Autopsy The Final Draw - documentary (Ch7, 10pm Sunday 25 Sep + replayed 7mate, Friday 30 Sep)

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems like a ripper documentary about the 2010 drawn grand final if the preview up on the 'pies website is anything to go by. Scheduled to air 10pm Sunday 25 September on Channel 7 in Melbourne with a reply on Friday 30 September.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2016-09-19/the-final-draw-2016
Amid the expected recollections of drama and tension, filmmaker Peter Dickson found contrasting moments of levity and humour to enable him to produce what he believes is "the most entertaining" of his series of big-game football films.

Dickson spent around eight months working on The Final Draw, a retrospective of the 2010 Grand Final, only the third premiership-decider to finish with scores level. He interviewed 14 Collingwood and St Kilda players, coaches and officials for the project.

Dickson predicted viewers would be struck by the varying ways key people recalled the draw. Some (notably St Kilda's Stephen Milne and Collingwood's Ben Johnson) were very emotional, while others (including Saint Nick Riewoldt) were more pragmatic. All, Dickson said, reviewed the event with clarity and freshness, as if it had just occurred.

And does anyone recall Nick Maxwell after the draw, didn't seem to know the rules were it's a replay game.
I found that odd.

And does anyone recall Nick Maxwell after the draw, didn't seem to know the rules were it's a replay game.
I found that odd.
Haven't watched it for a while, but it seems the doco will cover it.

Dickson said he was struck by the fact some players didn't understand they would have to come back the following week for a replay.

"They didn't know what to do. (Leigh) Montagna even thought the AFL would change the rules on the run and allow the players to play extra time.

"It was staggering," he said.

I found this bit of the article interesting, wonder if any of the 'pies were so confident going in?
"Riewoldt and (Brendon) Goddard were so confident they brought cigars to the ground. That surprised me. But they thought they were going to do it."

Yes very much looking forward to this, will cap off a nice w/end of footy perfectly.

Credit to the Saints players for their part in it, must have been very tough for them.

I did a victory lap of my food outlet where I worked when Clokey scored the "winner" or so I thought. Then Milney let it bounce through for the minor score, and I stormed out. I could not handle the draw, nor dimwitted people ribbing me about being a "dirty Pies supporter" all day.

I had people asking me if it was extra time, and I was sure it was a replay. If I had my moment again I would have a) not stormed out and kept my composure (would have respected my lovely boss Gwen a bit more, an adorable Footscray cum Shinboners supporter from the late 50s) and b) realised we had another week and thanked Christ because it meant another 5-6 hours at $30 an hour for a 19 year old.

I think being a young bloke of 11-12 year old in the cheer squad during the Brisbane trifecta of 2001-03, and losing those two grand finals, then being at the second one getting thrashed, the expectation of doing the Saints after belting the Cats the week before, led to my irrational response.

But the replay was the polar opposite. There was me walking out for the third quarter and celebrating with about ten blokes on the beers (not me obviously) who had brought a package to the Grand Final including accommodation at some hotel, and then walking around in the "mosh pit" with hundreds of blokes jumping around and hugging and screaming while I was still officially "on the job" to celebrate when the siren sounded, pure ecstasy.

I seriously hope this will come again. Seeing 2011 was sad, and myself having a 1-3 win-loss record in grand finals would be something to improve on.

That said everyone enjoy the documentary!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rsz_draw2.jpg

Good article about tonight's program.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-18/the-final-draw

Hope they put it up online. Sucks living in Canberra as a Collingwood and AFL supporter. Last night after GWS lost, they showed the dogs sing the song and then cut the program!

Be on Youtube or Torrent Site

Doco is about 30mins off starting for those in Victoria or Tasmania.

Tonight's start times:

10pm - Melbourne, Hobart, Adelaide, Darwin, Perth
12am - Canberra, Sydney, Brisbane

Friday's replay start times (7 mate):

7.30pm - Melbourne, Hobart, Adelaide, Darwin, Perth
5.30pm - Canberra, Sydney, Brisbane

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back