The final sirens at Subiaco Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Freo play their final game at the ground and next weekend the Eagles will probably close out its AFL tenure. After that, there's just the WAFL Grand Final and then the International Rules and its future after that is ambiguous.

There hasn't been much fanfare for this, which is strange, because the end of a ground is a big deal in other sports. I understand there is a direct link to one club and usually that ground has been the only place that team's been at.

The ground opened in 1908 and its future is ambiguous, which may be the main cause for many stadiums not having a sense of finality with their last matches. Plenty of arenas sit empty or decaying for ages and it'll probably happen with Subi as well. There are plans to retain the heritage gates and utilise the parkland either side of the ends, with a school at the city end and a couple of blocks of stands retained with an oval for WAFL footy in the middle.

Australians are very excited to move on and upward, which is understandable, and when you're looking at AAMI Stadium to Adelaide Oval or Subi to Perth Stadium, there really isn't a huge amount to decry. But these venues have been venues for memories and occasions, big and small, obvious and not so. Players and fans, games and wins and losses and whatever else. There's been some cracking games of WAFL, including the 1979 Grand Final between South Fremantle and East Fremantle... seesawing, high scoring, a few jumper punches, some of the best players in footy history all on the same ground... State of Origin, concerts, Eagles and Dockers' entire histories revolving around it, and of course this:

An appalling decision of disregard and plain old nastiness, this one. Freo were nothing but noble and it's a proud moment that a fledging club were happy to move this match to Melbourne. Instead the club paid for singers and old club greats to come over. With Subi going, another last little tether of Fitzroy in the AFL quietly slips off.

For many people, West Aussies, Subiaco is where most people had their formative experiences with something that would be with them for life – the thing guiding them on weekends, in small talk, making new mates in pubs, maybe even the start of their own AFL careers.

For me, it is ingrained as a bit of a ritual. I would go with my dad and we'd get the train up from Fremantle Station, do the same thing most game days, get there early and see the boys walk around in their bare feet getting a feel for the oval, cringe at them pulling the anchor out, inevitably not hear the club song at the end of it, then going to Subiaco station where the first train to go past was busy, the next one was packed, and the other two were out of service. After 45 minutes you'd get back on and get off at Fremantle, have some tea, and go home.

When I was a student I'd get the bus there and would sit in a different part of the ground every weekend Freo played. The pavement was always damp and dank and your feet would freeze, then the late winter orange would come out and you got that classic Sunday feeling of twilight and inevitable dread... wait I was a student so I was probably just hungover as * and had the horrors and not dreading another week of work... Sitting in a few different areas, the old three tier stand is probably one of the worst things you could watch professional sport in is my take away from it all, and yet a majority of my memories are from there. It took about 20 minutes to walk up because the stairwell was so thin and yet it was the biggest stand. No idea how it passed OH&S but they got through it I guess...

My favourite game there was probably the only derby I got to see, back in 2012. Pav kicked more goals than the entire Eagles side. Absolute clinic. That win gave us some real momentum and it was the start of a good couple of years for the club, where it felt we were on the brink and actually going to finally do something. I remember he kicked a goal in just about every way... one off the left, one off the ground, one from the pocket... we were right behind the goals where it seemed basically all of them went through as well. From memory, Sonny Walters played a good one too.

When I was a kid, I'd be amazed by the girls walking around in purple jumpers and it was the train rides and lines for microwave-heated chicken rolls where I first had my encounters of momentary crushes. I probably liked my first few girls while en route to Freo games.

Now a lot of the places we went to are closing down and the suburb is preparing to cater to its local people and not the weekend crowd of bad club polos, bootleg jeans, and pointy dress shoes.

It would be nice to see it well converted and utilised for local sport and the odd WAFL game, and there's probably a basic shell of a nice low key ground there.

What do you remember about Subi?

Being at the other end of the ground when Nic Nat kicked three in the last quarter in his 2nd game.

Pouring with rain, was in general admin behind the goals so couldn't see all that much - but I still to this day will never forget how loud that crowd was that night.

Is my favourite football memory.

Went to my one and only game of footy with my dad there in 97'. He had a lot of issues relating from a workplace accident so he summoned all his strength to take me to a game. the ground will always hold a special place in my football heart!

I've been a couple of times, all of them freo were thrashed. Good memories of the crowd though, very passionate including even the eagles fans who turn up to watch the dockers and shout abuse.

I always got the wooden bench seats which were highly uncomfortable. I hope the new ground is a lot better.

Being at the other end of the ground when Nic Nat kicked three in the last quarter in his 2nd game.

Pouring with rain, was in general admin behind the goals so couldn't see all that much - but I still to this day will never forget how loud that crowd was that night.

Is my favourite football memory.

Went to my one and only game of footy with my dad there in 97'. He had a lot of issues relating from a workplace accident so he summoned all his strength to take me to a game. the ground will always hold a special place in my football heart!

I was there too.

Not my favourite memory, but I was in awe

My first memory was watching State Of Origin matches which were beamed into Melbourne on Tuesday afternoons in the 1980s. The 3 tiered stand seemed to standout compared to the rest of the ground.
Would get home just in time from school to watch the first bounce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was glad to get to a game at Subiaco earlier this season before the move to the new Perth Stadium.

Unfortunately, it wasn't a great experience as Fremantle rolled North Melbourne with the final goal of the match. The crowd erupting when Shane Kersten kicked the matchwinner was like nothing I've ever seen before. I've been to games with much bigger crowds (90,000 at the 2015 Elimination Final) but the frenzy the Fremantle supporters were in was breathtaking.

Oh, also remember listening to a lot of 4:40pm Sunday games on the radio as a kid as we didn't have Foxtel growing up, and hearing that bell every time Peter Bell got a touch.

Here's a few of mine that I've been at and really stick in my mind.

Always great to beat the eagles, especially with the Jobe (who kicked two lovely goals) and Dank stuff hanging over the game, and in such tight circumstances too - a good comeback as well, down 17 at 3/4 time.

Same season, a really huge comeback - down six goals at half time and only had the one goal to show for it, Ryder kicked the goal to go ahead with a minute left then we get two incredible strokes of luck - Duffield's goal looks on target then bounces left and misses by an inch and Mayne hits the post from dead in front, couldn't get any luckier but still a ripper win - against the season's Grand Finallists too.

I was only really a kid at this one, still remember it clear as day though. What a way to end the game.

Wasn't the premiership that broke the 15-year drought (including 4 grand final losses), that was the year before, but that was an easy win while this one was very tight. Up by 47 at quarter time, thought it was in the bag, then threw it all away and lead by 7 at 3/4 time and it got down to 1 for a lot of the last quarter before kicking a few late ones. Yes the 2010 one was the better game but it ******* broke my heart so not including it near this - ******* Krakouer, lazy 40 touches and 4 goals including the matchwinner 33-minutes into the last term, and that flog Coniglio (but a gun for me in supercoach) kicked four as well.

I'll be at the Freo-Richmond game on Sunday too, hopefully it's good enough to add to this list (probably not though unless Riewoldt kicks 18).

I'm glad to have gotten over to Perth for at least one game at Subiaco before it was abandoned, and that was last year when Port got beaten by Freo who had only won 2 games for the year up at that point. Also lucky enough to help hold the banner up for Port that day.

We copped some floggings over there but it was always hold fond memories for Port supporters due to our comeback win in the 2014 SF.

SUBIACO Oval won’t be saved by a State heritage listing when football moves to Burswood. It will become a development site.

Pave paradise and put up a parking lot!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will never forget the phallic inflatable anchors atop the stands whenever Fremantle played

36-R22.jpg

An appalling decision of disregard and plain old nastiness, this one. Freo were nothing but noble and it's a proud moment that a fledging club were happy to move this match to Melbourne.

That's not true at all. Moving the match and refunding all the members, sponsors et al was going to cost the club about $1.5m from memory. A significant amount for 20 years ago and for a 2 year old club that wasn't rolling in cash at the time.

My first memory was watching State Of Origin matches which were beamed into Melbourne on Tuesday afternoons in the 1980s. The 3 tiered stand seemed to standout compared to the rest of the ground.

I was beginning to think I'd dreamed that SOO games were played on weekdays. Thanks for confirming that my childhood memories are intact and that my alcohol intake is not at worrying levels yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back