Mega Thread The Father-Son Mega thread - 2019

Looking at stats again, I see Tom Graham has had a couple of good weeks. I know he was off the radar, but could a couple of good games put him back in the fray?

Not a father-son, but Angus Hanrahan has been killing it in the last few weeks for Sandringham.

Gaston

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2014
in the outer with anticipation
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I know football is ruthless now and certain aspects no longer exist.
However, Maguinness is a 3rd generation Hawk.
Do the remainder of the comp play fair and allow us to grab him with a 2nd or 3rd rounder
or do they be stupid and simply make unambitious plays for the kid so we use a higher draft pick?

I know football is ruthless now and certain aspects no longer exist.
However, Maguinness is a 3rd generation Hawk.
Do the remainder of the comp play fair and allow us to grab him with a 2nd or 3rd rounder
or do they be stupid and simply make unambitious plays for the kid so we use a higher draft pick?
Neither.

Opposition clubs will bid for him where they assess his true value to be. They’re not going to gift him to us for unders because of family history.

Likewise they’d be fools to bid early just to try and make us pay more. Hawthorn don’t do these things on emotion. It’s all pragmatic. If the cost to match exceeds where we rank him then it’s likely we’d pass. (Only exception here is if we’ve made a commitment to him that we’d match any bid)

If they bid really early then they better be prepared to be stuck with him.

Clubs will bid wherever they value him.

The way we dealt with the Bombers bidding on Mosquito shows clubs that we won't budge from our valuations.
You make a great point ...
Dildo may have done us a massive favour long term.

You make a great point ...
Dildo may have done us a massive favour long term.
It will make them think twice, that's for sure.

In any event, I can't recall a time when a club has bid early on a F/S or NGA kid and its come back to bite them. Dogs went with pick 25 on Josh Dunkley and Swans didn't match, but he's shown to be a star.

Can't recall a time when a gun F/S has slipped way down the draft either.

Clubs will all roughly value Finn around about the same level, so no bidding early will happen so force Hawks to waste points...

I almost want a bid at pick 18 to come in. We then have a first round selection and we use pick 26, and 45 shifts to 49

Would mean we've either used 2 first round picks this year, or allow flexibility to trade out this year's pick

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

So I suppose we do a first round pick swap with the Giants as part of the Whitfield deal

Then it'll be a real shame when the Giants (if they make a Prelim) bid on Finn forcing us to match

dcutter

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
hypothetically, if we trade our second round pick and someone bids on finn at say 15 - 25 - can we still pick him up in the 3rd round?

hypothetically, if we trade our second round pick and someone bids on finn at say 15 - 25 - can we still pick him up in the 3rd round?

Yes.

I believe we can go into arrears points wise even into next year's draft if needs be.

Slick

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Berwick
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Tom Graham is an interesting one, he's started playing some solid football for Oakleigh. I'd suggest he'll still get passed over in the drafts, but would be worth a shot for Box Hill to pick him up and see how he develops.

StalkingHawk

Team Captain
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not a smart move considering our 2 NGA players likely to be top end picks next year

Actually I don’t think that impacts how smart it is.

The only thing we need to worry about with ‘pick debt’ is how far our picks slide back.

That’s not really related to NGA players, because we would absolutely trade our any 1st or 2nd round picks likely to be used to pay for them, for multiple 3rd round picks.

Example:

We have pick 10
NGA/Finn gets picked at pick 9
We match with pick 10, plus extra’s from our 2nd rd pick etc.

This would never ever happen.

We would trade pick 10 plus our 2nd round for pick 8 or higher, so we get 2 1st round players.

GWS will do this, maybe with us, this year.

Sydney did it last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

syl97

Team Captain
Jan 20, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We have pick 10
NGA/Finn gets picked at pick 9
We match with pick 10, plus extra’s from our 2nd rd pick etc.

This would never ever happen.

We would trade pick 10 plus our 2nd round for pick 8 or higher, so we get 2 1st round players.

GWS will do this, maybe with us, this year.

Sydney did it last year

I read that the AFL is going to stop clubs doing this - https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-to-make-changes-to-academy-draft-rules-20190710-p525yi.html

StalkingHawk

Team Captain
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah, not sure how they do that tho. Also that had the effect of trading back in to a 2nd round pick.

I think GWS will just try to get their picks before green

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#23 Finn Maginness
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro | Balanced Midfielder
23/02/2001 | 187cm | 80kg

The underrated midfielder missed out on being included in the State Victorian Metro Academy, but has not let that get him down, performing strongly across the NAB League and school seasons, and working his way up the boards with some strong performances against the best players around the country. He has a nice sidestep that can get him out of trouble and wins a lot of the ball in close, with a few areas to iron out such as his kicking, but he has some great developing traits and plenty of future development. Most importantly, he can win the ball on the inside and extract it out, but can also play an outside role too.
July Ranking: #30
Last month: Really showed off his defensive capabilities at the national championships, averaging 18.3 disposals, 3.5 marks, 7.5 tackles, 4.3 inside 50s and 3.8 clearances to continue to prove a point after missing out on the Vic Metro Academy. Will likely play a key role in Sandringham’s finals campaign with a number of others injured.

Does anyone know what happens to future picks if a club goes into debt in the previous draft? Do the future picks just slide down the order? What happens if the future first and second round picks have been traded?
Pretty sure you can't trade your future 1st + 2nd, it's either trade your future 1st & keep other future picks or trade the other future picks & keep future 1st.

As for the first part, I believe they slide down to where the points value would have them sit. I.e. Pick 18 might become Pick 24 etc.

Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Pretty sure you can't trade your future 1st + 2nd, it's either trade your future 1st & keep other future picks or trade the other future picks & keep future 1st.

As for the first part, I believe they slide down to where the points value would have them sit. I.e. Pick 18 might become Pick 24 etc.

I think you can trade both future picks as long as you trade back into the 1st or 2nd round (which you can do in either trade period).

Let's assume a club is in debt by 150 points from the previous draft and have both their first and second round picks available in the next draft. Is it the first or second or another pick that slides 300 points?

Back