're still a fair way off consideration for selection.

Amazing that Crawf and Graham are the only ones with sons from the 90’s.

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Is there any indication that Crawf's eldest plays football?

Surely by now at 13 we should know if he will be any good or not.

bigmaxi

All Australian
Nov 11, 2006
hampton
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roosters
Yes.

When selecting a F/S or Academy Player, the Club can do so at any Pick.

The F/S & Academy bit is really only relevant when it comes to the ‘discount’ offered to the Club. From memory, the discount is 20%, but could be 25%.

Each Pick (up to 4th Round?) has been allocated a points value. I.e. Pick 1 = 3000 points; Pick 2 = 2900 points etc. (made up numbers, but that doesn’t matter).

So, let’s say Melbourne select Maginness with Pick 30, which = 1,000 Points. If we want to select Maginness but hadn’t yet done so, we have to match their bid by way of points, minus the 20% discount. So, we are bound to use our next Pick - let’s say Pick 34 - but we only have to amass 800 points (due to discount).

I’ve just made up all the figures in this post, but that’s about how it functions.

To answer your question: YES - so long as we use our 1st BEFORE another club selects Maginness or Tom Graham, we then use the NEXT pick & keep adding NEXT + NEXT etc. until we’ve amassed an equal number of points, minus the discount.
Thanks for this , got it now.👍

Swans? Who?

Blakey is meant to be very good, by all accounts, and the Swans obtained him through father-son. I can't think of anyone else who might fit the bill.

Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Blakey is meant to be very good, by all accounts, and the Swans obtained him through father-son. I can't think of anyone else who might fit the bill.
Blakey's dad played for Norf. Swans picked him up because he was in their academy because he lives in Sydney because his dad is an assistant coach at the $tains. It's f&$king bs

Blakey's dad played for Norf. Swans picked him up because he was in their academy because he lives in Sydney because his dad is an assistant coach at the $tains. It's f&$king bs
Didn't he also play for Sydney though?

*was Fitzroy he also played for - knew there was another club.

toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
This is the article about Tom if anyone is interested. Funny picture of a really young Luke Hodge in the article too :)

Dad's athleticism, tick! Sounds promising, but then all of these puff pieces make the young players sound like superstars.

It's all up to how well they can develop what he has, assuming we pick him up. Dad could read a game, just couldn't kick, and almost always played undersized on the gorillas.

Changes to the game have likely helped things on that front though.

We've got to be due in a massive way on the father-son front either way. Seriously, no-one could have predicted the shitty football genes our ex-players have passed on to their sons, almost to an individual.

toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Have the Swans ever had a F/S? They passed on Dunkley, can't think of many others in recent times

Maybe not F/S, but I hear their current power forward is a distant, fatter relative of that Lance Franklin guy who used to run around terrorising everyone while wearing Brown and Gold.

Maybe not F/S, but I hear their current power forward is a distant, fatter relative of that Lance Franklin guy who used to run around terrorising everyone while wearing Brown and Gold.

He's older, fatter and balder.

Was Tom Mitchell FS?
Duh - how did I forget that one. He was, chose them ahead of Carlton. Might have had something to do with his dad working at the Swans at the time.

Other than that,they haven't had much F/S luck.....the academy on the other hand though......

Nov 28, 2013
Home
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Box Hill Hawks
Duh - how did I forget that one. He was, chose them ahead of Carlton. Might have had something to do with his dad working at the Swans at the time.

Other than that,they haven't had much F/S luck.....the academy on the other hand though......

I think Darryn Cresswell has a couple of boys that are considered fairly handy.

Back