Play Nice The Final Quarter/Australian Dream

Remove this Banner Ad

I posted my thoughts about this on the main board, which was probably an error of judgement, but I thought I'd add them here where I would expect more sanity.

Not sure how anyone watches that doco and doesn't feel empathy for a guy who was pretty much run out of town for having the temerity to stand up for himself and his people. It was pretty heart wrenching to be honest.

It will long be remembered as a shameful period in our sport and country.

It was nice to revisit the actual comments that Goodes made about the girl and the care he had for her too.....as they fly in the face of some of the clowns on the main board(and our board) who portrayed him as having tied her to a stake for public execution and ridicule.

Goodes was forever eloquent and composed in the face of those who challenged him.

I've heard that our group were moved to tears when the doco was shown at Waverley, and I believe Wingard, Impey and Burgoyne have since been very strong on never sitting back and letting this sort of thing happen again(like most clubs now - see the condemnation of racist comments on social media earlier this year).

Still, the whole thing is just very sad.....it should never have gone on for as long as it did.

Special mention to Sam Newman, who showed once more what a classless piece of s**t he is.

What about post footy career stuff like that as well?
The other doco he participated in may be of interest when it comes out:

I posted my thoughts about this on the main board, which was probably an error of judgement, but I thought I'd add them here where I would expect more sanity.

Not sure how anyone watches that doco and doesn't feel empathy for a guy who was pretty much run out of town for having the temerity to stand up for himself and his people. It was pretty heart wrenching to be honest.

It was nice to revisit the actual comments that Goodes made about the girl and the care he had for her too.....as they fly in the face of some of the clowns on the main board(and our board) who portrayed him as having tied her to a stake for public execution and ridicule.

Goodes was forever eloquent and composed in the face of those who challenged him.

I've heard that our group were moved to tears when the doco was shown at Waverley, and I believe Wingard, Impey and Burgoyne have since been very strong on never sitting back and letting this sort of thing happen again(like most clubs now - see the condemnation of racist comments on social media earlier this year).

Still, the whole thing is just very sad.....it should never have gone on for as long as it did.

Special mention to Sam Newman, who showed once more what a classless piece of s**t he is.
You've been a class act, Abasi, despite being a Hawthorn supporter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good stuff Abasi.

The best thing I've noticed about this whole thing is how many people have realised that Goodesy has been an absolute gentleman throughout the whole thing & nothing but kind to the young girl, the opposite of how he was/is being portrayed by his detractors. Once the documentary gets going around the schools of Australia, Sam, Eddie, Bolt, Jones & co will go down as racist legends, not because they made one mistake but because they repeated their mistake over & over again, when more intelligent human beings at the very least would have just shut up when they realised Goodes was hurting.

Oh well, we need people like them in order to appreciate those that have publicly come out in support of Goodesy.
Adam Goodes is perhaps one of the nicest people on the planet, only guilty of defending his people.

Good stuff Abasi.

The best thing I've noticed about this whole thing is how many people have realised that Goodesy has been an absolute gentleman throughout the whole thing & nothing but kind to the young girl, the opposite of how he was/is being portrayed by his detractors. Once the documentary gets going around the schools of Australia, Sam, Eddie, Bolt, Jones & co will go down as racist legends, not because they made one mistake but because they repeated their mistake over & over again, when more intelligent human beings at the very least would have just shut up when they realised Goodes was hurting.

Oh well, we need people like them in order to appreciate those that have publicly come out in support of Goodesy.
Adam Goodes is perhaps one of the nicest people on the planet, only guilty of defending his people.

Shut up when they realised he was being hurt ? With that you have an explanation to a National Disgrace. A Section of Australia is a nation of Bullys with a ****ing sheep following ******* Mentality. Yes the whole thing had a racist taste to it but soulless insensitive nasty Bullying was the thing that drove it. Mark Robinson maybe a Fat cigarette smoking slob to many in appearance but his stance on the whole thing represented the good in a lot of this country's population, a caring compassionate race that respect and care for their fellow Australian be they Black or White. Make no mistake we have racists in this Country but we have many many more Bullies.

There's always going to be that group who blame him for pointing that girl out. I think it's because they don't quite understand why they are mad at him, so they feel perfectly justified defending a young girls right to call him racist things, over his right to defend himself against racism in his workplace.
Australians can be like hyenas sometimes, it takes a very brave person to expose their throat.

Last edited:
Finally got the chance to give it a watch. It provided a good timeline of what was just a very sad sequence of events.

Revisiting it, the fact that the booing and abuse was so evidently affecting Adam to the point where he had to take a leave from football and his mother came out to publicly plead for it to stop, and for it to still continue reveals a rather vicious and disturbing bully mentality that exists within society.

The noticeable thing from the documentary is the pure dishonesty displayed by his detractors in the media which reveals a particularly gross and cynical intent. The frustrating thing about it is that even those people who disagreed with Goodes could have played a positive role in helping people gain a better understanding of the issues he was raising. As Stan Grant said, people like Bolt had role to play in taking a controversial contrarian position that may have existed among sections of society and questioned what Goodes was saying - but still be receptive to the answers and in doing facilitate a substantive discussion around indigenous issues. Adam likely would have welcomed the discussion and the chance to better people's understanding on the subject.

But of course, that's not what happened. The way his detractors in the media framed him was clearly never to disagree with him but discredit him given much of what Jones, Bolt, and Devine did was attack his personal character, pull his words and actions out of context, and present the situation in a manner to make him look as bad as possible. No attempt to have an honest conversation. Say that he deliberately humiliated a 13-year-old girl while assuming the premise that he was able to ascertain her age from a 5-second glance to the crowd while ignoring his subsequent presser where he absolved her of blame and rallied people to support her. Say that his AOTY speech was him being divisive by mentioning 'invasion day' while ignoring the fact that he in the same speech said he came to accept the day as one of celebration. Just to name a few instances, the amount of spin was just astounding.

Hopefully the doco had some impact on affecting a change in attitudes within some people that previously saw Adam in a negative light during this time - that includes people featured negatively in it such as Eddie, I hope that his attitudes will be influenced for the better as a result of this. And if it doesn't affect any change now, at least what he actually said was presented in the actual context so that it can be seen that he conducted himself with a lot of grace and dignity, he took a stand against racism and expressed his culture passionately. That won't be overshadowed with revisionist history.

Proud of what Goodesy did and the work he continues to do post-footy, proud of the way our club supported and stood with him.

And Andrew Bolt at it again On The Herald Sun Website.
I know why but how Bolt gets a gig is beyond me WW. I'm not an Waleed fan but what he said on Offsiders this am was spot on, those that watched the doco were in the majority in favour of it/ Goodes/swans etc, those that didn't couldn't care less and won't change their opinions/viewpoint. There are exceptions of course.

I know why but how Bolt gets a gig is beyond me WW. I'm not an Waleed fan but what he said on Offsiders this am was spot on, those that watched the doco were in the majority in favour of it/ Goodes/swans etc, those that didn't couldn't care less and won't change their opinions/viewpoint. There are exceptions of course.

Have to admit I wish the whole thing Would just go away now. By no means do I mean the stance on Racism I just mean the whole Goodes Thing. Enough is Enough. Distressing for him, his family, His friends & The people that acknowledge what an ornament to the game and society that he genuinely is. His detractors will always be there but they don't deserve oxygen. Enough Now.

Adam moving on

Don't care Gillon what you say

Adam moving on

Don't care Gillon what you say
Thanks SP, I was going to post 2nd article via The Age but couldn’t open it to everyone but you managed to go one better!

Excuse my language by Gil can go * himself! Flog!

Gil cares about how he & the AFL looks. End of story.

PR in overdrive now... Where were you when the heat was on or the subsequent YEARS after?

Nowhere. Silent. Hoping it would blow away...

I can see straight through your pathetic attempt at damage control & it doesn't change my opinion of you or the AFL 1 little bit Gil.

I believe that when the heat is on a persons true character often comes to the forefront. Courage, empathy, honesty, integrity... All clearly lacking IMO.

Why don't you go change some more rules & pretend to know what you are doing & stop trying to use this as a chance to save face instead of accept blame? (Hint: self interest)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back