Mega Thread The Father-Son Mega thread - 2019

Sep 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
There are no other teams
Yeah I'd be surprised if that happened also, think we'll get him with our 30 + 42 points after he gets bid on at some stage after our first selection.
That is the most likely outcome and one I hope comes true.

I expect a bid around the 15 to 20 mark for Finn, the kid has come home with a bullet.

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I selfishly hope we don't father-son him just for the melts.

I actually wonder if by not F/S nominating him that we reduce his perceived value and maybe get him cheaper still. Let's gamble.

I selfishly hope we don't father-son him just for the melts.

I actually wonder if by not F/S nominating him that we reduce his perceived value and maybe get him cheaper still. Let's gamble.
We'll probs still F/S him - we'll just do it at the 3rd or 4th absolute final deadline without anymore deadlines between then & the 5th deadline, which is only 2 deadlines short of the 5th last opportunity to deadline the deadline...

I predicted we would not take Tambling in the 2004 Draft when almost everyone was convinced we would.

I met Luke Hodge at a training camp at North Hobart in 2002 and predicted he would be a Premiership captain, long before anyone else.

I predicted 4 years ago that the Handbagger coach would be found out as a fraud, I was spot on.

Want anymore?

My point being anyone can make a prediction, it’s just smart to not state it as fact.
Pffffttttt, that’s nothing.
Once I walked on water.
Then I decided to make water into wine.
BUT for my final trick, I pulled out a nice little resurrection number that fooled everyone!

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
I predicted we would not take Tambling in the 2004 Draft when almost everyone was convinced we would.

I met Luke Hodge at a training camp at North Hobart in 2002 and predicted he would be a Premiership captain, long before anyone else.

I predicted 4 years ago that the Handbagger coach would be found out as a fraud, I was spot on.

Want anymore?

My point being anyone can make a prediction, it’s just smart to not state it as fact.

Not about you man, I'm talking about the calls Hodgey had made that were wrong.

Mar 15, 2009
Scarborough WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
All Blacks Green Bay
Once I walked on water.
BUT for my final trick, I pulled out a nice little resurrection number that fooled everyone!

You might of did this, but it was I that predicted it.

sohsam

All Australian
Oct 5, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The best possible outcome will be if we happened to rate Finn a top 10 prospect and we get to use pick 11 on another highly rated player before matching a bid on Finn. I'm really excited about the depth in this draft as evidenced by the likes of Gould, Rivers, Sharp and Taylor being rated 20, 24, 25 and 29 respectively by Cal Twomey. My glass is 3/4 full. Come on down the next James Worpel who we drafted with pick 45.
Exactly, if we do not rate high draft picks nor Finn and think can get the next Worpel x 3 with later picks is the way to go. You can even split pick 11 in say 23 & 25, end up with 23,25,30,42. Whoever the next Worpel maybe, for example- Stephens (big bodied midfielder if miss out on Finn)/Sharp (Wingman if cannot get stephens). We do not know who the next Worpel maybe but I take it is someone with a late draft pick who ends up being a better player than the more fancied top 10 player everyone talked about before the draft.

Once I walked on water.
Spangher, is that you?

Falco131415

Team Captain
Jun 19, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Here's a curly one:-
what if Dean Anderson had of played those 12 more games for us & we had to use our only points for Noah.
Would of this meant we would miss out on Finn or would we have tried like crazy in the trade period to accumulate as many picks as possible to match?
Just putting it out there for interests sake.

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Want anymore?

You predicted number 1 draft pick in a super draft would be a gun?

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Each to their own but I'll never understand this mentality

It’s pretty simple really. The emotional investment in these boards over things completely out of our control is far, far too high. It continually results in over the top blow outs that are undeniably entertaining. Hence, the admitted selfish enjoyment.

Of course Finn is ranked for us and unless we thought he was a complete dud (which is doubtful) then we’ll F/S him to get the discount. And we then pick him as late as possible, even we’ll down in the picks if he keeps falling, because the rules give us first dibs. This has been obvious since the rules we’re written.

Anyways, I find the melting entertaining.

You predicted number 1 draft pick in a super draft would be a gun?
To be fair, predicting a number 1 pick to be a gun is harder than it sounds. The last 20 years, only Riewoldt, Hodge and Whitfield have truly been elite. Walsh looks like he'll break into that group. Not a great strike rate.

Pretty sure it was only considered a super draft afterwards.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
It’s pretty simple really. The emotional investment in these boards over things completely out of our control is far, far too high. It continually results in over the top blow outs that are undeniably entertaining. Hence, the admitted selfish enjoyment.

Of course Finn is ranked for us and unless we thought he was a complete dud (which is doubtful) then we’ll F/S him to get the discount. And we then pick him as late as possible, even we’ll down in the picks if he keeps falling, because the rules give us first dibs. This has been obvious since the rules we’re written.

Anyways, I find the melting entertaining.

I haven't been on BigFooty for almost 2 weeks and this is the best and most accurate comment I've read since 😂

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
To be fair, predicting a number 1 pick to be a gun is harder than it sounds. The last 20 years, only Riewoldt, Hodge and Whitfield have truly been elite. Walsh looks like he'll break into that group. Not a great strike rate.

Pretty sure it was only considered a super draft afterwards.
Nah everyone knew it was a super draft before hand. Hodge wa s already a leader at 17 and was picked in part for his leadership. Not really a stretch to predict he would be a captain. I’m sure he was the or Gigi all chosen one too 😉

Nah everyone knew it was a super draft before hand. Hodge wa s already a leader at 17 and was picked in part for his leadership. Not really a stretch to predict he would be a captain. I’m sure he was the or Gigi all chosen one too 😉
In Hodge's case, it was pretty easy to see that he'd be the messiah! ;)

For other number 1 picks though, it really hasn't been a great success rate.

Here's a curly one:-
what if Dean Anderson had of played those 12 more games for us & we had to use our only points for Noah.
Would of this meant we would miss out on Finn or would we have tried like crazy in the trade period to accumulate as many picks as possible to match?
Just putting it out there for interests sake.
Or alternatively:
when Dean Anderson left the hawks to go to the saints he had qualified under the lower f/s threshold of 50 games that was in place at the time. if we knew that the threshold would be moved higher to 100 games and his son would be as 'good' as has been predicted, would we have kept him for 1 more season to ensure access to Noah?

Falco131415

Team Captain
Jun 19, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Or alternatively:
when Dean Anderson left the hawks to go to the saints he had qualified under the lower f/s threshold of 50 games that was in place at the time. if we knew that the threshold would be moved higher to 100 games and his son would be as 'good' as has been predicted, would we have kept him for 1 more season to ensure access to Noah?
You missed my point in this post.
If we could father son both players, how would we have acquired Finn as well in this draft.
How many points/picks would we have needed to get both if we rated Finn fairly high as well.

You missed my point in this post.
If we could father son both players, how would we have acquired Finn as well in this draft.
How many points/picks would we have needed to get both if we rated Finn fairly high as well.
You can into deficit in the next year and the deficit is applied after the first round pick. So we may have had to use say all our picks this year and then our second, third pick next year if we needed that many.

Falco131415

Team Captain
Jun 19, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You can into deficit in the next year and the deficit is applied after the first round pick. So we may have had to use say all our picks this year and then our second, third pick next year if we needed that many.
Cheers for that it can get complicated with picks etc. flying all over the place.

Last edited:
Back