The finals 22

Remove this Banner Ad

With the influx of a few injuries coming back in the next few weeks - thoughts on the final makeup of our best 22 come finals.

My thoughts are a lot of decisions could almost be horses for courses. In particular the likelihood that no likely opposition team will have a dominant ruckman should mean that Allen fills in the second ruck role.

There are probably 15 who have zero doubt

Backs: TB, Gov, Jetta, Hurn, Sheppard
Mids: Yeo, Shuey, Gaff, Sheed, Redden
Forwards: JK, JD, Willie, Ryan, Cripps

So that leaves us finding 7 players out of

Duggan, Nelson, Schofield, Allen, Hickey, Petch, Cameron, Waterman, Watson, Hutchings, Masten & possibly Naitanui

Gut feel says it is Duggan, Nelson, Hickey, Petch, Hutchings, Masten, Allen

Which means from Saturday just gone it is

Waterman -> Cripps
Cameron -> Hutch
Watson -> Hurn
Schofield/Nelson -> Duggan

The two queries for me are

Schofield or Nelson - i can actually see Schofield getting picked, particularly if we play Richmond.

If NN is fit - do we go with a combo of NN/Allen. Given no team has a dominant ruckman - can we risk Oscar for a) 40% ruck time or worse should NN go down again? Or do we go lesser risk with NN/Hickey. Personally the collingwood game showed to me that we can't risk having all 3 of NN/Oscar/Hickey in the same side - as we run out of legs. My gut feel here is we will run the risk and drop Hickey - watching rucking by schofield on saturday and Darling throughout the season suggests that is what we are planning for.

And on top of all that - there is likelihood of further injury - it just highlights to me we have depth in most spots except midfield. Cross your bloody fingers!

This weeks podcast discusses exactly this

Hurn for Watson
Cripps for Cameron
Hutchings for Waterman
Duggan for Petrucelle

I doubt Naitanui will be fit. As for others like Vardy, Cole, The four above, and other fringe players, well that comes down to injury and form.

Sheppard - Barrass - Schofield
Jetta - McGovern - Hurn
Masten - Yeo - Gaff
Cripps - Darling - Ryan
Allen - Kennedy - Rioli

Hickey - Shuey - Sheed

Duggan - Hutchings - Nelson - Redden

That'd give us five new premiership players (Gaff, Sheppard, Nelson, Hickey, Allen)

Mmmm some very tough selections coming up!

IF Nic nat is fit and ready to ruck and roll come finals this would be my squad.

Hurn Barrass Shep
Duggan Gov Jetta

Masten Sheed Gaff

Cripps Darling Redden
Ryan JK Rioli

Ruck: Nic Nat Shuey Yeo

Bench: Schofield , Pet, Hickey, Hutchings

Back line: Tough call going in with Schofield but just settles the backline as he can play small and tall which allows Barrass and Gov to do their thing. Duggan can help tackle the smalls.

Midfield: Starting midfield of Masten, Shuey, Sheed, Gaff, Yeo, Hutchings & Redden is our best lineup. Rioli and Cripps to rotate into the midfield. Hutchings to put a hard tag on the oppos best mid.

Forward line: Cameron unlucky but with Pet , Rioli and Cripps all playing the same role i think it might clash to much.

Unlucky:

Oscar Allen: Cant see us playing him alongside Hickey & Nic Nat in case we go in to tall. Hickey needs to be starting ruck with Nic nat or Allen being his backup purely because Hickey can be that bash and crash ruckman who can ruck most of the game.

The biggest dilemma for me is what we do if Nic Nat does make it back. Like others have said I think playing all of Nic, Hickey and OA makes us too tall. If we were to loose a running player in-game I feel this lineup will hurt us just like it did during the Collingwood game.

It could be interesting to start a poll. Providing Nic makes it back do you think we should...

1) Back ourselves in and play Nic, Hickey and OA
2) Play Nic and Hickey and make the tough decision to drop OA
3) Take a big risk and play Nic and OA and drop Hickey

I have my doubts on the match committee dropping OA when they haven't all year. However, they may have learned a valuable lesson from the Collingwood game. Interesting times ahead. Of course Nic may not make it back and this debate is redundant.

Assuming we have no injury concerns, which is unlikely, the last 4 or 5 spots are totally dependent on the week to week form of fringe players - consider Masten's selection chances now versus a month ago for example.

Some general thoughts

- I think Schofield/Barrass/Gov is the best tall defender configuration.

Playing Schoey as a lock down on the most dangerous forward frees up Barrass and Gov to zone off and play their natural games. Rather than having to worry about their men they become oversized flankers. We did this last year for 2/2 finals wins, it works.

-I think the dual ruck combination is necessary, so HickNat if Nic's available.

- Hutchings is a must, ditto Cripps

Out of the current team I'd go

In: Nic, Cripps, Hutchings, Hurn
Out: Waterman, Watson, Nelson, Cameron

B: Shep Barrass Hurn
HB: Duggan McGovern Jetta
C: Masten Redden Gaff
HF: Rioli Darling Cripps
F: Ryan Kennedy Petruccelle
R: Hickey Yeo Shuey

I: Oallen, Hutchings, Sheed, Schofield

My team picked on the basis that Naita ded. I will feel terribad for Nelson if he keeps playing well and gets edged out due to bulk availability of players.

Plot Twist: Nelson supplants Masten in the defensive winger role and gets a medallion.

Just on Nelson - his run and dash has been noticeable the last few weeks

Going to be some hard luck stories no doubt

Cole a mile from selection now - he provides zero rebound and can’t defend as well as Schofield

That’s quite the drop off

Just on Nelson - his run and dash has been noticeable the last few weeks

Going to be some hard luck stories no doubt

Cole a mile from selection now - he provides zero rebound and can’t defend as well as Schofield

That’s quite the drop off

Cole will come right. Nelson had a bit of a horror 2018 and now he is looking AFL standard.

Our succession planning is looking in good shape if Venables can get right and Ainers comes on.

As I see it there’s 5 spots available with a full list which reduces to 4 should Naitanui recover

McGovern, Barrass, Hurn, sheppard, Jetta and Duggan are locks down back

Hickey, Yeo, Shuey, gaff, Sheed and redden are automatic midfield picks

Kennedy, Darling, Cripps, Rioli and Ryan certain starters as forwards

Leaves Schofield and Nelson competing for the final defenders spot and that will likely come down to matchups. I have a preference for Schofield as his experience gives us a bit more stability and allows Gov and sexual more freedom to do their thing. After Nelson we have Rotham, Cole and Watson as depth - it’s the area of the ground we’re best equipped to cover injuries

Leaves 4 spots to fill across the mids and forwards - Naitanui if he can get his ankle right takes one. If he isn’t Oallen is a lock ahead of Vardy given the latters form issues

Masten and Hutchings are then competing for the last midfield spot. If there’s a clear tagging target for Hutchings he plays, otherwise Masten gets the nod

Up forward Petruccelle is probably first in line as 6th forward selected. Beyond that Cameron and Waterman are notionally fighting for the last (7th) spot with competition from Hutchings if he doesn’t have a midfield tag and plays as a defensive HF and Oallen if Naitanui returns. Achee an outside chance

TLDR - Schofield, Nelson, Hutchings, Masten, Petruccelle, Cameron, Oallen, Waterman are fighting for those 5 spots which reduces to 4 if Nic returns

Solid squad of 26/27 heading into finals with Rotham, Watson, Cole, Achee, Vardy and Brander waiting in the wings as players who’ve had games this year they could come as injury cover

FB : Hurn ~ Barrass ~ Sheppard
HB: Jetta ~ Gov ~ Duggan

CENTRE: Masten ~ Sheed ~ Gaff

HF: Cripps ~ Darling ~ Hutchings
FF: Rioli ~ Kennedy ~ Ryan

RUCK: Naitanui ~ Shuey ~ Yeo

BENCH: Schofield ~ Redden ~ Hickey ~ Allen

That's the best back 7 if you include Schoey. Good balance of lock down and rebounding types. Next in line are Cole and Nelson

Masten is the dispensable midfielder for me. Don't think him and Hutchings will work together in the same 22 unless he can add an extra string to his game. In terms of his replacement I think Petrucelle is first available with a big cross fingers for Venables availability.

The forward six is pretty similar to the 2018 GF one with Hutchings a floater depending on what opposition player needs to be clamped down on.

Allen I think with his flexibility looks to be a likely best 22 player for the first final

Changes from the 2018 GF team are:

OUT: Lycett, LeCras, Vardy, Cole, Venables, POTENTIAL: Masten
IN: Sheppard, Gaff, Naitanui, Hickey, Allen, POTENTIAL: Petrucelle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sheppard and Gaff obvious ins from last year, Naitanui also if fit. Depending who we come up against Hickey and Allen have different value. Melbourne won't feature and none of Geelong, Richmond, GWS, Brisbane have superstar rucks. Brisbane's second ruck is a giant though. It's only Collingwood with Grundy who we really need to focus on.

Other than Naitanui getting fit I think the most important player to come back is Hutchings. Side Steelebottom had 33 touches against us the other week. Jarman Impey had barely a handful in half a game when Hutchings was on him then ended up with 20 and in the coaches votes with a big second half off half back. It would be great to have Hutchings available to tag someone like Sidebottom who he has already shut down, or Kelly from Geelong who is taggable, or someone like Houli from Richmond who gets a heap of kicks from half back.

As I see it there’s 5 spots available with a full list which reduces to 4 should Naitanui recover

TLDR - Schofield, Nelson, Hutchings, Masten, Petruccelle, Cameron, Oallen, Waterman are fighting for those 5 spots which reduces to 4 if Nic returns

You wouldn’t consider hutch in the forwards considering his role on small backs

In particular I could see him playing a role on houli

With Rioli finding fitness - can definitely see him and Cripps getting some wing/mid minutes

You wouldn’t consider hutch in the forwards considering his role on small backs

In particular I could see him playing a role on houli

With Rioli finding fitness - can definitely see him and Cripps getting some wing/mid minutes

Absolutely it’s a consideration and I thought I said as much

“Beyond that Cameron and Waterman are notionally fighting for the last (7th) spot with competition from Hutchings if he doesn’t have a midfield tag and plays as a defensive HF”

The most pleasing thing for me is that we have 9-10 players that you could make a solid case for playing as part of our best 22 but there’s only 4-5 spots available. Sucks to be the ones that miss out but it’s a good problem to have

Absolutely it’s a consideration and I thought I said as much

“Beyond that Cameron and Waterman are notionally fighting for the last (7th) spot with competition from Hutchings if he doesn’t have a midfield tag and plays as a defensive HF”

The most pleasing thing for me is that we have 9-10 players that you could make a solid case for playing as part of our best 22 but there’s only 4-5 spots available. Sucks to be the ones that miss out but it’s a good problem to have
sorry mate - was reading on my phone on the train

:(

My team if everyone is fit (highly unlikely)

B: Hurn, Barrass, Schofield
HB: Jetta, McGovern, Sheppard
C: Gaff, Shuey, Hutchings
HF: Rioli, Darling, Cripps
FF: Ryan, Kennedy, Cameron
R: Naitanui, Yeo, Sheed
I: Hickey, Nelson, Duggan, Redden

Unlucky Allen

C: Gaff, Shuey, Redden
FF: Ryan, Kennedy, Petch

I: Hickey, Hutchings, Cameron, Nelson/Duggan

Difficult to split Nelson and Duggan. Duggan was the incumbent in the 22 but Nelson's form has been too good to warrant dropping him. If he keeps up his form, it may be better to ride with the known quantity rather than an underdone Duggan (particularly when also selecting an underdone Naitanui). If Nelson's form dips and if Duggan can return in time to get some match fitness in the WAFL, I'd be happy for Duggan to replace Nelson.

As others have discussed, Barrass and Gov look much better when Schofield is there to remain accountable.

I prefer a smaller forward line (particularly with Naitanui and Hickey in the team) but realistically the match committee will continue to select Allen, probably at the expense of Cameron/Petch.

So is Masten best 22?

I’d say probably not. I’d imagine they would prefer hutch’s versatility to tag when required.

While Nic is out, I’d say its waterman, petch and cameron fighting for 2 spots. And I think we would rather play 2 of those guys up forward than shoehorn a 7th mid on the HFF.

My team if everyone is fit (highly unlikely)

C: Gaff, Shuey, Hutchings
FF: Ryan, Kennedy, Cameron
I: Hickey, Nelson, Duggan, Redden

Unlucky Allen

Im the same here except i have

Cameron in for Waterman.
Duggan for Schofield.
Nic for the unlucky Allen.

Which leaves Petruccelle in the team instead of Schofield on yours. Another wing/fwd rotation Instead of another lock down defender.

All year i argue that Masten n Waterman dont belong and its looking very likely both wont be best 22 for finals this season.
Cameron is just having a rest and will be back vs Tigers for Waterman.

Leaves Duggan for Schofield.
And big one people will argue is Nic for Allen but this is the only option with Nics status. 2020 different story if he gets a good run at it.

Leaves Schofield and Nelson competing for the final defenders spot and that will likely come down to matchups. I have a preference for Schofield as his experience gives us a bit more stability and allows Gov and sexual more freedom to do their thing. After Nelson we have Rotham, Cole and Watson as depth - it’s the area of the ground we’re best equipped to cover injuries

Leaves 4 spots to fill across the mids and forwards - Naitanui if he can get his ankle right takes one. If he isn’t Oallen is a lock ahead of Vardy given the latters form issues

Masten and Hutchings are then competing for the last midfield spot. If there’s a clear tagging target for Hutchings he plays, otherwise Masten gets the nod

Up forward Petruccelle is probably first in line as 6th forward selected. Beyond that Cameron and Waterman are notionally fighting for the last (7th) spot with competition from Hutchings if he doesn’t have a midfield tag and plays as a defensive HF and Oallen if Naitanui returns. Achee an outside chance

Solid squad of 26/27 heading into finals with Rotham, Watson, Cole, Achee, Vardy and Brander waiting in the wings as players who’ve had games this year they could come as injury cover

I agreed wholehartedly with this post at the time, but quite a lot has changed in the 3 weeks since (and fingers crossed nothing else will change in the 2 weeks until finals).

Seeing the vision of Naitanui at training last week has me in no doubt he's coming back & I couldn't be more excited.
Oscar has locked himself in the team imo, but unfortunately I think Hutch's season is over.

DEF: McGovern, Barrass, Hurn, Sheppard, Jetta, Duggan, A

MID: Hickey, Naitanui, Yeo, Shuey, Gaff, Sheed, Redden, B

FWD: Kennedy, Darling, Oscar, Cripps, Rioli, Ryan, C

This leaves Schofield, Nelson, Masten, Petruccelle, Cameron, Waterman fighting for those 3 spots.

Daresay Schofield is in the box seat for position A, with selection for R23 v Hawks to show who's in line for B & C.
Nelson would give flexibility to tag in midfield as well as fill in down back, whereas Masten is a solid role player who fits the gameplan brilliantly by always providing an option out of defence (something that was noticeably missing from R22 v Tigers).
Position C is a toss of the coin, with perhaps Waterman the unlucky outsider due to the additional height of bringing Naitanui back.

All in all, I'd be happy with any of those fringe players in. Some tough calls to be made, but an exciting time ahead!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back