Game Day The final Masterpiece - AFL Grand Final 2017 - Adelaide v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

This team has plenty left in the tank and still has enormous upside. GFs are the hardest things to win. Getting there is a trial in itself and you need stuff to go your way. Nothing went our way today.

What I want to know is, where was all our agro that got us there in the first place? It was totally missing.

This time the saying ‘there’s always next year’ should be a positive thought with the possibility of a flag being very real. There’ll be some personnel adjustments that might just help it along.

The flag is not very real anymore. Again, this is it. We will continue to lose player(s) this offseason and unless something brilliant happens we're more or less stuck in the mud.

We needed it THIS YEAR. A win or loss makes a massive difference to the club's future in these circumstances.

Too tall up forward, too tall down back and not trading for Gibbs. Three pillars of the loss IMO.

No, any team that gets to the GF, deserves to be there and has the personnel to go all the way.

We have the list and the players to win. This was lost above the shoulders, in the coaching box, the selection panel, and not respecting your opponent. We basically expected them to do the exact same thing as round 6.

The tigers won by 48 points, which makes it a 123 point turn around from our round 6 clash. That would indicate one team learnt their lesson, where as us, we lost in the exact manner in our previous Geelong and Hawthorn losses. Its deja Vu.

I am not too devastated, because we have progressed technically to the last round. I hope this loss emphatically shines a light on Pykes/AFC's philosophies once and for all.

Every team pyke has coached has crumbled when it mattered.

We will not make a Gf next year.

We have used up all of the Walsh factor and we just s**t on the legacy.

And who would have predicted Richmond at this time last year

Where ever we finish next year has nothing to do with Walshy's tickets, this is Pykey's team and it has been for two years now

He took us couple more steps this year,he needs to find a way to find that last major step

We will be back. You really think the way we performed all year was a fluke? There are absolutely no grounds to think our premiership window is closed. None at all. This ‘this will hurt our club forever’ is bullshittery of the finest.
There's been a few examples of clubs that have been belted in a GF falling away though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we got off to a flyer, first 2 goals. The boys rocked up. as the game wore on, the tigers got the ascendancy, which would point to an emphatic tactical, selection and coaching win for Richmond.

little signs such as jacobs carelessly knocking the ball out deliberately, our outside players ball watching, it was deja vu like the mid season slump we had.

I was so confident we had what it took and addressed our issues.

Commiserations guys.

Be proud, your boys did a remarkable job all year, but unfortunately it just didn't happen for you today.

For those driving back home, please be safe and drive carefully. Cheers

Thanks for being respectful. I wish my port supporting family were more like you.
I had family play for port. Make no mistake, I hurt when we lose to you mob. I mean REALLY hurt losing to lose. I remember EVERY loss to you guys. Context. You only need 3 years here to snap out of that world view. Trust me, come round1. I'll be hating you again, but if you live in Melbourne the sickening pro Victorian bias well overwhelms the "hate" for Adelaide. I've been here 20 years. Gets no better. Really unusual. I'm in a party with 2o people, no Richmond fans but the decebil metre was off the chart. It's no anti Adelaide, it's Victorian parochialism. And all rights to them.

Port Adelaide fans should Recognose that in a grand final. But the anti sanfl Max basheer Leigh wicker bullshit is deep I guess

Last edited:
And who would have predicted Richmond at this time last year

Where ever we finish next year has nothing to do with Walshy's tickets, this is Pykey's team and it has been for two years now

He took us couple more steps this year,he needs to find a way to find that last major step
Perhaps.

Any chance we have of a GF come in the next 20 odd days with dealing with Lever leaving and what we pay for Gibbs.

Well it doesn't feel as bad as a prelim loss. But maybe that's because it wasn't close in the end.

We played into Richmond's hands to their credit. Our forwards could not take a mark to save their lives, which is where I thought we could expose Richmond during the week. Walker was a massive letdown. Couldn't catch a cold or kick a set shot when it mattered, nor could Knight. I expected a lot more from these guys since I thought they had a reputation as big game performers. Otten and especially Jenkins were also awful. We should put Jenkins on the table and see if anyone bites (they probably won't).

Our midfield won their fair share of the ball but lacked any composure and Richmond sat someone just behind the contest to mop up our fumbles all day. Greenwood started well but vanished off the face of the earth, Brad Crouch and Douglas were both fumbly.

Not an awful lot of desire from anyone to lay any ferocious tackles. In contrast to last week, this job was left to too few of our players. Richmond's dinky little passing it around until you get a shot on goal worked absolute wonders because of this. Needed to make every Richmond player accountable, but we didn't.

Defence couldn't really think their way through the Richmond zone. They were in for a long day.

Laird and Hartigan our best today for mine. Jacobs, Sloane and Matt Crouch decent. Everyone else ranges from meh to terrible.

I just pray it's not another 19 years before we get another chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back