Remove this Banner Ad

12Chill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well, looks like it's here.

Promo: http://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-09-18/recounting-the-games-last-gf-draw

Will be a documentary made by Peter Dickson.

Based on the promo, we can see that Milne, Eddie, Demetriou, Lenny, Maxwell, Rooey, Joey, B. Johnson, Pendles, Lyon and BJ will all feature in the film.

Will you be watching?
I know many of you guys haven't even re-watched our losing
arrow-10x10.png
grand finals of '09 and '10 but I for one have re-watched them many times.

Will premiere on Channel 7 next Sunday night.

Here is the 1966 doco.
The Final Story 1966

Edit: Article to go with the promo.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-18/the-final-draw

-Spent 8 months working on 'The Final Draw'
-He interviewed 14 Collingwood and St Kilda players, coaches and officials for the project.
-Dickson predicted viewers would be struck by the varying ways key people recalled the draw. Some (notably St Kilda's Stephen Milne and Collingwood's Ben Johnson) were very emotional, while others (including Saint Nick Riewoldt) were more pragmatic. All, Dickson said, reviewed the event with clarity and freshness, as if it had just occurred
-"Milne, who was so pivotal in that final moment, is still very emotional, six years later. People have their perceptions of him but he comes across really well."
-"They didn't know what to do. (Leigh) Montagna even thought the AFL would change the rules on the run and allow the players to play extra time.
-THE SEVEN NETWORK WILL BROADCAST THE FINAL DRAW ON SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 25 AND FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 30. CHECK LOCAL GUIDES FOR TIMES.

Plenty more in the article that you may or may not want to read, just some other snippets of what is going to be in there, up to you if you want to be surprised.

Last edited:
It was great to see Lenny again on tv!

Probably the worst jumper st kilda has worn since AFL started!

I am personally more sanguine about the 2010 draw / loss now even though I attended both.

Should be a good watch.

Only losing Grand finals I've been able to re-watch have been '71 and '97.

I'm not quite at 2009 just yet, but the day will come...

Absolutely can't watch any of 2009. I can watch 2010 and the Replay begrudgingly, but they're ultimately all part of the same story.
Yeah I find myself ruing 2009 more than 2010

Yeah I find myself ruing 2009 more than 2010
It was a significantly worse loss. We were the best team all year, dominated in the first half and should have had the game done but kept missing those ******* set shots.

I would rather cut my eyes out than watch that game.

I can't watch 2009 it's too painful as well. That was the year and we rooted it.

Will watch but will probably sit down depressed after knowing we were that close and now are still fairly far away

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2010 i can watch again because we were massive underdogs compared to the previous year and we looked completely cooked at half time. It was a fantastic comeback and there are so many massive moments in the game like Hayes tackle on Swan, Jimmy Gwilt winning a 2 on 1 and of Goddards mark of course. Still hurts of course but i'll be watching this.

Only losing Grand finals I've been able to re-watch have been '71 and '97.

I'm not quite at 2009 just yet, but the day will come...
Dont ever watch 2009.... I did over last summer on a rainy weekend & it didnt end well

In last quarter with 8 minutes to go, when Schneider is running onto a loose ball inside our 50 & gets dragged to the ground by his jumper from behind with the ball still 2m in front of him & no free kick..... I broke my 32" Samsung television when I threw the remote control through the screen

I've heard of putting the whistle away in grand finals, but FMD you still need to pay the blatant ones FFS :(

2009 is actually a strange game to re-watch. Maybe it's because I know we lose in the end but we really didn't feel like we were dominating at any time. People all remember the Hawkins poster but Kosi got a very soft free on the half time siren in the goal square that put us up when we really had no right to be.

2010 is actually harder for me because of what followed in the replay.

Game 1 we were getting done but the Pies didn't take their chances. In the second half Lyon made his moves - Kosi in the ruck, Roo up the ground, Gilbert at CHF, Milne and Goddard deep - and they all worked to get us right back in the game.

Then week 2 we come out with the exact same set up as the first half of week one - Roo forwaard, McEvoy in the ruck, Kosi deep, Gilbert and Goddard back - and this time the Pies took their chances and it was all done. Amzingly he made the same changes and Gilbert and Schnieder ha some chances to start the 3rd qtr but didn't capitalize.

I don't think about the extra time, I think about what would have happened if we had played Kosi and Blake in the ruck from the start with Gilbert and Goddard forward and Geary coming into the backline to replace Gardiner.

I think the saddest part of 2010 is that if you think about it had the ball bounced the right way bj dal would still be at the saints probs as captain leading our future. None of those guys would've left all of the retirements would have extra special ☹️

Another couple of articles on this - http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/co...l/news-story/f3a2dee5ca24e39a9993fc520d397392

"McGuire admitted telling Senator Conroy to “shut the f--- up’’ after the politician suggested the Magpies were home and hosed."

From saints.com.au - http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-09-19/the-final-draw-inseparable-

True to his reputation as a knockabout bloke, Johnson revealed how he had snuck a mate into the MCG for the Grand Final by hiding him in the boot of his car

What a legend!!!!

Riewoldt and (Brendon) Goddard were so confident they brought cigars to the ground. That surprised me. But they thought they were going to do it."

I wonder if that's their personalities (positivity), or if they really thought they would just turn up and win. I was never confident about 2010, only dawned on me that we could actually win after the Lenny goal, BJ mark.

I bought a ticket for this Thursday's MSO Draw performance in the hopes that a calm and refined setting might help to alleviate some of the pain and scarring from 2010, but with Dickson's documentary on top of it only days later, I feel there will only be new scars, heightened blood pressure, abusive phone calls and excessive amounts of alcohol consumed over this weekend.
If the Dogs and Cats manage to make it through to the Big Dance I feel i'll be needing something a little harder than alcohol to take the sting out of that catastrophic scenario.

And here I was thinking I was over the whole situation six years later ;).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back