Play Nice The Final Quarter/Australian Dream

Remove this Banner Ad

is Australian Dream a separate doco to The Final Quarter?
Yep.

The Final Quarter was a non-narrated doco. Just taking snippets of media and footage at the time & whacking it all together... very very powerful.

The Australian Dream is a more traditional doco format. Interviewing the majority of participants in the Final Qtr (& others) to get thier thoughts/perspectives.

I'd recommend TFQ first then TAD after it if you are going to watch them mate.

Just finished watching The Final Quarter. It got me pretty upset reliving those years of continuous racial abuse of Goodes. I was saddened by the shame of casual racism in my own country, one where many still refuse to acknowledge the crimes of our ancestors, the embarrassment of complete and utter toss pots like Newman, Jones, Bolt and Devine who provided a disingenuous defence of the racists and tried to blame Adam, the incredible indifference of the AFL, guys like Buckley and too many other clubs and finally the plain stupidity of Eddie McGuire. There were plenty of positives in journalists like Caroline Wilson and others who stood for decency, the ordinary Australians who called out racism and defended Goodes, the heart-warming response of our incredible club who made me feel so privileged to be a supporter , but most of all the grace of the man himself who stood tall at the centre of the storm and implored us to finally embrace the original Australians and their 40000 yr old culture. A very moving doco and a conversation we need to keep having.

Watched the Australian Dream film. There is something very cerebral about how Goodsey conducted himself during that whole saga. Class and composure and eloquence from an indigenous man as opposed to the toy-throwing of parts of white Australia that kind of proved his point about how far Australia still has to go with ending racism.

Also glad that that neanderthal Newman is no longer on TV. Now that dumb prick Bolt please

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not one for watching TV but stumbled across the Colin Kaepernick story last night (The Price of Protest, SBS On Demand)... definitely not downplaying the disgusting treatment of our great man, but the human race is many generations away from any significant progress on this issue.
Anybody else watched it?
Interesting aside after spotting Australia’s own Peter Norman on the dais at the ‘68 Olympics with Tommie Smith and John Carlos... and the contrast between his treatment here and in the States afterwards. Gotta wonder if the US Olympic committee would be so supportive and reverential to Peter under the current regime?
Wiki has an adequate summary for anybody interested... including the posthumous apology passed in parliament in 2012.

Goodesy still going about his life with dignity and grace.

Until all Australians fell included in Australia Day, Jan 26 means nothing to me. About 10% of Australians have Aboriginal heritage.
Celebrating Australia Day that is not inclusive of all Australians to me is not right.
I am and have taught Aboriginal men and women for years. I have changed their lives and they have changed mine. Immeasurably.
Why is it so hard to change to a day where all Australians can feel as one.

Until all Australians fell included in Australia Day, Jan 26 means nothing to me. About 10% of Australians have Aboriginal heritage.
Celebrating Australia Day that is not inclusive of all Australians to me is not right.
I am and have taught Aboriginal men and women for years. I have changed their lives and they have changed mine. Immeasurably.
I totally agree with you about Australia Day mate but I don’t think we should have that discussion on this thread.

Was just posting as a proud Swans fan as further illustration of what a dignified, decent human being is our Goodesy.

I totally agree with you about Australia Day mate but I don’t think we should have that discussion on this thread.

Was just posting as a proud Swans fan as further illustration of what a dignified, decent human being is our Goodesy.
Nothing against you, SBD. But there is never an inappropriate place to talk about treating all Australians with dignity and pride and including indigenous Australians in that discussion. On Australia Day especially, where a lot do not see Australia Day astheir Australia Day. If something is not right we should discuss it. The more discussion the better.

Nothing against you, SBD. But there is never an inappropriate place to talk about treating all Australians with dignity and pride and including indigenous Australians in that discussion. On Australia Day especially, where a lot do not see Australia Day astheir Australia Day. If something is not right we should discuss it. The more discussion the better.
Ehhhh, imo it's too political. I honestly don't care about Australia day, I think the idea of a day for a country is nationalistic, and I don't think nationalism is ever good.

This is what I mean about it getting political, I agree with your sentiment about giving Indigenous Australians the respect they deserve, but I don't think that changing a day will do as much good as getting rid of the day.

IMO this board is just about swans in the media and political discussion, no matter how virtuous, should be taken elsewhere.

Well said . I couldn't believe that i read Aboriginal kids were not allowed at mainstream schools in NSW before 1976

Ehhhh, imo it's too political. I honestly don't care about Australia day, I think the idea of a day for a country is nationalistic, and I don't think nationalism is ever good.

This is what I mean about it getting political, I agree with your sentiment about giving Indigenous Australians the respect they deserve, but I don't think that changing a day will do as much good as getting rid of the day.

IMO this board is just about swans in the media and political discussion, no matter how virtuous, should be taken elsewhere.
The treatment of Adam Goodes and other indigenous Australian footballers in their workplace says otherwise. I think they are inextricably linked. I think on this day, whatever date it is, this board can make allowances and agree that more needs to be done for this nation to feel as one. Both on and off the field.

The treatment of Adam Goodes and other indigenous Australian footballers in their workplace says otherwise. I think they are inextricably linked. I think on this day, whatever date it is, this board can make allowances and agree that more needs to be done for this nation to feel as one. Both on and off the field.
I do agree that more needs to be done, I also agree it does need to be talked about, but I more talking about the topic of Australia day. I just personally don't feel this is the forum to have that discussion, I think it's complex and probably not compatible with a random forum on our board.

That's my opinion though, if you want to discuss it here, or talk about it more, I don't mind. I'm just backing up an opinion I agreed with.

I do agree that more needs to be done, I also agree it does need to be talked about, but I more talking about the topic of Australia day. I just personally don't feel this is the forum to have that discussion, I think it's complex and probably not compatible with a random forum on our board.

That's my opinion though, if you want to discuss it here, or talk about it more, I don't mind. I'm just backing up an opinion I agreed with.
It probably just the wrong thread , all the views on here seem valid.

No date change will ever satisfy activists. There will always be protests, I just ignore them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back