Autopsy The Final Draw - documentary (Ch7, 10pm Sunday 25 Sep + replayed 7mate, Friday 30 Sep)

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I get sick of people saying we were lucky. Yes we were far in front, yes st kilda got in front near the end and if they were good enough as everyone says they wouldn't have let us get a goal in the final few minutes to level the score. It's ours. And i am glad we won what we deserved.we were the best team all year by far. Do i feel sorry for st kilda?? **** no. Do you honestly think they would feel sorry for us if it was reversed??
Nailed it.
They would still be laughing at us even now.
Any team with Milne, Goddard, are begging not to be lked

Found it interesting that the players stated that the saints win was the moment they first started believing they were a chance at the flag because as a fan I walked away from that game with the same belief. What was unknown to me though was Johnson revealing that it caused the group to put their party ways aside and focus fully to the task.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
on the question of extra time and the players responses, Pendles the only one saying the other mob win......interesting
He sure thought the other way the following week :)

Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
Found it interesting that the players stated that the saints win was the moment they first started believing they were a chance at the flag because as a fan I walked away from that game with the same belief. What was unknown to me though was Johnson revealing that it caused the group to put their party ways aside and focus fully to the task.
I felt the same and that was enhanced three weeks later when we beat Geelong in round 19.

From there, I thought we were a genuine chance of winning it that year.

on the question of extra time and the players responses, Pendles the only one saying the other mob win......interesting

I also found that Interesting sad to hear he did not give a Reason why he Thought Saints would of won. I think Lot of People thought that would Happen IF Extra Time was Played

Didaics

Club Legend
Aug 24, 2006
Coburg
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The Mighty Magpies
Great insight into the decision to hold the function that night. Had I (or almost anybody I'm sure) been in charge I certainly would have let the players have the night off too, especially if Maxy was calling for it. Not sure whether the doco played it up to be more than it was but it seemed an ultimately positive thing to do. A reason why it is great to have a lover of football history in Eddie in charge as he knew what had happened in 77 and was able to learn from it. I remember Mick's "it will be" speech on the news and it resonated with me too. It did just feel like half time.

I remember that night my dad saying it felt different to 77 as well. A strange feeling but less doom and gloom than 77. The way the teams were matched back then the Saints would probably have beaten us 1 in 4, and we got away with that 25% shot they probably had of winning it. It happens sometimes (08 anybody?) But we hung on.

All in all, a great watch and like everybody says there are so many if, buts and maybes. Sometimes they are bad (Harmes, Rocca etc) and Sometimes they go your way. (Milne)

What happens happens.

We have a cup on the shelf and we deserved it. Saints would have deserved it had they won, but they didn't.

DIDAIC0S

All Australian
Aug 23, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
From the day of the draw, until exactly one week later was the biggest roller coaster of my 24 years on earth.

Yep. I was there at the G. I couldn't function properly for a week. Hollow and numb all at once.

Buck off! Promote the General! #17

regpies

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Looking back at the 2010 team there's a pretty good chance we'll only have 3 of those players in the best 22 next year. Pendles, Sidebottom and Reid. Blair and Goldsack likely playing VFL and Brown maybe gone.

The two things that impressed me from the show was Eddie saying that they insisted the players attend the function which they hadn't done at the last draw. The St Kilda players didn't attend theirs.
The other was I had forgotten how well Jolley rucked that day. Some of his tap work was great. There was one instance where it seemed he was going to use his right hand, found he had misjudged and tapped beautifully with his left hand.
Know he wasn't happy with the way it ended but I think may make a good ruck coach.

The two things that impressed me from the show was Eddie saying that they insisted the players attend the function which they hadn't done at the last draw. The St Kilda players didn't attend theirs.
The other was I had forgotten how well Jolley rucked that day. Some of his tap work was great. There was one instance where it seemed he was going to use his right hand, found he had misjudged and tapped beautifully with his left hand.
Know he wasn't happy with the way it ended but I think may make a good ruck coach.

That Dinner after The Draw was Huge

ThePhantom777

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2014
Canberra
AFL Club
Collingwood
Apparently the same director did one for the 1990 gf. Can't believe Riewoldt and Goddard took cigars to the ground in anticipation of the win. Talk about getting ahead of yourselves.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
That was great. Some really interesting stuff.

Kind of staggered the boys went into Half Time so cocky, especially given Cloke gave the Saints an opening with his abhorrent misses before half time. He kicks those and it's game over.

Side note: Those 2 misses are a major reason I've never had a problem with the idea of trading Cloke. Dude literally almost cost us a flag with his inaccuracy.

Sep 19, 2011
Zeta Reticuli
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Victory
Never forget how I felt when Flog Goddard took that mark and put them in front, an ease came over me and I was thinking I want it over now, I remember not being nervous any more but more so we will never get another chance like this again... (hope I'm wrong), I sat on the couch for around an hour or so not saying anything and the mood in the house was like a funeral... I got up from the couch and went to bed at around 6:30 pm with the biggest stress headache ever..... after witnessing 77 twice, 78 Prelim loss, 79, 80, 81, 02, 03, I though NO MORE......Reckon this team means anything to me?

It makes me shudder to think if we lost both 2010 and 2011. The mentality of the supporter base would be so different today.

Indeed

And you know exactly what that mentality would have been ...

'66, '70

'77, '79, '80, ' 81

'02, '03

It was an ok production, wasn't really impressed by it at all.

To those who haven't seen it yet though, don't watch a channel 7 coverage of it, at least if you can't fast forward the ads.

I reckon the doco goes for about 35 minutes, but 7 dragged it out over an hour.

I hate that game though, always have, so I was never really going to enjoy a doco about the draw.

Would be nice if our club got off their arse and commissioned one about the actual premiership though.

Back