Mega Thread The Father-Son Mega thread - 2019

Feb 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
DCowboys, ManU, Celtics, Blackhawks
We have him covered with our first pick don't we if we had to use it? Hoping we don't have to.

According to this table, if Finn was bid on at say Pick 4 (Rowell, Anderson, Green at 1 2 3), then we need to find 1,526 points (2,034 minus 25%). Pick 11 is worth 1,329, so our 2nd round pick would lose the balance in points of 197 (1,526 minus 1,329). If our second pick is Pick 29, then those 653 points become 456 (653 minus 197) and would drop our 2nd pick to around pick 38/39.

If he is bid on at Pick 6, then we only need 1,313 (1,751 minus 25%), so Pick 11 or a couple of picks in the late 20's would be all it would cost us.

westhawk

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2006
perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We have not had a mid like Finn in the Clarkson era. It is true that he is similar to Kennedy and Clarkson was not in love with Kennedy, nor does he drink the competition's 'Big-Bodied-Mid' Kool-Aid. But it HAS to be said that Finn looks a lot better than Kennedy did in his draft year. He is not the best kick, and in the Clarkson era we have only used big picks on silkier players, but he is a much better kick than Kennedy was, which was why we sent him to Sydney.

The most 'Clarkson' player in the draft is Devon Robertson by a mile; kind, hard-working kid who has a mean streak on the field and leadership qualities. he even had a Hodge beer-belly last year. We will be keeping our first draft pick for him. But if we can bid on Finn we will, he is simply too good. We aren't letting this one go to Sydney that's for sure.
Getting Finn and Devon Robertson would be huge. Both going to be guns with great leadership.

Muffasa

Debutant
Jun 8, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Haven’t seen enough of Green tbh.. I’d be lying if I said I could form enough of a view.
Watching Allies v Metro and the Champs this year, Finn manned Green at most stoppages. Green was BOG - 33 touches, 10 clearances, 1 goal. Finn was Metro's best mid that day and is a better mover than Green, but not in the same class IMO. Green is the best inside/clearance mid in the draft.

Feb 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
DCowboys, ManU, Celtics, Blackhawks
Just a question with picks and points. If he is bid before our first round pick say 1 before, we would have to use said first rounder. But with discount we would have change. Does our next pick move up or not?

Yes, my understanding is that the leftover points would be added to our next pick, and that pick would move up the order.

In your example, say he is bid on at Pick 10 (1,395 points). With the 25% discount we need 1,046 points. Pick 11 is valued at 1,329 leaving 283 surplus points. Add these to Pick 29 (653 + 283 = 936). 936 points moves our second pick up to Pick 20 instead of Pick 29.

I could be wrong, but that's how I read it working.

Sep 3, 2009
Rosebery
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Are there any draft watchers that have Finn in the top 10? All my reading says there is a clear top 2, a clear top 10, then he is in the next batch, most put him at 15 - 20.

I would not have Finn rated in the top 10, nor would i expect a bid to come there. 15-25, with an emphasis on the 15-20 portion is fair, and we can probably expect a bid between 11-20- depending on who ends up with what picks of course.

According to this table, if Finn was bid on at say Pick 4 (Rowell, Anderson, Green at 1 2 3), then we need to find 1,526 points (2,034 minus 25%). Pick 11 is worth 1,329, so our 2nd round pick would lose the balance in points of 197 (1,526 minus 1,329). If our second pick is Pick 29, then those 653 points become 456 (653 minus 197) and would drop our 2nd pick to around pick 38/39.

If he is bid on at Pick 6, then we only need 1,313 (1,751 minus 25%), so Pick 11 or a couple of picks in the late 20's would be all it would cost us.

View attachment 744613
Thanks that is very helpful. Appreciate it.

stemline

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2001
AFL Club
Hawthorn
For those inclined, you could spend the day at Princes Park tomorrow and see -

11am - Tom Graham (Oakleigh) v Finn Maginness (Sandringham)

1:30pm - Connor Downie & Todd Garner (Eastern) v Harrison Pepper (Gippsland)

Last edited:

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
We have not had a mid like Finn in the Clarkson era. It is true that he is similar to Kennedy and Clarkson was not in love with Kennedy, nor does he drink the competition's 'Big-Bodied-Mid' Kool-Aid. But it HAS to be said that Finn looks a lot better than Kennedy did in his draft year. He is not the best kick, and in the Clarkson era we have only used big picks on silkier players, but he is a much better kick than Kennedy was, which was why we sent him to Sydney.

The most 'Clarkson' player in the draft is Devon Robertson by a mile; kind, hard-working kid who has a mean streak on the field and leadership qualities. he even had a Hodge beer-belly last year. We will be keeping our first draft pick for him. But if we can bid on Finn we will, he is simply too good. We aren't letting this one go to Sydney that's for sure.

yes we have, Jordan Lewis, why do people forget we had one of the best tall mids in the comp?...... also Deven Robertson is a carbon copy of Tom Mitchell and they would just get in each others way.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Thanks. Do I just type in Oakleigh v Sandringham on YouTube? I checked Foxtel but it's not showing there. Is there any other platform that will be showing the game?

Edit: thanks in advance
Here is a link to it mate

A actually see Dylan Stephenson as a better fit when you consider the make up of our midfield already .

Back