The Facts and Fiction Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't believe Eddie was serious about that 95% cap idea, that is batshit crazy. Surely it's more deflection from how poor his pies are.
Afl are trying to kick us out of Tasmania, we just have an existing contract.
And I can't see us being forced relocation, there'd be bombs set at afl headquarters if that looked on the cards. Afl couldn't even make north move.

Absolutely Eddie is in full on deflection mode. Try to protect bucks by rallying the traditional clubs against the evil northerners. Wont help though and we get their 1st pick hahahaha

I know and agree. Was just putting it out there with regards to your post.

Absolutely Eddie is in full on deflection mode. Try to protect bucks by rallying the traditional clubs against the evil northerners. Wont help though and we get their 1st pick hahahaha

I do like the way GWS has gone about player drafting and retention in contrast to GC. And I won't be upset if/ when you win a flag. Unless it's against us.

Isnt that a plot point of Game of Thrones? :p

All those pies fans having a go at Matthews about maybe quiting.

Herald sun and Eddie is thinking it but because they are losing. What a chicken s**t.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/0738f66fb173985447ba1edbb61ad879

Eddie McGuire says he considered stepping down as Collingwood president after Carlton loss39 minutes ago

Lauren WoodHerald Sun

Adam Treloar goes to bat for Buckley

COLLINGWOOD president Eddie McGuire considered stepping down in the wake of Saturday’s loss to Carlton, and declares there will be some “very strong discussions” held at the Holden Centre this week.

McGuire said the loss — which came after a week of “getting smashed” by the media and other clubs — prompted him to question himself and ponder whether he has done as much as he can in the role, which he has held since 1998.

NATHAN BUCKLEY: PIES ARE GOING NOWHERE

ROBBO: TIME TO ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT THE COACH

SHOT CLOCK FARCE: AFL TO LET FANS DECIDE

After a week of talk surrounding the Giants’ academy entitlements, compounded by the loss, the president admitted he has questioned how much more he can offer.

Must Read

‘Tough love’ can reignite Pies: Treloar

‘No one is happy with where we sit’

Barometer: Tiger eyes early return

The Tackle: likes and dislikes

Blues dig deeper hole for Magpies

“On Saturday night you’re in the rooms and thinking ‘I don’t know if I can do this anymore’. You get attacked,” he said on Triple M today.

“You question yourself.

“You go ‘right, you have done this for 18 years, can you go through it again? Have you got any more ideas?’.

“I look at myself and I go — a lot of the things that I brought to Collingwood when I first came in, have been taken away from me now with equalisation.

"" style="box-sizing: inherit; border: 0px; vertical-align: bottom;">

“I don’t know if I can impact on the club in the way (I once did). I question myself ... and you agonise and you are standing there and your family is around and you look across at people who are killing themselves, the players, the coaches, all those people, and you do, you go away, you drive away and you do have a tear in your eye. Is it frustration — what do you do?

“If I’m not good enough and I can’t contribute, then maybe it is time for somebody to step through. But we will fight and fight and fight.”

President Eddie McGuire after Collingwood’s loss to Carlton. Picture: Wayne Ludbey

McGuire said he “hasn’t been that laid low from the footy for a long, long time” and while he is refusing to blame injuries for Collingwood’s 2-5 start, he has to acknowledge their effect.

“I look at it as a reason and when we go through and make decisions, you take that into effect,” he said.

“But we need to play a four-quarter effort. Whether or not our game plan is predicated on everyone being there, and having everyone going — and that’s not the case.

“I suppose that is the balance between what the coaches might be trying to do as far as just build a long-term plan that everyone adheres to and we get it right, and there’s probably some young players in there at the moment who can’t execute that plan, or whether we have to adjust our cloth.

“That will be the topic of very strong discussions this week amongst the coaching group and we have to turn it around. We’ve got Brisbane next week and it is a big game, obviously, for us.”

Could have posted this in a few different threads ... nice comments about Jack Steele, some illuminating comments from him about the level of AFL saturation in the supposed stronghold of Canberra; but the fox sports story is the 'fear & stupidity' bit.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e/news-story/af182ca52bca52515b534ed87acb31d7

Yep - that sounds like a kid looking to move to Melbourne:rolleyes:

(actually surprised I got through the pay wall - not sure how that happened)

Hey guys- couldn't find a specific Riverina thread so thought this might match.

Can I ask- with academy players from the Riverina region that all the clubs are cowering over- do you still need to match bids from other clubs by sacrificing points for the players as per last year and other clubs with their academy/father son, or do you get to automatically add them to your list?

I can't see anywhere in writing to suggest you get to automatically add them and don't need to spend points, but also can't comprehend the carry on if you're needing to bid for the players anyway.

Hey guys- couldn't find a specific Riverina thread so thought this might match.

Can I ask- with academy players from the Riverina region that all the clubs are cowering over- do you still need to match bids from other clubs by sacrificing points for the players as per last year and other clubs with their academy/father son, or do you get to automatically add them to your list?

I can't see anywhere in writing to suggest you get to automatically add them and don't need to spend points, but also can't comprehend the carry on if you're needing to bid for the players anyway.

We have to bid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then what the hell is the controversey about? Yes you get preferential access, but the talk of "5 out of the top 25 players" is so unlikely to happen, and if they are the guns that they are made out to be, you'll have to pay through the roof to get them.

Correct. :thumbsu:

Then what the hell is the controversey about? Yes you get preferential access, but the talk of "5 out of the top 25 players" is so unlikely to happen, and if they are the guns that they are made out to be, you'll have to pay through the roof to get them.

Yep. That's about it.

Now if you could explain that to Eddie and the rest of the Melbin Meeja, we might be able to just get on with developing some good young kids.

There are about 650 kids in the academy, across ages and regions. We employ a number of full time and over 50 part time coaches. So we get first dibs on the very good ones, and as you say, pay through the nose for them, but so what - when the outcome is better players in local leagues and young kids inspired to play more... Meh, it's a small price to pay - for us - and everyone else.

What the controversy should be about is 'what the hell are the SANFL and WAFL doing so badly so that the Riverina alone is creating more AFL-ready players than two allegedly strong States'.

Nice to see Ian W back on the GWS pages after a long absence. Always liked his intelligent analysis.
Probably had to take a break from taking the battle up on non-Giants BF boards. There a small, but growing number of Giants BF team making their presence felt out there on the other boards. Good to see an old stager return...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back