Mega Thread The Father-Son Mega thread - 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Maginness is sort of a hybrid mid, has traits from all sorts of mids but doesn’t quite meet any of them. Josh Kennedy from swans would have to be the closest I can think of, he didn’t look like a major clearance player at the start of the year playing slightly more outside but I think the more inside role suits him better. He isn’t very quick or atleast doesn’t use it and relies more on his strong core to stand up in tackles rather than avoid them with speed or explosiveness, he gets across the ground extremely well and is a good link up player a bit like Pendlebury although his kicking isn’t to that standard.

The first time I saw him this year he instantly went in my top 30 and currently sits in the 15-18 range and another big game could see him go higher aswell, think someone touched on it before but he is exactly the type Essendon is after and if he was in the open draft he would be one I would target.

The question will be on his improvement with his kicking at the next level and if he will be able to stand up in tackles at AFL level against bigger mids than him where as he is bigger than most mids at Nab League level. Personally think he becomes a very good player regardless because of his personality and work ethic as I’ve been able to take good things out of some of his quieter games aswell.

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Maginness is sort of a hybrid mid, has traits from all sorts of mids but doesn’t quite meet any of them. Josh Kennedy from swans would have to be the closest I can think of, he didn’t look like a major clearance player at the start of the year playing slightly more outside but I think the more inside role suits him better. He isn’t very quick or atleast doesn’t use it and relies more on his strong core to stand up in tackles rather than avoid them with speed or explosiveness, he gets across the ground extremely well and is a good link up player a bit like Pendlebury although his kicking isn’t to that standard.

The first time I saw him this year he instantly went in my top 30 and currently sits in the 15-18 range and another big game could see him go higher aswell, think someone touched on it before but he is exactly the type Essendon is after and if he was in the open draft he would be one I would target.

The question will be on his improvement with his kicking at the next level and if he will be able to stand up in tackles at AFL level against bigger mids than him where as he is bigger than most mids at Nab League level. Personally think he becomes a very good player regardless because of his personality and work ethic as I’ve been able to take good things out of some of his quieter games aswell.

You say his kick isn't up to Pendlebury but you say he is a bit like Pendles. Could you elaborate a bit, including rating his disposal by foot.

I have heard that Clarkson isn't as keen on him as some others (just what i heard).

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Would you expect Essendon to use pick 5 on him?

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
You say his kick isn't up to Pendlebury but you say he is a bit like Pendles. Could you elaborate a bit, including rating his disposal by foot.

I have heard that Clarkson isn't as keen on him as some others (just what i heard).
He can be pretty classy in traffic and he gets around the ground to be a good marking option. His kicking under pressure can be iffy but I wouldn’t say his action is bad.

Brishawk At this stage no but a big game on Saturday could see him potentially get a bid in the top 10

Would you expect Essendon to use pick 5 on him?

As someone who has been watching more and more of the NAB League and Under 18s where possible, it's unlikely but it also wouldn't be a surprise. He's comfortably in that next rung of players after the two standouts where there isn't much splitting them. Clubs always say that you never pick for position you pick on talent, but when there isn't much splitting guys talent wise you definitely pick for position and he's an Essendon need.

If Essendon get the 5, they'll probably have a ping at Tom Green from the GWS Academy if no one has made a bid at that point. After that, anybody's guess. All the other decent, good production inside mids around his level don't quite have his size.

Coathanger

Club Legend
Dec 1, 2006
Cairns
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NY Yankees,Virginia Cavaliers
I think if we lay off the Kool-Aid for a minute,the lad isn't a first round pick.
We match the bid in the second round as planned.

I think if we lay off the Kool-Aid for a minute,the lad isn't a first round pick.
We match the bid in the second round as planned.

What are you basing this off?

Literally everyone that writes about the draft has him first round based on quality, and rising. Might be hard from Cairns, but if you ever get a chance to watch him you'll see exactly why.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What are you basing this off?

Literally everyone that writes about the draft has him first round based on quality, and rising. Might be hard from Cairns, but if you ever get a chance to watch him you'll see exactly why.

I have seen Finn play 5 times now, and last week was most impressive. He covered the ground better than anyone out there, his clearance work was elite and when the game was up for grabs he tore it apart, he was a clear clear level above the standard. At the huddle he was a monster, given I am only 177cm most of the bigger mids look like monsters, but this kid is wide, his shoulders are a carbon copy of a young Josh Kennedy. The comparisons to Kennedy are spot on, but I would say Finn is a bit more explosive and smoother across the ground.

Outside of Rowell and Noah, I don't think there is a better mid in the NAB.

I have seen Finn play 5 times now, and last week was most impressive. He covered the ground better than anyone out there, his clearance work was elite and when the game was up for grabs he tore it apart, he was a clear clear level above the standard. At the huddle he was a monster, given I am only 177cm most of the bigger mids look like monsters, but this kid is wide, his shoulders are a carbon copy of a young Josh Kennedy. The comparisons to Kennedy are spot on, but I would say Finn is a bit more explosive and smoother across the ground.

He's definitely Kennedy-esque. That's 100% the comparison I'd draw.

Listed as 187cm but he's probably more like 190cm at this point.

Outside of Rowell based on his sheer ability and production, I would say that his sheer size and physical tools puts him above all the other shorter midfielders in the NAB League. Interstate, Tom Green from the GWS academy is definitely the better prospect along with maybe Deven Robertson from WA but not many others.

Adrian Dodoro

Team Captain
Jan 21, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We have not had a mid like Finn in the Clarkson era. It is true that he is similar to Kennedy and Clarkson was not in love with Kennedy, nor does he drink the competition's 'Big-Bodied-Mid' Kool-Aid. But it HAS to be said that Finn looks a lot better than Kennedy did in his draft year. He is not the best kick, and in the Clarkson era we have only used big picks on silkier players, but he is a much better kick than Kennedy was, which was why we sent him to Sydney.

The most 'Clarkson' player in the draft is Devon Robertson by a mile; kind, hard-working kid who has a mean streak on the field and leadership qualities. he even had a Hodge beer-belly last year. We will be keeping our first draft pick for him. But if we can bid on Finn we will, he is simply too good. We aren't letting this one go to Sydney that's for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adrian Dodoro

Team Captain
Jan 21, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
From what you say, if a bid came early, we'd still get a steal if forced to use pick 10/11?

We really will not see a bid early. After Rowell, Anderson there is Young, Serong, Kemp, Green, Ash. McAsey is going to be super early because he is the best tall barring Luke Jackson (who I think will bolt up the draft). Then Robertson, Jackson, Henry from WA. Then Stephens and Gould from SA who I rate higher than Finn.

No stress about Finn coming in before our first pick.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons

So you rate him higher or as high as Tom Green?

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
“Drinking the Kool-aid” has a very specific historical context that simply doesn’t translate to “Drinking the cordial”. So you can cross that one off your lifelong irritants’ list ;)
I know the history of the term but it still annoys me when people here use it. FWIW I have no issue with 'drinking the cordial'. This obviously would have to be drank from a shoe though ;)

Back