Play Nice The Final Quarter/Australian Dream

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough Kap. The point I was making here is that posters generally come out all guns blazing after a game in the autopsy threads, yet on this more important issue they’ve decided to abstain. Each to their own but I find it disappointing as this is an issue where numbers (of support) do count!
Each to their own Mick.

Perhaps, as it was midweek, many haven't even watched it yet.

Or people have already said their peace at the time or elsewhere.

Any number of reasons. I agree though mate. It's an important discussion & one I really want to read all sides on... if one persons perception as to their negative attitudes/behaviours can be changed from this then it has been worthwhile I reckon.

Fair enough Kap. The point I was making here is that posters generally come out all guns blazing after a game in the autopsy threads, yet on this more important issue they’ve decided to abstain. Each to their own but I find it disappointing as this is an issue where numbers (of support) do count!
Personally I've said enough over the years & on the main board to the point I was banned from the Goodes thread.
I just wanted to go & have a sleep.
Today is another day though.

Amazing doco. Heartbreaking. Throughout the whole ordeal, he didn't once lose his cool, always calm and measured. Going to the Vic games during this period were actually soul destroying for me so I feel so sad for him. I don'y know how he did it. I know it's silly but it still annoys me that Jetta chose to go to West Coast after the fans booed him when he did his dance to support Goodes.

Goodesy is a true warrior. <3

Curious to know how people feel Buckley handled himself as shown on the documentary. I'm struggling to articulate my feelings but I thought it was pretty poor. Felt like he thought this was a non issue and one which should just be ignored and swept under the rug rather than confronted. Also felt he wasn't supportive of Goodes in the slightest or of his plight

Haven't looked at other boards or social media with how people are reacting to the doco for fear that nothing's changed.
Actually just read The Age article on my FB feed and the comments are very supportive, far less bullshit. There’s always the odd one but they’re getting called out. So far, so good!

Curious to know how people feel Buckley handled himself as shown on the documentary. I'm struggling to articulate my feelings but I thought it was pretty poor. Felt like he thought this was a non issue and one which should just be ignored and swept under the rug rather than confronted. Also felt he wasn't supportive of Goodes in the slightest or of his plight
I don’t think he did it well but I think he just wanted to talk about Adam Goodes the footballer and didn’t want to buy in on the other crap. That’s my personal take but it didn’t look good.

I don’t think he did it well but I think he just wanted to talk about Adam Goodes the footballer and didn’t want to buy in on the other crap. That’s my personal take but it didn’t look good.
I agree. He wanted to talk footy not "the saga"... but I also think he was the coach of Eddies Collingwood & was, at the time, fighting for his job.

I'm so incredibly disappointed with the way discussion about Goodes is handled on the main board. Even more so after this doco.

In my opinion, anyone who continues to deny the racist element to Goodes' treatment, and more specifically chooses to attack his character as substantiation for their argument, shouldn't have a voice on this website.

Last edited:
I'm so incredibly disappointed with the way discussion about Goodes is handled on the main board. Even more so after this doco.

In my opinion, anyone who continues to deny the racist element to Goodes' treatment, and more specifically chooses to attack his character as substantiation for there argument, shouldn't have a voice on this website.
Let them have their voice. They can be exposed as the bigots they are

In my opinion, anyone who continues to deny the racist element to Goodes' treatment, and more specifically chooses to attack his character as substantiation for their argument, shouldn't have a voice on this website.
I bet 99% of them didn't even watch the doco too.

Was at work last night so recorded it and just finished watching it.
McGuire, Newman, Bolt, Jones, Devine, Lyon and Brereton can rot in hell for all I care. Absolute scums of the earth.
Didn't realise how strongly Mark Robinson supported Goodesy publicly so massive kudos to him, and I have a new found respect for him.
Goodesy, as someone myself who was bullied through my school years (not because of race), you will always be my hero for the way you stood up for yourself and your culture.
I have changed my avatar as a display of admiration and respect for the great man, and I would encourage others do the same.

I found the whole program incredibly frustrating to watch. I was living in Melbourne at the time this all happened, and knew very few Sydney supporters. Opposition supporters can be virtually rabid when it comes to taking down champions from other teams regardless of what their supposed ammo is. Standing up for yourself and your culture should always be seen as an opportunity for others to learn, not an opportunity for people to call someone a sook or a flog.
I dont remember anyone EVER calling Goodes a diver, or a sniper, or a flog, until he defended himself against 'over the fence racism' (which he did with great grace and compassion).
I completely refute anyone saying the booing and harassment wasn't racially driven. It may have been compounded by a sheep like mob mentality, but at its core it was absolutely racist.
Adam Goodes was a champion. He got the best out of himself, and embodied everything we all love about footy.
Being made Australian of the year is an accolade which is designed to give recipients a platform to further social and community causes which are dear to their heart.
Goodes was entitled to use it to push for recognition of the indigenous plight, and was instead told to stop being a sook and shut up.
What an absolute disgrace the Australian public made of themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure Goodesy would be the very first person to forgive any of "US" who may have been lacking knowledge on why it was racism & who didn't do enough to call it out. Buckley for me falls into this category because as time went by & it became apparent it was getting worse, Bucks too changed his commentary on it. I respect Bucks for this.

Those people that continued with the same narrative publicly now deserve to be howled down for the back part of their lives, giving them even one tiny bit of the feeling many indigenous people have felt throughout their whole lives, with Goodsey being attacked in a place where he had every right to feel safe & loved after being such a wonderful footballer, on a football ground for 350 plus games.

IMO, not too much will change, but we can only hope.

I found the whole program incredibly frustrating to watch. I was living in Melbourne at the time this all happened, and knew very few Sydney supporters. Opposition supporters can be virtually rabid when it comes to taking down champions from other teams regardless of what their supposed ammo is. Standing up for yourself and your culture should always be seen as an opportunity for others to learn, not an opportunity for people to call someone a sook or a flog.
I dont remember anyone EVER calling Goodes a diver, or a sniper, or a flog, until he defended himself against 'over the fence racism' (which he did with great grace and compassion).
I completely refute anyone saying the booing and harassment wasn't racially driven. It may have been compounded by a sheep like mob mentality, but at its core it was absolutely racist.
Adam Goodes was a champion. He got the best out of himself, and embodied everything we all love about footy.
Being made Australian of the year is an accolade which is designed to give recipients a platform to further social and community causes which are dear to their heart.
Goodes was entitled to use it to push for recognition of the indigenous plight, and was instead told to stop being a sook and shut up.
This is fantastic...kudos to you!

Mate for what it's worth, Geelong were the single club and fanbase I came out if the whole ordeal with even more respect for.

The way you guys welcomed him back at the Cattery after his leave of absence, the signs in the stand etc, it was magnificent.

Mate for what it's worth, Geelong were the single club and fanbase I came out if the whole ordeal with even more respect for.

The way you guys welcomed him back at the Cattery after his leave of absence, the signs in the stand etc, it was magnificent.
I was really proud of our supporters that day. You cant tarnish an entire club by the behaviours of some, but it made me really proud that even the idiots among us behaved themselves.
I was hoping that would be the end of it.

No more needs to be said of scum like Bolt, Macguire, Devine, Jones, Newman... Brereton... so reasoned and thoughtful.... in his bigotry 🙄
Thought Hall was piss poor falling into line.... Buckley, like so many others, wishing they had done more...
Maybe some apologies forthcoming from around here, toward “Slobbo”... Karo and Whateley better than your average journo.
Interestingly, Sheehan on the Project afterwards, looking like he could use a little more education on the subject. Think Waleed was taken aback by a couple of things he said and sadly let it slide.
Tears thru footage of shows of support... tinged with a little sadness that maybe I could have done more.
I am really saddened that our once great country could inflict such pain on somebody. Like many here, I grew up in a age of ignorant casual racism, an ignorance that was bested by an underlying morality of support for a battler and a fair go for all.

His AOTY award could have done so much good for our cultural identity, for our nations coming of age, sadly an opportunity lost.
Such is the greatness of the man tho, I have little doubt he has much more to contribute.

I attend quite a few Geelong games because I live close by and they are a great crowd. IMO, they always have been.

I really hope the day comes when adam feels he can return to the game and the racist "knuckle heads" have learnt a valuable lesson or just stay away. Goodsey is a legend of the game, a highly intelligent individual who could still offer so much more. Imagine a day where adam returns to mcg packed with 60-80k fans and recieves a standing ovation. What a day that would be for the game and the great man

Of course it would be wonderful if Goodesy did the lap with lots of cheering. Even better would silence of respect for Adam and Indigenous Australians past a present. But I can't see this happening.

I suspect Goodesy is more interested in obtaining justice for First Peoples than his own benefit, satisfying tho big public acknowledgement.0

I really hope the day comes when adam feels he can return to the game and the racist "knuckle heads" have learnt a valuable lesson or just stay away. Goodsey is a legend of the game, a highly intelligent individual who could still offer so much more. Imagine a day where adam returns to mcg packed with 60-80k fans and recieves a standing ovation. What a day that would be for the game and the great man

Yes a lap of the G would be great but for the time being I expect it would prompt sustained booing.

I suspect Goodesy is more interested in obtaining justice for First Peoples than his own position.

The mods have the power to ban these flogs...this one is not only a coward but a racist one.

The worst thing about all this Mick, is I think the country has deteriorated since the mid 90s.

It is like there has been a decline in the human spirit and solidarity in this country.

Racists unless they are complete psychopaths used to hide under a rock. Now they are emboldened to publicly rank a person according to their skin colour or cultural background.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back