The Festive Season is a difficult time of the year for some people

Gayspie2020

Rookie
Mar 26, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
For some people, embracing the merry in Christmas and the happy in the new year can be a challenge and the festive events and traditions can weigh heavy (copied and edited from a good Facebook post).

At this time of year my sincerest thoughts go to:

• Those who have lost a family member or friend

• Those who have no one to celebrate with

• The people whose relationship has just ended

• Those who must see abusive family members

• Those with substance addictions who struggle at this time of year

• The people who have financial stress

• The people who are homeless

• The people whose family are overseas

• The farmers struggling with drought

• All the people who are in hospital or prison

• Those with eating disorders who are struggling to eat

• Children in foster care who want to see their family

• Those that don’t feel there is anything to live for in the New Year

• The many emergency services personnel, members of the armed forces, and all other essential workers who keep working during this time

Look after yourself, be kind to others, and thank you for reading.

Gee, yall excuse me brb necking myself..
/sorry i didnt mean that.

Yes, I concur especially after such a hard year, for everyone. And I'm more the glass is half empty than full (sometimes) person- I sincerely hope next year is a damn lot better- just because a date is ticking over doesnt mean it automatically will be.

Gayspie2020

Rookie
Mar 26, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
True, but it's also a myth that suicides go up during the season.

It is a fact that New Years Day is also the day that features the highest suicide rate. This is obviously mainly because alcohol consumption is at year long highs, and people do stupid stuff when they are drunk, but also there are some really depressed people who just do not see anything to live for in the New Year.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
It can be difficult. More people have a chance to pause and can see what's wrong.
But end of the day it's a calendar date. If someone struggles at Festivus they will in any other month.
is that true or you just made it up?

Do they have/keep NYE suicide stats?

Never been a big NYE fan really. Think its the crowds. But hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable night whatever they're doing.
Tried the city once. Never again. Also am 50 50 staying up. Always struggle Nye for some odd reason. Not like it's hard to drink and stay up but can never be stuffed. Prefer to start the year fresh.
Plus if you want to go anywhere early you have the pick of everything.

Back