Mega Thread The Father-Son Mega thread - 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

First genuine concern from a few is the Blues but I can’t see Sos bidding on Finn. They want a small forward and there will be nice ones there at 9. Freo at 10 is no concern either. If Kemp is there at 11 I think we will take him and get Finn when the Suns bid on him.
Didn't RnL rule out the Blues from making an early bid?

thats the roar a northern NSW newspaper website if im not mistaken? mostly concerning Rugby and Rugby League for context.

if there is a bid before 11 im not 100% sure if we match it?

Particularly not if Kemp is still on the table like this Phantom Draft is suggesting.

Pretty sure any residual points are added to your next pick and you move up in the draft order.

For example, if Finn was bid on at 10:
Pick 10 worth1395 less 20% = 1116.

We have pick 11, which will become 12 with Green (GWS Academy). Pick 12 worth 1268 pts.

Residual: 1268 less 1116 = 152

The 152 points are added to our next pick - which at that stage will be pick 31. Pick 31 = 606 points + 152 = 758.

758 points equates to pick 25 (756 points).

So we give up pick 11, get Finn and move up fm 31 to 25.

Anyone have a different interpretation

Would be nice for us if it worked that way, but it doesn't.

The pick you use slides backwards in the draft by the number of points required. So if pick 12 is worth 1268 points and we need to use 1116 of them, our pick 12 is now only worth 152 points. Therefore it is now pick 60 as it comes after pick 59 (value 158 points) and before current pick 60 (146 points).

If the pick you have is worth less points than you need, then it goes to last spot in the draft, and then the remaining points come from your next pick (and that pick then slides back the required number of points).

Would be nice for us if it worked that way, but it doesn't.

The pick you use slides backwards in the draft by the number of points required. So if pick 12 is worth 1268 points and we need to use 1116 of them, our pick 12 is now only worth 152 points. Therefore it is now pick 60 as it comes after pick 59 (value 158 points) and before current pick 60 (146 points).

If the pick you have is worth less points than you need, then it goes to last spot in the draft, and then the remaining points come from your next pick (and that pick then slides back the required number of points).
I'm pretty sure that if you only use 1 pick, you don't slip back in the draft / get another. Which makes sense, given it's a 1 for 1 swap.

Only if you use more than 1 pick does the next pick move backwards.

I'm pretty sure that if you only use 1 pick, you don't slip back in the draft / get another. Which makes sense, given it's a 1 for 1 swap.

Only if you use more than 1 pick does the next pick move backwards.
No, if your pick is not worth enough points you need to get the remainder of the points from your next pick. If you don’t need all the points that pick is worth it moves back. If you need all of those points then you go to you next pick for the remainder and that one slides back.

According to the AFL site

Father-Son And Academy Bidding Nominations Lodged Thursday, 31 October 2019, 2.00pm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trying to find a definitive answer about the two different F/S deadlines and the 2019 NAB AFL Draft booklet provides the following guidelines:

Father-Son And Academy Bidding Nominations Lodged - Thursday, 31 October 2019, 2.00pm
A Club can nominate an eligible Father-Son draftee, with the player’s written consent, for the upcoming NAB AFL Draft.

Father-Son Primary List Nominations Lodged - Friday, 22 November 2019 by 2.00pm
At the National Draft meeting in conjunction with Academy bidding nominations, any Club may “bid” for the player and if matched by the Father-Son Club, the Father-Son Club will forfeit one or more subsequent selections, to the value of the points required, in order to secure the player. If the Club nominating the Father-Son player declines to match the bid, the Club with the successful bid uses that selection to secure the player. If no bid is made by another Club, the Club that nominated the Father-Son eligible player will forfeit its last selection in the draft.

Father-Son Pre-Selected Rookie player nominations submitted - Thursday, 28 November 2019, 10.30pm
Father-Son players not nominated for the bidding system can be pre-selected prior to the Rookie Draft by that Club if they have nominated for but not been selected at the National or Pre-Season Draft.

Clear as mud right? I interpret this to mean that the names of all eligible Father-Son draftees must have been lodged by 31st October (with player's consent) if the Club wishes to avail themselves of the Father-Son rules. The second nomination date of 22nd November is if the Club wants the opportunity to match a bid during the National Draft to secure the player on its primary list.

Let's say the club was interested in securing a Father-Son eligible draftee on its rookie list but not on its primary list, they would need to firstly nominate the player before the 31st October deadline but then not nominate them for primary listing before 22nd November. If the player didn't get selected by any other club during the National Draft then the club can pre-select that player prior to the rookie draft. So, hypothetically, the club could look at doing something like this with Tom Graham (as an example) if they saw him as a potential rookie but not a primary list draftee. The risk is that if the player gets selected by another club during the National Draft the F/S club doesn't have the right to match.

Does this make sense? You would think that the list of F/S eligible players nominated by the 31st October deadline would be published by the AFL somewhere.

We know exactly what he is worth and won't pay a cent over.

It's really up to the other clubs now...

This is the part I don't understand.
He can't be worth a pick number, simply a matter of whether we like another player more...no?
It's not like 'he's definitely not worth pick 8, but is certainly worth pick 15 -18!'
Those are just arbitrary numbers.
And I'm not sure ANYBODY here knows if we like him more or less than the 10 other options that will be called on the night in the first round before we get our go.

He can't be worth a pick number, simply a matter of whether we like another player more...no?
It's not like 'he's definitely not worth pick 8, but is certainly worth pick 15 -18!'
And I'm not sure ANYBODY here knows if we like him more or less than the 10 other options that will be called on the night in the first round before we get our go.
Think about it like this. If there are 12 player we rate better than Finn and freo calls him out at pick 10, do you think we match knowing there are at least three players we rate better still available?

its not that hard a concept to understand.

We hold pick 11. If we don't rate him inside the 11, then we won't match a bid because we think a better player would be available at our pick

No sentiment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back