Prediction The FINALS ahead - how many wins?

What will our finals record be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi guys.
Sorry to intrude, but most of you know I'm a big fan of the Cats. Not sure supporters have a "second side" anymore, but I barrack for you guys every week, unless you're playing the Blues of course...

Anyway, I think on your day, when you play the Geelong way, there isn't a team that can stop you. There's no reason you can't go all the way. It is an odd numbered year too, which definitely helps...

But one thing at a time. Just make sure you demolish those pretenders Richmond and send them back to whatever rock they crawled out from under.

Good luck guys, would love to see you send off a couple of champions with a flag.

Cheers mate. Also thanks to your team for ending hawthorns finals chances :handok:

There is no logical reason why we can't play good football at MCG, we are a highly skilled, running team.

Take out the Swans loss in Prelim and our record there is not appalling. The Swans stranglehold on us prevails everywhere so not related to ground.

The Essendon loss does not look too bad in retrospect and we were in a deep form funk at the time (Gold Coast beat us the week before).

IMO the ground makes a massive difference. Our defensive zone is awesome at Simonds. Due to the narrow ground we clog up the space really well and choke the opposition's path out of defence. You could see it clear as day on Saturday night - whenever GWS tried to pass their way through by foot we picked them off, eventually they just resorted to going long down the line which was easy pickings for Taylor, Lonergan, Hendo, etc. That's how we kept the ball in our forward line for almost the entire 3rd quarter.

On the 'G though, the players stationed across half back have to be another 10-15 metres apart to cover the wider ground, and it becomes pretty easy for a team with good foot skills (which is all of the finalists) to pick their way through and/or switch to the other side.

IMO the ground makes a massive difference. Our defensive zone is awesome at Simonds. Due to the narrow ground we clog up the space really well and choke the opposition's path out of defence. You could see it clear as day on Saturday night - whenever GWS tried to pass their way through by foot we picked them off, eventually they just resorted to going long down the line which was easy pickings for Taylor, Lonergan, Hendo, etc. That's how we kept the ball in our forward line for almost the entire 3rd quarter.

On the 'G though, the players stationed across half back have to be another 10-15 metres apart to cover the wider ground, and it becomes pretty easy for a team with good foot skills (which is all of the finalists) to pick their way through and/or switch to the other side.

Right on the money. At the MCG we try, but we are vulnerable to the very wide switch in the backline. The players that we have used to press up suddenly become caught in a pretty useless position.

Exactly what I'm afraid of. But at the end of the day we can't use the ground as an excuse if we lose. If we can't figure out a way to stop teams scoring heavily on the G, then we don't deserve it. After all that's where the grand final is played.

The club has stopped talking about where the finals are being played. And is focused on just trying to win anywhere anytime. Fans should do the same.

as it should have been from day1... it just plays into the victim mentality.... All our finals should be played at the G... its where you play the big one. IF we get beaten it shows we are not really good enough , or have a particular weakness that we need to address exposed by certain teams.
Our best side in the past played well at the G..we should always have a structure plays well there. I do wonder sometimes if we would be better off if KP was basically the same size as the G.

Sydney have beaten us everywhere... if we play them I doubt they will care where we play them...and thats as it should be for serious final contenders.
Are we real or just pretenders... we won 3 flags never playing at KP... Finals at the G ... against Rich ..Bring it on! Sharpen the axe and let the chips fly.

You can make it a productive week.
My Eastern boys play in Ballarat this week, last game, a HOME game believe it or not. Might go along and watch them.
Lots to do. It's just the delay until we get to the Tigers, and the annoying loss of momentum, which we certainly have. BUT, more time to get Joel and Cocky back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a good chance.

What goes in our favour is adelaide is good enough to beat sydney at AO but then a good chance to go to water in a GF, we need to stay in as long as possible and hope the Crows/GWS knock sydney out.
Cool story but I reckon mentally we are our biggest enemy. Hopefully the coaching staff get us in the right frame of mind. That's why we need Selwood back fit ASAP.

What you say makes perfect sense. Let's hope we begin to see some benefit from training at Deakin for 2 seasons.

I didn't think we could finish second. Great achievement by the cats. If we beat Richmond we can go all the way to the grand final. If we lose we'll most likely meet Sydney and it'll be straight sets.

The draw is set up nicely for us. We seem to match up well on Richmond and GWS (I expect Adelaide to win week 1), and would take in a good amount of confidence from previous results. The variable which will hurt us is the MCG and its wide expanses. Which suits both Richmond and GWS. With Richmond also having the home crowd factor. We haven't played that well at the G this year but at least have managed to grind out close wins there recently.

The other factor is the team failing to back up H&A performances in finals in recent years. The turnover of the list is very high though, and the boys who had their maiden Geelong finals experience last year will be better for that run. I believe with less declining veterans and more pace in the team, we are far better placed to handle frantic finals football than in 2014 or even last year. Our opponents, and likely opponents in GWS and Richmond have minimal finals experience too which works to our advantage. I think we'll have the knowhow to get over the line against these two if the cards fall that way.

I'm still concerned about the other side of the draw. I don't think Sydney are dead certainties by any stretch of the imagination, but facing them in a GF would be less than ideal, you just know they'd put their choke jobs to bed against their bunnies. Meanwhile if Adelaide take out the Sydney sides I could see them doing the same to us. Although that would be close to a 50/50 game, I'm just being cynical really. I think we could go one step further and have an honourable GF loss, making me salty for all of eternity.

I think he meant sat arvo.

I expect us to lose against Richmond as they will be fired up and the crowed will be absolutely deafening. They like to run and we will struggle to stop it on the G. If only this game was at SS :(.

Then my worst nightmare will come true in meeting the Swans in another final, which I'd give us a 10% chance of winning.
tenor.gif

Should win against the Tigers but I can't help but think that for all our finals that we need a wild card small forward / line breaker - for mine, our chances will be much better if Cocky plays. His pace and tackling could be the difference.

Back