The File of Forgotten Classics

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong vs Brisbane 2013.

No, not the "miracle on grass" but the rematch at Simmonds in the last round where a late charge from Brisbane was stopped by Paul Chapman with a touch at the death.
I cry everytime.

Not to mention Lester's last second snap at goal that was touched on the line.

Brisbane Lions v Port Adelaide Round 22, 2002

This was dubbed the battle for the Minor Premiership, both teams heading into the Match with 17 wins apiece.

Simon Black and Michael Voss lead the way for Brisbane with 32 disposals, 1 goal and 29 disposals, 2 goals respectively. However it was the criminally underated Roger James who won it for Port with 31 disposals, 2 goals with backup from Chad Cornes who had 26 disposals and 7 marks. Brisbane were charging home in the last quarter - kicking 5 goals to 1 in the last quarter - but Port held on to win it by 6 point by the time the final siren blew.

Round 20 2009

Saints were 19-0 and not far off an undefeated season, we got a mile out in front and they pegged us back. Riewoldt had a shot after the siren to win it and missed, we won by 2 points.

Jobe had 37 touches and 8 tackles and was immense against a great Saints midfield.

One of the highest octane games of footy I've seen, have said it before on here but I really enjoyed watching that Essendon side in 2009. Young, fast & exciting and seemed to find ways to come out on top in the close ones. I know I am remembering only the highs and there were weeks of uncompetitive dross in there too but they sure burned brightly.

One of the highest octane games of footy I've seen, have said it before on here but I really enjoyed watching that Essendon side in 2009. Young, fast & exciting and seemed to find ways to come out on top in the close ones. I know I am remembering only the highs and there were weeks of uncompetitive dross in there too but they sure burned brightly.

It was a ridiculous year for great games to be at as an Essendon supporter.

Round 3... 4 point win over Carlton, Ryder brings down Murphy with a late tackle to save the game

Round 5... Anzac Day, Zaharakis

Round 7... thump reigning premiers and enemy Hawthorn by 44 points

Round 13... thump Carlton by 11 goals

Round 19... concede a late goal in infuriating draw with Brisbane

Round 20... snap the Saints 19-0 season with a 2 point win

Round 22... virtual elimination final against Hawthorne, Lloyd takes out Sewell, the Hawks lose their s**t on and off the field, a young Hurley boots 4 and we march into the finals.

I reckon it was the best year I had at the footy as a spectator. We were sometimes blistering, often awful, but the ball bounced our way a fair bit and we had some hugely memorable wins.

It was a ridiculous year for great games to be at as an Essendon supporter.

Round 3... 4 point win over Carlton, Ryder brings down Murphy with a late tackle to save the game

Round 5... Anzac Day, Zaharakis

Round 7... thump reigning premiers and enemy Hawthorn by 44 points

Round 13... thump Carlton by 11 goals

Round 19... concede a late goal in infuriating draw with Brisbane

Round 20... snap the Saints 19-0 season with a 2 point win

Round 22... virtual elimination final against Hawthorne, Lloyd takes out Sewell, the Hawks lose their s**t on and off the field, a young Hurley boots 4 and we march into the finals.

I reckon it was the best year I had at the footy as a spectator. We were sometimes blistering, often awful, but the ball bounced our way a fair bit and we had some hugely memorable wins.

There was also that ridiculous Rnd 11 match against Adelaide at Docklands

39.10 the cumulative score

Adelaide 21.4 Essendon 18.6

it was like neither team could miss and both were scoring goals from ridiculous angles

Brisbane Lions v Port Adelaide Round 22, 2002

This was dubbed the battle for the Minor Premiership, both teams heading into the Match with 17 wins apiece.

Simon Black and Michael Voss lead the way for Brisbane with 32 disposals, 1 goal and 29 disposals, 2 goals respectively. However it was the criminally underated Roger James who won it for Port with 31 disposals, 2 goals with backup from Chad Cornes who had 26 disposals and 7 marks. Brisbane were charging home in the last quarter - kicking 5 goals to 1 in the last quarter - but Port held on to win it by 6 point by the time the final siren blew.

"If only it were a Grand Final, it would be the greatest of all time"

Just a little thread to discuss some great games of years past that perhaps don't get the credit they deserve. Could be for a number of reasons. Perhaps you have a game that most neutral observers would find dull but you love. Well, this is your chance to explain why it's so memorable to you! Obviously there will be a lot of team bias, but that's ok.

To start... Hawthorn vs North Melbourne, round 5 2013.
Twilight sunday clash and one I was lucky enough to attend live. Was my girlfriend at the times first AFL game, (from an NRL town). Kind of sour in that respect now because we didn't end well, but this game thankfully was memorable enough despite the company in retrospect.

Key things of note:
1. Was Brian Lake's first game in Hawthorn colours.
2. Max Bailey kicked 10 goals in his entire career, and 3 of them came in the first quarter of this game.
3. Cyril Rioli was at his brilliant best. Kicked 4 goals and just took the game by the throat when we needed it. In the last quarter he was sprinting down the wing and his hamstring tore. Missed a massive chunk of the season after that. As he was helped from the field, every Hawthorn supporter in the building stood and applauded. Was a great moment to be there for.
4. North were the better side on the day, but Sam Mitchell and Cyril Rioli weren't going to allow it.
5. We won by 3 points, 14.15.99 to 13.18.96. The ball was sailing deep into North Melbourne's 50 as the siren sounded. Was heart in mouth stuff.

Anyway, was a great game of the past that was pretty much instantly forgotten afterwards. North were arguably the better side, but some moments of brilliance got us the W.

Good game. I watched it live too.

Freo vs Geelong Elimination Final 2012

God. What a game. One of my favourites to go back and rewatch. The first half was just so unexpected it was surreal.

I ****ing miss Pav :(
Good game. Hills match sealing goal was sppeecciiiaaaaalll

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1907 carlton vs pies game. It was a humdinger. The ball at one stage got lost in the mud for 2 minutes before anyone found it. During the confusion when all the players were scooping up the mud a blues fan threw a ball onto the field and the blues ran away with it and kicked a goal. Its only when the other ball was soon found that it was revealed the second ball was a fake. The blues argued vehemently the goal should count anyway to no luck. Condon also literally decked an ump when his back was turned because he thought his catholicism was biasing him towards carlton. This resulted in and old fashioned hoo haa that resulted in 7 players going to the hospital and both teams finishing the game 2 players short. The emergency ump was 15 year old who finished out the game. Oh and a goal umpire was also knocked out after being hit in the head by a boot that was thrown from the stands (boots were as heavy as rocks back then). The thrower of the boot was never discovered but was officially banned for life by the carlton football club but not the collingwood football club. Condon got off scott free as none of the other umps saw the incident.

Last edited:
Good game. Hills match sealing goal was sppeecciiiaaaaalll
Wrong game. You are thinking about the 2013 Qualifying final. Pavlich kicked the sealer in the 2012 one.

Buddy's first game against Hawthorn where he kicked 10 goals and made Hawthorn fans bend over and kiss his feet. Then Buddy got called by NASA, saying that they needed him on an important mission to save the earth. He did it of course and came back a few weeks later against Essendon, his return game fitting 123,000 people into the SCG where during the game the umpires gave Buddy the whistle, telling him that he would be better and determining who gave away a free kick and who didn't than they would, and afterwards it was widely agreed in the media that Buddy was the best CHF/Umpire ever to play the game.
Pffft

What about the day razor ray pulled on the boots for carlton and singlehandly (as he had to use his other hand to hold the whistle) blew them way over the salary cap - ensuring a decade of other teams beating them

Not just one game - but a decades worth.

Pull ya head in - razor ray >>>> daylight>>> shaving foam >>>> buddy who

Buddy's first game against Hawthorn where he kicked 10 goals and made Hawthorn fans bend over and kiss his feet. Then Buddy got called by NASA, saying that they needed him on an important mission to save the earth. He did it of course and came back a few weeks later against Essendon, his return game fitting 123,000 people into the SCG where during the game the umpires gave Buddy the whistle, telling him that he would be better and determining who gave away a free kick and who didn't than they would, and afterwards it was widely agreed in the media that Buddy was the best CHF/Umpire ever to play the game.
You have no idea what so ever. That game didn't even happen. You're full of s**t. He kicked 20 goals, in front of 246,000 fans.

Stop making s**t up.

Round 8 2010 Richmond(13.8 86) vs Hawthorn(13.11 89) Sam Mitchell again best on for the Hawks laid a match saving tackle in the dying minute which not only won the match but probably saved Clarkson from getting the axe. Hawthorn went into the match being 1-6 playing the winless Richmond, Hawthorn would win 8 of the next 10, losing to Geelong by 2 points and drawing to the Saints.

Round 8 2010 Richmond(13.8 86) vs Hawthorn(13.11 89) Sam Mitchell again best on for the Hawks laid a match saving tackle in the dying minute which not only won the match but probably saved Clarkson from getting the axe. Hawthorn went into the match being 1-6 playing the winless Richmond, Hawthorn would win 8 of the next 10, losing to Geelong by 2 points and drawing to the Saints.

I saw two Hawthorn games live that year. This one and the draw against St.Kilda. We were woeful against the Tigers. Still cannot believe we won that game. Sam Mitchell of all people with a chase down tackle to save the match, and Clarkos career like you mentioned.

2013 Round 3: Fremantle vs Essendon

Our under-fire club against a team who would be grand finalists, playing interstate too. Down 33-3 at quarter time and 47-11 at half time, kicked the next 7 goals to take a 59-49 lead early in the last quarter. A few lead changes before Ryder kicked a goal to put us up 6, before Duffield kicks one that looks goalbound before taking a sudden bounce to the left and Mayne misses one from 15m out straight in front and we held on. We kicked 9.7 in the second half to 2.9. Not even WA’s favourite umpire Dean Margetts could get the home team over the line!

Our win over here against West Coast in the same year was just as good. Jobe overcomes the boos to get the three votes and we kick two goals in the last two minutes to get up by 7.

Geelong vs Brisbane 2013.

No, not the "miracle on grass" but the rematch at Simmonds in the last round where a late charge from Brisbane was stopped by Paul Chapman with a touch at the death.

Not just an entertaining game, but a genuine sliding doors moment.

• If Brisbane don't lose to Geelong by one point, they claim Essendon's position in the top eight.

• If Port Adelaide don't choke to Carlton by one point later that afternoon, Brisbane line up against Richmond in an elimination final.

• Is that enough for Voss to retain his head coaching position? Do Brisbane retain all, or some, of Docherty, Karnezis, Longer, Polec, and Yeo? Do any of these things help them avoid becoming a basket case for the next couple of seasons?

• Do Richmond win a final? How deep do they go, and how does that success affect their journey to the 2017 Premiership?

Just a few thoughts...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back