Mega Thread The Father-Son Mega thread - 2019

We'd certainly be keeping it low key ourselves. Nothing good can come of looking too keen.

giphy.gif

hawkermitch

Team Captain
May 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
According to the foxsports afl web page the hawks have as per the article only nominated Finn Maginness and Harrison Pepper for
this years draft as father son and academy selections.

I know Tom Graham would be classified as a long shot as a father son, similar to Todd Garner as academy but I thought they would
possibly nominate them as longer term prospects.

I read somewhere that rookie selections can be made post PSD so who knows...

According to the foxsports afl web page the hawks have as per the article only nominated Finn Maginness and Harrison Pepper for

I know Tom Graham would be classified as a long shot as a father son, similar to Todd Garner as academy but I thought they would

I don't know but perhaps if you nominate a player you're obligated to sign them if no one else bids on them? It could also just be Hawthorn being classy. It would be pretty devastating for a kid to be nominated by a club only to then sit through multiple drafts and still not be on an AFL list at the end of it all.

Oct 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sixers, Exers, GWS Womens
I don't know but perhaps if you nominate a player you're obligated to sign them if no one else bids on them? It could also just be Hawthorn being classy. It would be pretty devastating for a kid to be nominated by a club only to then sit through multiple drafts and still not be on an AFL list at the end of it all.
I think if they fall through past the rookie draft they are automatically signed as a Cat B rookie.

I think if they fall through past the rookie draft they are automatically signed as a Cat B rookie.
Which could mean that we don't rate him high enough to commit to even as just a rookie as it could mean missing out on another rookie selection we rate more.

Was the the early mail draft article? Didn't see any confirmation of nomination. Link?

That's the assumption. I'd be surprised if he was but we simply don't know.

Personally, I'm hoping we get to use our pick 30 before we have to use picks for Finn. Just because he's front and centre on our radar because he's a f/s, doesn't mean the other clubs give a fat rats about him. There's a chance he gets picked up in the 20s but my fingers are crossed he drifts past pick 30.
Wow! I'd almost nailed that prediction. Maybe I am an Oracle after all? ;)

Last edited:
Fingers crossed his old man doesn't get roped into a role with a club who has an academy when he decides to hang up the boots.
The Burgoyne's live in Hughesdale. No club has that as their region.

Percy loves the Hawks, He'll jump at the chance to play with the Hawks

Rememeber, Silk turn down a 4 year deal with the Suns just a few months ago, for a 1 year deal with Hawks

Back