Play Nice The Final Quarter/Australian Dream

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing which infuriates me still about this part you're describing (the whole saga still enrages me beyond my proper expression for what happened to Adam) is that Goodes had been called a "black, monkey lookin' c**t" on the field of play before by a very prominent player. This always seems to get overlooked but to me is really relevant - who could reasonably say that that is not beyond the pale and has a place on the field? Why in the name of god could anyone begrudge a man from expressing his shock, hurt, and pain at being called something akin to it during Indigenous round by a member of the public? And then he's still the villain when he says it's not her fault and speaks to her directly about the incident.

I didn't know that about the player racist abuse. The player should be called out and shamed.

I didn't know that about the player racist abuse. The player should be called out and shamed.

I'm not for naming him after this long (I know who it was alleged to be and it happened almost 20 years ago at this point I believe). At this point, to drag this person back into the open I think would be too much and wouldn't achieve much now. At the time, it could have been very valuable to have known and maybe even have had some form of public reckoning between the two of them. But now, imo, it's the reality of knowing that a very prominent player said that in the 2000's on the footy field that should be shocking enough imo.

It's a matter on the public record too (not the name of the player though), Goodes talked about it without naming the player in his Open Mike interview from like 2012.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This whole thing goes round in circles

Afl basically in a wait and see state , things went wrong could have done more it’s his decision Hope he comes back

What should they have done in their own opinion , not just more but what practically and what would they do now in the same situation ?

And then what do people think they should do and should be doing

Seems like everyone just talks fluff full stop

What should they do for goodes now? So things can be healed or is it just unable to be repaired by them? Do they all have to resign ?

Or do we spend the next 20 years treading water on the same issues ? Lot of stamping of feet and labelling of racists or accusations that people should get over things and * all practical action imo

Gill, desperately trying to appease everyone and utterly failing to get the point

He’s just trying to win the PR battle and/or move on to something else like he does with any issue .

Agree King..

Gil is not a leader, a privileged private school boy with humour and charm, unwilling or unable to tackle real issues such as racism within footy.

prefers to gain a consensus, is everything I despise about politics and corporates, likes the status quo and speaks utter crap

Remove this Banner Ad

Back