Autopsy The Final Draw - documentary (Ch7, 10pm Sunday 25 Sep + replayed 7mate, Friday 30 Sep)

Remove this Banner Ad

It was an ok production, wasn't really impressed by it at all.

To those who haven't seen it yet though, don't watch a channel 7 coverage of it, at least if you can't fast forward the ads.

I reckon the doco goes for about 35 minutes, but 7 dragged it out over an hour.

I hate that game though, always have, so I was never really going to enjoy a doco about the draw.

Would be nice if our club got off their arse and commissioned one about the actual premiership though.
You make solid points.
Lots of ads is a detraction.
Thought it was a bit too much "pro" St Kilda.
Also too much Ed for me, I'd prefer the players and coaches doing 95% of reactions.
The team function was interesting though. Equally I'm sure it will grow in to mythology status as the "reason" for the big win the next week.
Id say we really won the next week be au several we were that year the best team and they were really sore in the replay AND we took full value of the opportunities in the replay as opposed to so many misses in the first half of the first game.

That said, Ross Lyon to me is value on these things because he tends to be very whimsical

Last edited:

It was a weird week following that draw. I was feeling like how they warned the players not to feel (i.e. like we lost) and I was down and dark for most of the week and then miraculously by about Thursday I started feeling a bit of confidence again. On Friday that confidence grew and grew so much that by the Saturday morning I just had the overwhelming feeling we would win (this feeling stressed me a bit I recall).

I think that deep in my mind I just knew that we were the best team that year. We just had to bring it and we would win. The slaughter that followed that afternoon was glorious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neon should have got a game the next week. Criminal he was never a Pies premiership player.
Very true. The AFL did issue him with a premiership medal, because he played in the draw.

on the question of extra time and the players responses, Pendles the only one saying the other mob win......interesting

I'm guessing that's because he recalls feeling crook and not playing a great game.

quite possibly. I'm probably reading too much into a bloke's thoughts about the GF 6 years ago, but it's interesting his response compared to the leaders of the day, for the current leader of our club...

Nah, it's because he's quietly the most ruthless of them all. Letting St Kilda think they would have won just gives that knife in their heart another twist.

I've never thought St Kilda were a shoo-in if an extra 10 minutes was played. They had a 6 point head start in the last 10 minutes of the actual game and still couldn't win it. Anything could have happened.

It was a weird week following that draw. I was feeling like how they warned the players not to feel (i.e. like we lost) and I was down and dark for most of the week and then miraculously by about Thursday I started feeling a bit of confidence again. On Friday that confidence grew and grew so much that by the Saturday morning I just had the overwhelming feeling we would win (this feeling stressed me a bit I recall).

I think that deep in my mind I just knew that we were the best team that year. We just had to bring it and we would win. The slaughter that followed that afternoon was glorious.
I watched both games with my then elderly parents.
I was genuinely concerned for my father's well-being during the first one so stayed outwardly calmer for his sake. I also had a really good feeling about the second and talked my old man into a guarded sense of confidence by Saturday. I was so relieved when it started to play out and we could enjoy it together as I was living os in 1990.

I completely understand why the AFL is no longer allowing drawn Grand Finals, but I wouldn't change a thing about 2010, even if you guaranteed we would win in normal or extra time.

To me we're the luckiest supporters in that we got the best of both worlds that year: an absolute nailbiting, amazingly hard fought classic GF and also a GF where we put the foot down, demonstrated why we were the best team in the comp and got to spend the final quarter celebrating.

To give all that up, as well as the amazing feeling after the draw and for the whole of the next week in favour of scraping through in normal or extra time is unthinkable for me.

Nah, it's because he's quietly the most ruthless of them all. Letting St Kilda think they would have won just gives that knife in their heart another twist.

I've never thought St Kilda were a shoo-in if an extra 10 minutes was played. They had a 6 point head start in the last 10 minutes of the actual game and still couldn't win it. Anything could have happened.

twist that knife :thumbsu:

being the long suffering type that Eddie described in the doco, I actually believed we'd lose in extra time. My confidence grew that following week and I had a good feeling pre replay. As much as I'm intimating Pendles didn't have utter confidence in his teammates, he was probably just thinking how spent he was, and thus the others.

I went crazy that night, went down to Y&J's with my sister, band played the club song a few times, ripper night!

I completely understand why the AFL is no longer allowing drawn Grand Finals, but I wouldn't change a thing about 2010, even if you guaranteed we would win in normal or extra time.

To me we're the luckiest supporters in that we got the best of both worlds that year: an absolute nailbiting, amazingly hard fought classic GF and also a GF where we put the foot down, demonstrated why we were the best team in the comp and got to spend the final quarter celebrating.

To give all that up, as well as the amazing feeling after the draw and for the whole of the next week in favour of scraping through in normal or extra time is unthinkable for me.
Plus we had the benefit of a corporate GF and one for the fans. In terms of fan access and crowd atmosphere the replay was second to no other recent GF and more akin to a preliminary final.

twist that knife :thumbsu:

being the long suffering type that Eddie described in the doco, I actually believed we'd lose in extra time. My confidence grew that following week and I had a good feeling pre replay. As much as I'm intimating Pendles didn't have utter confidence in his teammates, he was probably just thinking how spent he was, and thus the others.

I went crazy that night, went down to Y&J's with my sister, band played the club song a few times, ripper night!

I was confident as soon as the final siren of the draw sounded. To me we were easily the best team that year and if given two cracks at it we were sure to win. I was loving the unique atmosphere in the stadium having felt that we'd dodged a bullet and had been granted a second chance.

My dad however, who had been to every Collingwood GF from 1958 onwards meaning the ledger now read 2 wins, 2 draws and 10 losses was completely shattered. He felt that he couldn't go through the whole build up again and just wanted to be put out of his misery. Changed his tune next week, though!

Plus we had the benefit of a corporate GF and one for the fans. In terms of fan access and crowd atmosphere the replay was second to no other recent GF and more akin to a preliminary final.

Damn right. The replay was the GF as it should always be.

Apparently the same director did one for the 1990 gf. Can't believe Riewoldt and Goddard took cigars to the ground in anticipation of the win. Talk about getting ahead of yourselves.

That's unfair.
I'm sure most of the Pies players packed their kit bags with a thought to the possible celebrations afterwards. It's only sensible.

Neon should have got a game the next week. Criminal he was never a Pies premiership player.
One thing that sticks in my mind is MM being a touch too honest and saying that Leon was gifted games due to other reasons rather than form. Was referring to different stages throughout Neon's career.
Is the 10 goal margin the reason why you think he should have played in the replay?

It was an ok production, wasn't really impressed by it at all.

To those who haven't seen it yet though, don't watch a channel 7 coverage of it, at least if you can't fast forward the ads.

I reckon the doco goes for about 35 minutes, but 7 dragged it out over an hour.

I hate that game though, always have, so I was never really going to enjoy a doco about the draw.

Would be nice if our club got off their arse and commissioned one about the actual premiership though.

Club would as I highly doubt that CH 7 would.

We have a Massive Media Area. So we could do something like that. They won't be doing much at this time of year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back